Auteur Sujet: Tips to share as I'm learning as I build a scenario (& some ideas)  (Lu 6687 fois)

Hors ligne HarryInk

• Grognard de la Vieille Garde
  • Major
I'm creating a scenario of the battle of Golymin, December 1806.

Here are some of the things I'm learning:

1.  When you can't find a commander (say, of a Brigade) in the OoB editor, you can click on the space in the unit panel and get the >> indicator, then type in the name of the historical officer + RETURN.

(Wouldn't it be a good idea if the editor picked up such additions and incorporated them into the OoB editor?!)

2.  Setting the strength of units (many @ Golymin are understrength) is quite fiddly, with the sliding bars.  I presume the graphic and the touch zone don't fully equate, so it's best to adjust #squadrons & strength by clicking just under the icons. You can enter exact strengths by clicking on the ___ line and getting the >> indicator again.  As with other LG interfaces, the small font necessitates quite precise mouse work.  ** Maybe a row of boxed numbers from 1-12 would be easier for # of units?  Nevertheless, the fact that you can be so precise is cool.

The process is tiring.   However, a couple of hours work this evening has produced an OoB for the French army.  I'm working of Orundel's magnificent work (available @ the Depot) and James R. Arnold's OoB in his highly reccomended 'Crisis in the Snows'.

*I wonder if the 'new unit' process & interface couldn't be simpler.  I'm only creating French and Russians.  For 'nationality' maybe an icon that remembers your last choice and presents that as the default for any new unit.  A right-click on the icon brings up the whole menu again, otherwise the next unit is automatically of the same nation's army. The same page could show a framework of current commands and/or follow the previous logic and add the unit to the previous command unless chosen otherwise.  This would often save two steps.  So, after adding a first unit to General Pahlen's command, I would click once on 'new unit' - automatically meaning another Russian unit in his command - and jump straight to TYPE.  In fact, perhaps a simplified page could list types along side nationality & commands.

* There is also a redunt step when there is only a single choice of Regiment (eg. Russian horse artillery).

3.  I changed the name of a existing corps from 'cavalry' to '4th Div'.  When I came to create a new unit, the 'attach to' menu only listed the corps by commanders, not names.  I had to cancel & check back to '4th Div' to see the commander.
« Modifié: 22 janvier 2011, 03:42:39 am par HarryInk »
"But I vil not divulge any furzer informazion!"

Hors ligne zu Pferd

• Colonel
    • [IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/20f5jja.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/20f5jja.jpg[/IMG]
Re : Tips to share as I'm learning as I build a scenario (& some ideas)
« Réponse #1 le: 03 février 2011, 10:44:28 am »
Hi Harry:

I'm with you regarding interface, and it is very tiresome work to go back and forth.
Be happy to try it out when You get it done  :D
`` Non ridere, non lugere, neque detestari, sed inteligere``
Spinoza