Auteur Sujet: Cavalry Scouting Missions  (Lu 16274 fois)

Hors ligne gazfun

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateur
  • Colonel
  • Avartar
    • The Generals HQ
Cavalry Scouting Missions
« le: 05 juillet 2010, 09:52:14 am »
Using the large maps and Campaign map, you have to scout ahead somewhat, but I have noticed over a long time now that Cavalry which have been given the job of Scouting almost  always get captured, they get into a fight with the enemy Cavalry, which I would think that would be what they should'nt do as much as possible, that should be highest prioity. They should retreat when they see the enemy Cavalry starting to move forward to them rather than forming up and giving battle.
I realise that there are higher issue we have to deal with at the moment, but I feel it needs looking into in my humble opinion 
Write your own History!

Online most times @Skype "The Generals HQ or gazfun. Friday 1900hrs +10 GMT join us if you can!
http://www.thegeneralshq.org
http://www.histwar.org/forum/index.php/board,118.0.html
Histwar Les Grognards beta tester

Hors ligne Montecuccoli

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateur
  • Colonel
Re : Cavalry Scouting Missions
« Réponse #1 le: 05 juillet 2010, 11:30:48 am »
This should even lead to the cavalry screen for campaigns
Histwar beta tester

Hors ligne gazfun

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateur
  • Colonel
  • Avartar
    • The Generals HQ
Re : Re : Cavalry Scouting Missions
« Réponse #2 le: 05 juillet 2010, 11:33:44 am »
This should even lead to the cavalry screen for campaigns
exactley mate  :)
Write your own History!

Online most times @Skype "The Generals HQ or gazfun. Friday 1900hrs +10 GMT join us if you can!
http://www.thegeneralshq.org
http://www.histwar.org/forum/index.php/board,118.0.html
Histwar Les Grognards beta tester

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #3 le: 05 juillet 2010, 15:14:20 pm »
They should retreat when they see the enemy Cavalry starting to move forward to them rather than forming up and giving battle.
I would agree with this, what I'd like to see in an "ideal" world is the Cavalry Regiments split up into many smaller sections (pickets) and spread out to do the scouting, as a whole Regiment would not march around en mass on scout duty.......then with both sides doing this they should avoid all contact, unless they get cut off and "trapped" in which case they would then be captured - maybe to complex to be possible ??????????.

Hors ligne Count von Csollich

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
« Réponse #4 le: 05 juillet 2010, 15:54:43 pm »
I would agree with this, what I'd like to see in an "ideal" world is the Cavalry Regiments split up into many smaller sections (pickets) and spread out to do the scouting, as a whole Regiment would not march around en mass on scout duty.......then with both sides doing this they should avoid all contact, unless they get cut off and "trapped" in which case they would then be captured - maybe to complex to be possible ??????????.

I have no idea if this is possible....but I certainly agree that this would be the perfect way of dealing with scouting cavalry - one could say that within the sighting range of the current regiments these scouts are included and accounted for, BUT  - a scouting unit - if at all a regiment, usually not even squadrons but small platoons or detachments - would only give battle/offer to stand and fight if it had a serious advantage in numbers or saw a once in a life time opportunity! - there are numerous accounts for scouting parties engageing each other...but usually on a very small scale...not even on squadron level...

exception: cavalry screening during the deployment phase of a battle....here of course larger engagements happened frequently...i.e. the first few hours of the first day of the battle of Wagram.....

CvC
« Modifié: 05 juillet 2010, 15:56:14 pm par Count von Csollich »
"parcere subiectis et debellare superbos", Vergil

Hors ligne Uhlanen

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #5 le: 05 juillet 2010, 17:18:36 pm »
It wouldn't need to apply to all Cavalry but if we could break down the Hussars and cossacks who were historically the eyes and ears of the armies into squadron size at least ,smaller if possible that would be excellent for scouting purpose's. The heavier cavalries primary role in game would not really need the option.

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
« Réponse #6 le: 05 juillet 2010, 17:20:30 pm »
It wouldn't need to apply to all Cavalry but if we could break down the Hussars and cossacks who were historically the eyes and ears of the armies into squadron size at least ,smaller if possible that would be excellent for scouting purpose's. The heavier cavalries primary role in game would not really need the option.

definetely - I would hate to see Cuirassiers doing recon duty....it's like sending a Tiger II tank on a scouting mission!

CvC

Hors ligne Uhlanen

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #7 le: 05 juillet 2010, 18:20:29 pm »
One way I see it helping bye deploying smaller scouting elements is if the AI is doing its job as advertised there will be enough of a difference in numbers/unit sizes to prevent the Cavalry from launching those attacks mentioned earlier in the thread. Hopefully that with perhaps a little help from the oob editor would shift the priority primarily to scouting,reporting and leaving the area if a larger force is encountered which is what I would want my cavalry to do.

Good scouting leading to good screening giving the Generals more movement options. On the large maps a good old game of cat and mouse before the real bloodshed begins. It wouldn't in my opinion get any better then that. In MP games those Generals with the interest and patients to operate there light cavalry in an historical manner would become key elements............ with the Historic abilities of there light cavalry paying dividends.

