Auteur Sujet: The defend on line position.  (Lu 22616 fois)

Hors ligne thilio

• Général de Brigade
Re : The defend on line position.
« Réponse #30 le: 30 mai 2010, 18:37:19 pm »

could you give me one example of where he EXACTLY issued these orders during battle and when they were EXACTLY carried out as he ordered them to!
why did he fail to achieve total victory in some battles? - because his famous storming marechals weren't there...and he just couldn't order and conduct assaults as he would have been able to with them making all the smaller decisions!

CvC

In the 1815 campaign which is relatively well documented (see topic on Waterloo), issued orders were extremely detailed in terms of units and map location. This refers to the initial part of prepared battles, not to unexpected battle (Eylau) or second time orders.
I believe the birthday was wished  ;)

Hors ligne Count von Csollich

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
Re : Re : The defend on line position.
« Réponse #31 le: 30 mai 2010, 18:49:07 pm »
In the 1815 campaign which is relatively well documented (see topic on Waterloo), issued orders were extremely detailed in terms of units and map location. This refers to the initial part of prepared battles, not to unexpected battle (Eylau) or second time orders.

are you talking about the movement at Charleroi?

CvC
"parcere subiectis et debellare superbos", Vergil

Hors ligne thilio

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #32 le: 30 mai 2010, 18:54:38 pm »
For what i have read, probably not a lot has i'm only an "amateur" of history, orders for Ligny and Waterloo were very detailed.
This is also true for the other side, for example Wellington issued precise orders to hold Hougoumont, giving almost the exact number of guards to be placed in the castle.

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
« Réponse #33 le: 30 mai 2010, 18:56:06 pm »

yeah, all of you were very kind, however I believe that these late birthday wishes of ajs above had some other intentions as well - but isn't that obvious anyway?  :roll: ;) (gosh, I am so very young... :twisted: )

CvC

to sum it up - I do agree that some influence on the defensive line would be great...sometime in the future - not only for strength and disposition but also for where to form a local reserve - HOWEVER such things would work much better with divisional and brigade AI - which has yet to come! - it works well at BftB - I am sure it will work at LG even better! :)

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
« Réponse #34 le: 30 mai 2010, 18:58:14 pm »
For what i have read, probably not a lot has i'm only an "amateur" of history, orders for Ligny and Waterloo were very detailed.
This is also true for the other side, for example Wellington issued precise orders to hold Hougoumont, giving almost the exact number of guards to be placed in the castle.

I totally agree - WELLINGTON!!!! - he didn't even allow for actually acting corps commanders :) - because he wanted to command everything for himself - he was one micromanager - which is why he rode at least 6 horses until they were blown, and only divisional commanders were allowed to interfere! :) - this also meant that if he wasn't present larger maneuvers such as attacks were impossible to be conducted! -

but you are right Thilio...Wellington issued very precise orders!  :mrgreen:

CvC
« Modifié: 30 mai 2010, 19:00:34 pm par Count von Csollich »

Hors ligne thilio

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #35 le: 30 mai 2010, 19:11:24 pm »
yeah, all of you were very kind, however I believe that these late birthday wishes of ajs above had some other intentions as well - but isn't that obvious anyway?  :roll: ;) (gosh, I am so very young... :twisted: )

Of course...:mrgreen:

What would be great is to have the possibility to give pecise orders for defense like it is possible for deploy, etc...in which the line location is very precise.  To my opinion, this is not micromanaging.
However, the corps commander can adapt the order depending on the  situation he found at the moment, the ennemy pressure, the units available,...
« Modifié: 30 mai 2010, 19:16:04 pm par thilio »

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #36 le: 30 mai 2010, 20:40:55 pm »
I very seldom issue a defensive line order that requires a corp to advance.  I'll do it during the initial deployment phase, but seldom after that. 

If your corps has to advance and possibly contact the enemy, you should be issuing a deploy order.  If they don't contact the enemy during the march, they'll form up in defensive line on their own if the enemy gets close enough after they've reached their position.  If you're dealing with order delays, then issue a defensive line order at the same time you issue the deploy order to be executed after they reach their position.  This was all discussed very early on the forums.

If you're issuing a defensive line order and the corps contacts the enemy before reaching the destination, even if it's a few hundred meters ahead of where you drew the line, then you're issuing the order too close to the enemy.  Yeah, I made that mistake myself a couple of times in the early days.  I quickly learned not to make that mistake.

