Auteur Sujet: Additional functions for the Artillery  (Lu 8523 fois)

Hors ligne sandman

• Chef de Bataillon
Additional functions for the Artillery
« le: 22 octobre 2018, 11:58:58 am »
IMO it is not realistic, that the batteries leave the field after running out of medium and high range ammo. If they still got shrapnells, the player surely wants them to stay. These batteries could be very useful to be implemented in defence-lines.

I think the 3D engine displays out of range batteries as firing, which was somehow confusing for the player.

I think, we need some functions for the arty to handle this:

1. The player decides about withdrawing of not routed or broken units (batteries). Same would apply, if scripted for any reason.

2. Batteries with any kind of ammo left shall not be withdrawn automatically.

3. An opportunity to order to hold the fire.

4. A function to stop/open long range fire.
Long range fire is mostly ineffective, if closer engagement can be expected for a certain formation. Great battles use to last for a number of hours. Therefore it is useful to be able to dose ammo resources fore the Artillery.

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
Re : Additional functions for the Artillery
« Réponse #1 le: 22 octobre 2018, 16:17:07 pm »
I think the 3D engine displays out of range batteries as firing, which was somehow confusing for the player.

Sorry.. I don't understand.
I have to implement for infantry one line showing the range, two ones for the Artillery (roundshot, canister)

I think, we need some functions for the arty to handle this:
1. The player decides about withdrawing of not routed or broken units (batteries). Same would apply, if scripted for any reason.

OK... a light modification of Mouve order... just ask to unit to go to one of the line of operation. Not yet imlemented.

2. Batteries with any kind of ammo left shall not be withdrawn automatically.

You are right... it is a bug; I don't check if the ART unit have canisters.

3. An opportunity to order to hold the fire.

I have to add a new order. In this case, the players have the total control on the unit but AI continues to check the unit security

4. A function to stop/open long range fire.
Long range fire is mostly ineffective, if closer engagement can be expected for a certain formation. Great battles use to last for a number of hours. Therefore it is useful to be able to dose ammo resources fore the Artillery.

The best is to implemnt this request in the editor of doctrine... for a futur version.

JMM

Hors ligne sandman

• Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #2 le: 22 octobre 2018, 16:54:53 pm »
Sorry.. I don't understand.

Now its along time since I last did HW. But if I remember and interpret the recent statements of players correctly, it can be an issue that batteries in 3D view sometimes are displayed as if they were firing, although they do not shoot in real (moteur interieur). This means, there is no ammo consumption nor any effect on a potencial target. This mostly happens at a very high distance. So I would rather conclude that there is no engagement due of out of range or negative line of site parametres. So there might be a dissent between the two engines in terms of this matter.

I have to add a new order. In this case, the players have the total control on the unit but AI continues to check the unit security

Yes, we had large discussions about unit security and protection regarding arty batteries. So thats a very vital criteria and should always keep a high priority.
But we have to differ between a limited or temporary on the one hand, and a final withdrawal of units off the field on the other hand (here: batteries). With the latest discussion only the latter subject was meant. A limited withdrawal due a potencial hostile threat, of course shall not be affected, because an exessive loss of nonreactive or unprotected batteries cant be considered neither realistic nor acceptable.

Nevertheless, a battery with any kind of ammo left, should never be withdrawn off the field by the AI.

Thank you for your attentiveness!

« Modifié: 22 octobre 2018, 16:57:36 pm par sandman »

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
Re : Re : Additional functions for the Artillery
« Réponse #3 le: 22 octobre 2018, 17:07:42 pm »

Now its along time since I last did HW. But if I remember and interpret the recent statements of players correctly, it can be an issue that batteries in 3D view sometimes are displayed as if they were firing, although they do not shoot in real (moteur interieur). This means, there is no ammo consumption nor any effect on a potencial target. This mostly happens at a very high distance. So I would rather conclude that there is no engagement due of out of range or negative line of site parametres. So there might be a dissent between the two engines in terms of this matter.

I remember of this bug... I believe it is fixed since several patches...

For ART, I have to check the behaviours of units in the present version...

JMM

Hors ligne Soldat Louis

• Major
« Réponse #4 le: 22 octobre 2018, 22:50:16 pm »
Interesting discussions!
In the wish list I would also add a command to visualize, on the 2D map the gun fire range. As the gun will not anymore fire accross hills with the new game, this would be very helpfull after corps deployment to avoid bad surprises. AND... a great thing would also be to have a command to visualize the theorethical field of vision of the armies. Of course with the delay option one should not expect to see all enemy units in real time but at least you will know that if nothing pops up after a while it is because there is really nobody there. This will also be helpfull for reco and to better deploy/march to surprise your opponent . 

Hors ligne sandman

• Chef de Bataillon
Re : Re : Additional functions for the Artillery
« Réponse #5 le: 23 octobre 2018, 09:57:25 am »
Interesting discussions!
In the wish list I would also add a command to visualize, on the 2D map the gun fire range. As the gun will not anymore fire accross hills with the new game, this would be very helpfull after corps deployment to avoid bad surprises. AND... a great thing would also be to have a command to visualize the theorethical field of vision of the armies. Of course with the delay option one should not expect to see all enemy units in real time but at least you will know that if nothing pops up after a while it is because there is really nobody there. This will also be helpfull for reco and to better deploy/march to surprise your opponent .

Indeed such functions would be helpful for the user. But from a certain level of available tools my concerns are, that we might loose the character of an 18th century war SIMULATION when a commander had very limited means to get information and find orientation.

Of course such features would bring a higher variety of settings. If they could be switched in the options menue, every user would be enforced to make his favorable choices.