Auteur Sujet: Corp Commanders Becoming Inoperable After Engagements  (Lu 3753 fois)

Hors ligne Mr. Doran

• Lieutenant
Corp Commanders Becoming Inoperable After Engagements
« le: 15 avril 2019, 14:23:25 pm »
After a possibly bloody engagement corp commanders sometimes go into a state of being totally incapable of being commanded. The corp commander AI is turned off automatically by indication of the light bulb turning red and any effort to turn the AI back on leading to it being automatically turned back off. Is this the games way of saying that a Corp commander refuses to give battle anymore? Because when it happens I just reassign his brutalized forces to a different commander and issue a court-martial for his insubordination. What is most puzzling is that this behavior can occur even when the strength of the corp is still mainly intact and battle worthy.

So, is this a bug or is it intended behavior?

Hors ligne zu Pferd

• Colonel
    • [IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/20f5jja.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/20f5jja.jpg[/IMG]
Re : Corp Commanders Becoming Inoperable After Engagements
« Réponse #1 le: 11 septembre 2020, 16:47:29 pm »
Hello Doran,

signifies his unwillingness to fight period.

His status ought to be Reserve, if the Corps has enough strength left. and in a defense stance (?) 
   in the process of  recovering from battle fatigue.
   However there is a breaking point as recovery is no longer possible within the time
   limit constraint of the game, which is set at the beginning ie: how long is the battle going to last. (as far as I went
   with it).

Long time testers such as AJ or Gunner and French Club players who played assiduously could help you better,
   and JMM if he wasn't so busy building V6 on his own.

You can reassign his troops.
   The simulation is rather unforgiving. Using all your resources for a strong attack  albeit a dictum of Napoleon
   can be countered with another which said: don't attack him in the front when you can attack him on the flank.
   So you used up a lot of  your men in a vainglory attempt to take a strong position:
   (Ebelsberg) what you are going to get is a letter from Lannes, reprimanding your rash decision, and you
   put him (Lannes) in a difficult position after he received a letter from HMN complaining about Your behavior.

or nearly court Martialled as in the case of  Bernadotte, for not getting his men to fight at all.
   Is the leadership value of Bernadotte go toward getting his troops to fight well ? for how long?
   Saxon troop value ? how long will they fight ?

Hope this helps with your testing.

`` Non ridere, non lugere, neque detestari, sed inteligere``
Spinoza

Hors ligne Mr. Doran

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #2 le: 11 septembre 2020, 20:09:41 pm »
    I can accept this as much more of a product of the type of real randomness that should and need exist if it weren't for the fact that I've seen this type of behavior occur  quite often which heavily reduces it's credibility of being random. Even if it is not to be the corp commander to continue on his divisional command, which we should also obviously have access to,  should still act with some level of coherency. As I already pointed out, the effect if even intentional, is somewhat ruined by the fact you can just reassign his command. True incoherent randomness or not, it is not modeled well here.

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
« Réponse #3 le: 12 septembre 2020, 01:28:28 am »
After a possibly bloody engagement corp commanders sometimes go into a state of being totally incapable of being commanded. The corp commander AI is turned off automatically by indication of the light bulb turning red and any effort to turn the AI back on leading to it being automatically turned back off. Is this the games way of saying that a Corp commander refuses to give battle anymore? Because when it happens I just reassign his brutalized forces to a different commander and issue a court-martial for his insubordination. What is most puzzling is that this behavior can occur even when the strength of the corp is still mainly intact and battle worthy.

So, is this a bug or is it intended behavior?
Hello,
Very nice question !!

This kind of behavior is not random...
A corp is deployed on a surface defined by the front line and the reserve line. If this surface is occupied by free opponent units and your corp has no units in reserve, the corp is disbanded and you can't keep control of the units.

You can try to avoid this...
a) you must define a front line consistent with the number of units,
b) you must keep a reserve... it seems that 30% is a good value.
c) it is very interesting to detach some units from your corps  in order to have a reserve... When you see a corps starting to have problems, you can attach units (one at least) to avoid the rout.

This kind of behavior is the worst because each unit of the corp is in flight and the guns are left on the battlefield.

I hope it's clear.

JMM

Hors ligne zu Pferd

• Colonel
    • [IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/20f5jja.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/20f5jja.jpg[/IMG]
« Réponse #4 le: 13 septembre 2020, 20:41:50 pm »
Thanks JMM
                             for sorting the reply, not trying to appear to be clever as to describe something
I've haven't built myself, only interpreting the behavior of the game, and I'm not always nailing it,
considering that Mr Doran is way far more schooled then me as to game design, I have to concede
the point to him.

Good to look into the artillery casualty and or if it can be tied to a morale effect, and
certainly a general order to hold fire on the HQ and the unit card itself its not a bad idea.
You ought to invite him to test the game if he agrees.

Merci
`` Non ridere, non lugere, neque detestari, sed inteligere``
Spinoza