Auteur Sujet: JSGME  (Lu 22651 fois)

Hors ligne Franciscus

• Colonel
JSGME
« le: 09 août 2010, 02:10:42 am »
Just to report that JSGME generic mod enabler (http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products-jsgme.html) works fine with the MadRussian mod (it is just necessary to create a full directory path (ie, for example MadRussian units\Graphics\Jeu2\T_HW) in the MOD folder (greated by JSGME), unzip there the MadRussian files, and you can swap freely the MadRussian units with the stock units, with just one click (pic)

Everything leads me to believe that the Peninsular mod will work also fine (it just is needed to change the "scenari a instaler" to match the game scenari folder - and to add the portuguese doctrine in the modded doctrine folder). No need to have two different instalations, with just one click you can go back to all the basic files. When I get some free time I will try it and report back.

JSGME is an old handy free utility (that continues to get updated), known well by strategy gamers, that makes the  handling of multiple mods a breeze (specially if the mod zip files are already organised as the game's ones). No files get deleted, and a snapshot of the original installation is made first, so you can be sure to know what changes have or have not been done.

Regards

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
Re : JSGME
« Réponse #1 le: 09 août 2010, 06:39:37 am »
It's not obvious from your screen shot, but JSGME works well with multiple mods, even if one mod partially overwrites another.  The program keeps backups of everything and won't let you uninstall the mods out of order if it matters.  You can always get back to an original installation of a game.

JSGME was originally developed for the Silent Hunter submarine simulation community, but has been used by many other games.   The author, jscones still posts regularly on SubSim forums.

Hook

Hors ligne kiva

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Brigade
  • Sans peur et sans reproche
« Réponse #2 le: 09 août 2010, 09:06:41 am »
Hi,

This is software that works like "mod manager?
For the management of different mods, if I understand ...
It lets you choose the mod you want to use without having to change several manipulations.
Can you confirm please?

-------------

C'est un logiciel qui fonctionne comme "mod manager" ?
Pour la gestion de différents mods, si j'ai bien compris...
Il permet de choisir le mod que l'on veut utiliser, sans avoir plusieurs manipulations pour en changer.
Pouvez-vous confirmer s'il vous plait ?

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
Re : Re : JSGME
« Réponse #3 le: 09 août 2010, 10:18:06 am »
It lets you choose the mod you want to use without having to change several manipulations.
Can you confirm please?

This is correct.  For example, if you have two uniform mods and you want to change between them or remove them, it only takes a couple of clicks.

If you have multiple uniform AND sound mods and want to change either, this works as well on each mod separately.

Hook

Hors ligne kiva

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #4 le: 09 août 2010, 10:29:33 am »
Hi,

Thank you for your reply, it is clear to me now.
Thank you for everything  ;)
------------------

Merci de votre réponse, c'est clair pour moi maintenant.
Merci pour tout.

Hors ligne Franciscus

• Colonel
« Réponse #5 le: 09 août 2010, 13:18:54 pm »
Plus it is very easy to manage multiple mods simultaneously - it even warns you if some mod conflicts with another (although I would not trust this 100% if you habe many, many mods...).

If you want, I can post later a simple step by step how-to with MadRussian mod.

Regards

Hors ligne kiva

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #6 le: 09 août 2010, 14:01:57 pm »
Hello Franciscus,

I think it would be a little more substantial, like that everyone would see how to use it.

Thank you  ;)

-------------

Salut Franciscus,

Je pense que ce serait un petit plus non négligeable, comme ça tout le monde verrait comment faire pour s'en servir.

Merci.

Hors ligne Franciscus

• Colonel
« Réponse #7 le: 09 août 2010, 18:47:26 pm »
So, a little how-to with JSGME and MadRussian mod.

1.  First, you have to download JSGME from the respective site (http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products-jsgme.html), and install it. You have 2 possibilities, to install it in a central folder (ie, Programs) and create a shortcut for each game that you want to mod, or install it directly in the Histwar root folder. That´s what I did (pic1); it will ask you if you want you to create a desktop shortcut, you should do it; then the first time you run it, it asks you if you want to create the MODS folder (you should say OK), and that's it.
Notice that besides some new files (including JSGME.exe), a new folder is created in the Histwar root folder: MODS. It is empty initially.

2. In the case of MadRussian's mods, all you have to do is unzip the respective zipped folder (Ex: "MadRussianTerrain") to the MODS folder, and that's it.

3.  For other mods, the most important is to create a correct folder substructure inside this MODS folder (this is not necessary if the mod creator provides a zip file with the correct folder structure, like MadRussian). You have to create inside the MODS folder a folder for each mod. THEN, you have to create an "empty" subfolder tree exactly similar to the game's one, leading to where the modded files should reside
Then, you have to unzip the modded files to the correct subfolder.