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #8 le: 05 juillet 2010, 18:27:00 pm »
As things stand now, with no change - why is it that two Cavalry Regiments engage at all, do they BOTH think they will win the encounter ?.....maybe if one is stronger than the other, the weakest one should retreat before any contact is made, that would help.

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
« Réponse #9 le: 05 juillet 2010, 18:28:31 pm »
One way I see it helping bye deploying smaller scouting elements is if the AI is doing its job as advertised there will be enough of a difference in numbers/unit sizes to prevent the Cavalry from launching those attacks mentioned earlier in the thread. Hopefully that with perhaps a little help from the oob editor would shift the priority primarily to scouting,reporting and leaving the area if a larger force is encountered which is what I would want my cavalry to do.

Good scouting leading to good screening giving the Generals more movement options. On the large maps a good old game of cat and mouse before the real bloodshed begins. It wouldn't in my opinion get any better then that. In MP games those Generals with the interest and patients to operate there light cavalry in an historical manner would become key elements............ with the Historic abilities of there light cavalry paying dividends.

it would be great and perfect if we had these options.....

I've recently started a HPS Ulm-Campaign, where excatly all these things, you mentioned Uhlanen, are happening...

HWLG will improve in time ... - without hexes and turns ;)

CvC

Hors ligne Soldat Louis

• Major
« Réponse #10 le: 05 juillet 2010, 18:34:34 pm »
I think that scouting must have a price and it's part of the game fun. Taking the decision to outnumber the enemy scouting units at he beginning of a battle can be a good strategic plan to hide movements, but the risk is to loose too much cavalry without any result if the enemy front corps are mixed corps or even cavalry corps. On the other  hand, not engaging your cavalry units at all at the beginning of the battle could also be a good strategy if one choose a defensive plan... but then you are blind... So for me the aggressive behavior of the scouting units in Histwar is OK. But I agree that, in the present state of the game, if you send ahead a cav unit, it will be almost always captured. I tried different settings but I could not find wether it is better to send ahead cav units with low aggressivity and initiative (they might run away before being engaged), or the opposite: very aggresives units that will not surrender easilly. Does anyone tried those different options ?

Hors ligne Uhlanen

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #11 le: 05 juillet 2010, 18:58:44 pm »

it would be great and perfect if we had these options.....

I've recently started a HPS Ulm-Campaign, where excatly all these things, you mentioned Uhlanen, are happening...

HWLG will improve in time ... - without hexes and turns ;)

CvC

I am still awaiting the arrival of HPS Campaign Auesterlitz ...I don't suppose you have Jena Auerstadt by chance ? would like to get a second campaign game going.
« Modifié: 05 juillet 2010, 19:00:47 pm par Uhlanen »

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
Re : Re : Re : Cavalry Scouting Missions
« Réponse #12 le: 05 juillet 2010, 19:17:47 pm »
I am still awaiting the arrival of HPS Campaign Auesterlitz ...I don't suppose you have Jena Auerstadt by chance ? would like to get a second campaign game going.

unfortunately I've only got Austerlitz, Waterloo, Eckmuehl and Renaissance so far - but Iena Auerstaedt and Wagram are the next on my list - as soon as my gaming budget recovered from the above mentioned investments  :mrgreen:
as soon as your copy of Austerlitz has arrived I'd be happy to play a campaign with you - two there: either Ulm or Moravia...haven't tried the latter - should be fun! - we could register it over at the iNWC if you want to - where you, if I'm not mistaken, recently joined the webmasters...no?

CvC

Hors ligne Uhlanen

• Lieutenant
Re : Re : Re : Re : Cavalry Scouting Missions
« Réponse #13 le: 05 juillet 2010, 19:35:40 pm »
unfortunately I've only got Austerlitz, Waterloo, Eckmuehl and Renaissance so far - but Iena Auerstaedt and Wagram are the next on my list - as soon as my gaming budget recovered from the above mentioned investments  :mrgreen:
as soon as your copy of Austerlitz has arrived I'd be happy to play a campaign with you - two there: either Ulm or Moravia...haven't tried the latter - should be fun! - we could register it over at the iNWC if you want to - where you, if I'm not mistaken, recently joined the webmasters...no?

CvC

Yup that would be me and the commander of the Dutch ,Belgian and Nassau contingent. Have Waterloo,Eckmuhl Jena as well as all the trusty old Talonsoft/Matrix titles. Will give ya a yell when Austerlitz arrives.

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
Re : Re : Re : Re : Re : Cavalry Scouting Missions
« Réponse #14 le: 05 juillet 2010, 20:43:33 pm »
Yup that would be me and the commander of the Dutch ,Belgian and Nassau contingent. Have Waterloo,Eckmuhl Jena as well as all the trusty old Talonsoft/Matrix titles. Will give ya a yell when Austerlitz arrives.

great to hear - if you want to start off right now, just in case you're bored  :mrgreen:, we can always play a Waterloo campaign...totally up to you!
but to move not too far off topic....just PM me, if you like  :smile:

CvC
« Modifié: 05 juillet 2010, 21:01:52 pm par Count von Csollich »