Hook

Hors ligne ess1

• Capitaine
« Réponse #37 le: 02 juin 2010, 22:47:17 pm »

I entirely agree with the word "EXACTLY". However, I was an Officer in the the British Army throughout the 1970's, mostly with BAOR in Germany. The orders I gave better have been carried out pretty close to their original intent, or I wouldn't have lasted long, heads would have rolled including mine :cry: :cry: :cry:

Anyhow, with that, I bow out of the subject. To my disappointment I have found that a different opinion is often not appreciated by some and I have had enough of that, so off I go to fight more battles :p :p :p

I served with an Ordnance Field Park (part of the "Fly-out Bde") in Kenya during the 60s.   When we were on excercise in bush  we somehow found ourselves in front of an Infantry unit whose task was support.   All hell broke loose with umpires going mad, coloured smk swirling around...   Our OC lost his command and we had to undergo two Annual Inspections  in the field, all cammed up etc:oops: :oops:

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
Re : Re : Re : The defend on line position.
« Réponse #38 le: 02 juin 2010, 22:51:53 pm »
I served with an Ordnance Field Park (part of the "Fly-out Bde") in Kenya during the 60s.   When we were on excercise in bush  we somehow found ourselves in front of an Infantry unit whose task was support.   All hell broke loose with umpires going mad, coloured smk swirling around...   Our OC lost his command and we had to undergo two Annual Inspections  in the field, all cammed up etc:oops: :oops:

now THAT sounds like reality :D :D :D

CvC
« Modifié: 02 juin 2010, 23:02:27 pm par Count von Csollich »

Hors ligne ess1

• Capitaine
Re : Re : Re : Re : The defend on line position.
« Réponse #39 le: 02 juin 2010, 23:07:13 pm »
now THAT sounds like reality :D :D :D

CvC

Happy days... :D

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
« Réponse #40 le: 02 juin 2010, 23:10:26 pm »
All hell broke loose with umpires going mad, coloured smk swirling around...   Our OC lost his command and we had to undergo two Annual Inspections  in the field, all cammed up etc

Actually, Ess1 will correct me if I'm wrong, his example is meant to supporting my point. in the British Army this type of thing does not happen very often, otherwise there would be no Officers left! Notice the OC lost his command!!!!!

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
« Réponse #41 le: 02 juin 2010, 23:19:01 pm »
a little off the "defend" topic, but something similar to your story ess1: - just to point out the chaos on the field....

it was one of Austria's  anual exercices ....my team was part of a small group of elite units holding a key position in the centre (was rather unusual for us, to be used as a "line" unit...) - three hours into the exercise the three companies on our right had moved to far forward and had established defensive line one hill to much forward....meaning they were unable to cover our flank effectively....

on our left the "Oberstleutnant" = Lieutenant-Colonel commanding the units there was kind of lost....didn't see even obvious enemy positions and was thus soundly defeated...

we were last to hold on, used the high-mountain terrain effectively, our two scout snipers of my group took out entire platoons....we lost badly nevertheless ....I was "killed" in the third attack, 5 hours into the defence - shot in the back, as we were being flanked and attacked from the rear.....being replaced by my second in command.....we were informed that we were finally taken out by our OWN artillery (in this case 12cm heavy mortars, which had fired on the wrong target....(we had requested fire support on an assembly area of the enemy, preparing to attack us...

so much for "what you would like a battle to work" and "how it really turns out" :D

CvC

(in the next international training, JgdKdo performed the way it should have, WINNING :D)
« Modifié: 02 juin 2010, 23:29:08 pm par Count von Csollich »

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
« Réponse #42 le: 02 juin 2010, 23:20:50 pm »
Actually, Ess1 will correct me if I'm wrong, his example is meant to supporting my point. in the British Army this type of thing does not happen very often, otherwise there would be no Officers left! Notice the OC lost his command!!!!!

what exactly do you mean: "does not happen very often" - I am rather lost, what we are discussing right here...

the way I understood it: the unit was lost, all got into chaos....the OC lost his command as he performed terribly...no? and it had to perform some nice little additional exercise due to this fail!....no?

CvC

« Modifié: 02 juin 2010, 23:31:41 pm par Count von Csollich »

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
« Réponse #43 le: 02 juin 2010, 23:33:25 pm »
I think I'm lost too!!!!  I declare a "Truce" :D :D :D before we all lose our heads :( :(

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
« Réponse #44 le: 02 juin 2010, 23:38:03 pm »
I think I'm lost too!!!!  I declare a "Truce" :D :D :D before we all lose our heads :( :(

this wasn't to start a fight, you know? - I was just lost on what we were posting here :D

CvC