4. Finally you run JSGME.exe (you should have an appropriately named shortcut in your desktop).
The first thing you should do is to create a snapshot of the original game's files. You can do this even right after installing JSGME, before creating any mod. If you created already a mod, it will show on the "available mods" column on the left. (see pic). You just have to select it and cklick the arrow to move it to the right column ("Activated mods"). Voila. Your mod is active. You want to revert back to the original files ? you just click it back to the left column.

The most important steps are nº 2 and 3. They become much easier if the mod creator makes a zip with the subfolders already in place (in this case, Madrussian has already done this, thanks.) Then we just need to unzip it directly to the MOD folder in Histwar, and it's ready to go.

Hope this helps.

I really feel that in games that do not have a "proprietary" mod management scheme, JSGME is extremely useful. Maybe it should be used by the HWLG mod community ?

(PS: the snapshot JSGME creates is complete. So, if after you create one, you play, make screenshots, etc, the save files,spyboard file, pics, etc, will show up as discrepancies, but that is expectable, not to worry)

Regards

(PS: Grog has made a nice walk-through, picture-heavy, here: http://napbc.freeforums.org/post16092.html#p16092)

« Modifié: 06 décembre 2010, 02:35:57 am par Franciscus »

Hors ligne Franciscus

• Colonel
Peninsular war mod in JSGME
« Réponse #8 le: 10 août 2010, 00:04:25 am »
Well, I tried to use JSGME with the Peninsular War mod, and it seems to works great. The fact that the zip file structure mimicks the game's folders helps a lot. What I did was basically create in the MOD folder a subfolder for the Peninsular mod, and then extract the mod to this subfolder.

Some caveats:
- The 3 scenario files  have each to be separately unpacked to the respective subfolders of the MOD folder (ie, Map, Army, Scenari - you also have to do it if you want to follow the two instalation path, BTW). If these files were already present in these subfolders it would help a lot.
- The Portuguese doctrine has to be downloaded apart and manually added to the doctrine subfolder
- After you activate the mod you must not forget that the English and Portuguese doctrines have to be selected in the doctrine editor (respectively for the Russia and Saxony forces) and, more importantly, should be deselected (ie, Russia and Saxony should be reverted to their original doctrines) before you deactivate the mod, or else I suspect some odd things would happen.

All in all, I am convinced that I do not need to create separate instalations for HWLG mods. I will be using JSGME;  I can manage all mods, and deactivate them when future patches appear, without problems.

Regards

Hors ligne Théodoricus

• Major
« Réponse #9 le: 10 août 2010, 12:24:05 pm »
Hi Franciscus,

Thanks a lot for your researches and explanations in how to use JSGME with mods, and especially our Peninsular War Mod.
It's very interesting and it should be useful.
But I'm too busy for the moment to experiment.

Regards,

Théo

Hors ligne kiva

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #10 le: 10 août 2010, 12:37:58 pm »
Merci pour vos explications  ;)
Quelqu'un pourrait traduire pour les francophones, car les traducteurs en ligne ne sont pas assez fiable.
A première vue c'est OK pour moi, mais quid des autres membres francophones ?

Merci d'avance à celui ou celle qui s'y attellera   ;)

Kiva.

Hors ligne Franciscus

• Colonel
Re : Re : JSGME
« Réponse #11 le: 10 août 2010, 13:15:47 pm »
Merci pour vos explications  ;)
Quelqu'un pourrait traduire pour les francophones, car les traducteurs en ligne ne sont pas assez fiable.
A première vue c'est OK pour moi, mais quid des autres membres francophones ?

Merci d'avance à celui ou celle qui s'y attellera   ;)

Kiva.

Regretablement pour ça je ne pourrai vous aider. Le suis capable de lire et vous comprendre assez bien, mais je ne suis capable de ecrire capablement, desolé...

Hors ligne kiva

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #12 le: 10 août 2010, 16:10:33 pm »
Do not be sorry it is understandable, I hope someone on the forum can do for the most people understand  ;)

--------------------

Ne soyez pas désolé cela peut se comprendre, j'espère que quelqu'un sur le forum pourra le faire, afin que le maximum de personnes comprenne  ;)

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
« Réponse #13 le: 10 août 2010, 16:52:41 pm »
It's all "Greek" to me, Haaa :?

MadRussian

• Invité
« Réponse #14 le: 30 août 2010, 01:57:42 am »
Hello

I plan to put out a update of the Units soon, so to make it ez' er ....  :mrgreen: ..... I will put the files in a HistWar subfolder Name formate.  So people useing this program can install with no problems.

Thanks Later