HistWar (English zone) > General discussions

Reading Recommendations for Napoleonic Campaigns and Warfare ?

(1/12) > >>

paswin:
Sorry ! ignore my entry under Rifleman , sent in error.

quartermaster:
One suggestion would be the other websites where this has been addressed before. 

Two I would start with are the Napoleon Series and TMP and just search for reading lists.

Cpl Steiner:
I really liked this book. It gives a grand overview of the period, has lots of lovely campaign maps, and is very easy to read:

Holdit:
(Replied to the wrong thread so I'll re-post here.)

Here's what I consider to be the best from my own collection:

"Tactics and the Experience of Battle in the Age of Napoleon" - Rory Muir. 
A bit anglo-centric but nevertheless very good.

"The Battle Tactics of Napoleon and his Enemies" - Brent Nosworthy.
An in-depth look at not just Napoleonic tactics but how they evolved from the tactis of the 18th Century. Can be a bit heavy in spots - this is a proper academic treatment of the subject - but excellent all the same.

"1815 - The Waterloo Campaign: The German Victory" - Peter Hofschroer (2 volumes).
In-depth examination of the German contribution to the Waterloo campaign.  Not very flattering to Wellington.

"The Campaigns of Napoleon" - David Chandler.
A real classic. Some of the information is said to be out-of date, but it's nevertheless a good starting point and very comprehensive. The title is indicative of the contents, though, which means there isn't much about Spain.

"A Military History and Atlas of the Napoleonic Wars"- Vincent Esposito & John Elting
An excellent companion volume to Chandler . Well-written and with exquisite maps. Pricey but worth it.

"Imperial Bayonets" - George Nafziger
An in-depth look at the tactics of the time. More granular than Muir or Nosworthy, I think. That's just an observation, of course - not a value judgement. Includes a very interesting transcript of some of Ney's writings on the subject of grand tactics. Before reading this I had never imagined him to be so tactically sophisticated.

"The Battle" - Alessandro Barbero.
A real gem of a paperback. If "Gettysburg" is the best movie made about a battle (IMO), this must surely be a candidate for the best-written book about one. Without a doubt the most masterfully-crafted history of Waterloo that I've ever read - and I've read a few. How to learn about history without feeling like you're learning at all. A bonus too to have another account of Waterloo that's not written by an Englishman. Mark Adkin's beautiful "Waterloo Companion" complements it superbly.

"The Napoleonic Wars Data Book" - Digby Smith
Like the title says, data: lots of it and in a fairly raw format. Details of every battle you've ever heard of between 1792 and 1815 and hundreds you haven't. Gives commanders, strengths, orders of battle (level of detail here can be variable). An excellent resource for the scenario designer. Not a good source of historical narrative though.

In addition, Osprey has books on the following battles/campaigns:

* Marengo
    * Austerlitz
    * Jena
    * Aspern & Wagram
    * Busaco
    * Salamanca
    * Leipzig
    * Waterloo

Holdit

FranzVonG:

--- Citation de: Holdit le 11 décembre 2009, 22:14:49 pm ---(Replied to the wrong thread so I'll re-post here.)

"The Battle Tactics of Napoleon and his Enemies" - Brent Nosworthy.
An in-depth look at not just Napoleonic tactics but how they evolved from the tactis of the 18th Century. Can be a bit heavy in spots - this is a proper academic treatment of the subject - but excellent all the same.
--- Fin de citation ---

This is a must for anyone who wants to really understand what happened on a battle field in the napoleonic era.

--- Citation de: Holdit le 11 décembre 2009, 22:14:49 pm ---"The Campaigns of Napoleon" - David Chandler.
A real classic. Some of the information is said to be out-of date, but it's nevertheless a good starting point and very comprehensive. The title is indicative of the contents, though, which means there isn't much about Spain.
--- Fin de citation ---

Imho, there are far better websites that can help the "newbie" on his first journey in the years of Napoleon than this "classic". Half of the tactics and ideas behind Chandler's writing are not merely outdated, but simply wrong. This was (like for many out there) my first nappy book, and it took me years to correct the wrong informations that I learned from it.

--- Citation de: Holdit le 11 décembre 2009, 22:14:49 pm ---"The Battle" - Alessandro Barbero.
A real gem of a paperback. If "Gettysburg" is the best movie made about a battle (IMO), this must surely be a candidate for the best-written book about one. Without a doubt the most masterfully-crafted history of Waterloo that I've ever read - and I've read a few. How to learn about history without feeling like you're learning at all. A bonus too to have another account of Waterloo that's not written by an Englishman. Mark Adkin's beautiful "Waterloo Companion" complements it superbly.

--- Fin de citation ---

From the best italian historian at the moment, one of the best books about a napoleonic battle. Similar, Gioannini/Massobrio's "Marengo".

Navigation

[0] Index des messages

[#] Page suivante

Utiliser la version classique