Auteur Sujet: Belgium Campaign 1815  (Lu 123117 fois)

Hors ligne Alfiere

• Général de Brigade
Re : Belgium Campaign 1815
« Réponse #135 le: 21 février 2011, 09:32:35 am »
I found this site,is better to have only one source.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Waterloo

Here speak of 80 guns , far to make damage.

Orders very restricted.(little map on site for orders)
11.30 Reille attack Hougumont (diversion)  and Wellington defends with Guard.
13.00 Great battery start to shoots
13.30 d'Erlon attack english center-left wing
?       Uxbrige counterattack d'Erlon
16.00 Cav Ney attack english center-right wing
17.30 Cav Kellerman attack english center-right wing
16.00 Bulow advance to Placenot
?  Lobau move to Placenot to defend
19.00 Imperial Guard attack english center-right wing
19.30 Ziethen advance to Papelotte

Doubts : Ney cav and Lobau  ?
« Modifié: 21 février 2011, 16:13:53 pm par Alfiere »
Danube camp - 3rd Coaltion camp

Hors ligne bibouba

• Officier d'HistWar : Grognard de la Vieille Garde
  • Général de Brigade
  • Henri Gratien Comte BERTRAND
« Réponse #136 le: 21 février 2011, 13:48:03 pm »
D'erlon attacks at 13h30. Great battery start at 13h00.

Hors ligne Alfiere

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #137 le: 21 février 2011, 16:13:28 pm »
Ok,already modify list orders .
Thank bibouba.

Now I think
1) wait bibouba great battery deploy.
2)add some guns to actual great battery until 80 guns. (from who we take ?)
3)remake deploy for great battery
4)upload scenario to depot how variant to bibouba work.
5)identify with pic the corps for restricted orders. (what we use for Lobau and Ney cav?)

When all is clear ,we can make the first battle.
what do you think ?
« Modifié: 21 février 2011, 19:41:25 pm par Alfiere »

Hors ligne bibouba

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #138 le: 21 février 2011, 16:26:29 pm »
position at 11h30:

at 13h00:

I used the 11h30 position for the mod.
« Modifié: 21 février 2011, 16:32:21 pm par bibouba »

Hors ligne Alfiere

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #139 le: 21 février 2011, 16:37:51 pm »
Thank bibouba,then Great battery is more in advance from little road of Belle Alliance when shoots.
Seems right hypothesys of 500-600 meters.
80 guns (18 of 12 pdrs)
I see also Jacquinot in the deploy.
Hi Jacquinot,have you a white horse ?
« Modifié: 21 février 2011, 17:26:02 pm par Alfiere »

Hors ligne Jacquinot

• Colonel
  • Victory or death!
Re : Re : Belgium Campaign 1815
« Réponse #140 le: 21 février 2011, 20:01:49 pm »
Thank bibouba,then Great battery is more in advance from little road of Belle Alliance when shoots.
Seems right hypothesys of 500-600 meters.
80 guns (18 of 12 pdrs)
I see also Jacquinot in the deploy.
Hi Jacquinot,have you a white horse ?

No just mazda6 but not white :smile:
Yes in bibuoba map grand battary like on my picture from googlerth and his line have similar lenght about 500m, but 80 cannons on 500m line is 4,25m between canons if cannon lenght about 2m, its very close, how d Erlons infantry can go through cannons? They must go through cannons and form in attack column infront of the cannons and it all under British fire at 600m, how they can do this in short time? I play in solo and in my Grand battary was only 50 cannons, but d Erlons infantry can not go through cannons they allways try to go round the battary!
« Modifié: 21 février 2011, 20:46:24 pm par Jacquinot »
Glinka F.N. The memoirs of  Borodino battle. - "...screams of commanders and howls of despair on ten different languages was drowned by cannonade and drumbeat..."

Hors ligne Jacquinot

• Colonel
  • Victory or death!
« Réponse #141 le: 21 février 2011, 20:25:12 pm »
Ok,already modify list orders .
Thank bibouba.

Now I think
1) wait bibouba great battery deploy.
2)add some guns to actual great battery until 80 guns. (from who we take ?)
3)remake deploy for great battery
4)upload scenario to depot how variant to bibouba work.
5)identify with pic the corps for restricted orders. (what we use for Lobau and Ney cav?)

When all is clear ,we can make the first battle.
what do you think ?

Yes all good but how we will play, with attached units or with detachet? We still have problem with AI unauthorized orders.
Glinka F.N. The memoirs of  Borodino battle. - "...screams of commanders and howls of despair on ten different languages was drowned by cannonade and drumbeat..."

Hors ligne Alfiere

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #142 le: 21 février 2011, 20:47:32 pm »
I do not know this problem,i have no try.
But think to play all battle with micromanagement is not good.
Tomorrow try with a speed test,using your deploy.
But line of 80 guns (bibouba map) seems 900-1000 mt ,there is a scale a little down of 500 mt.
I have seen on your map (googlearth) that after 500 mt there is a rilevant slope on the right.
Hello

Hors ligne Jacquinot

• Colonel
  • Victory or death!
« Réponse #143 le: 21 février 2011, 20:52:45 pm »
I do not know this problem,i have no try.
But think to play all battle with micromanagement is not good.
Tomorrow try with a speed test,using your deploy.
But line of 80 guns (bibouba map) seems 900-1000 mt ,there is a scale a little down of 500 mt.
I have seen on your map (googlearth) that after 500 mt there is a rilevant slope on the right.
Hello

Im play Borodino with micromanagement and have historical resoult and can simulate 80% historical orders during the battle, for Borodino like for Waterloo without division AI i think no another way.

Hors ligne Jacquinot

• Colonel
  • Victory or death!
« Réponse #144 le: 21 février 2011, 20:59:48 pm »
Yes slop to the right from battary, on bibuoba map like on my from google, battary ends where ends contour line 120 its about 500m for battary deploy.

Hors ligne Duke of Earl

• Duc d’Earl
  • Général de Brigade
  • Duc d'Friedland
« Réponse #145 le: 22 février 2011, 01:26:47 am »
Bonjour Messrs.,

First, excellent diagrams! ... very instructive ...  :)

Second, agreed, micromanagement no good for me either ...  :x

Third, when I compare this to artillery at Verdun (approx. 100 years later), I am astounded beyond words ...  :shock:

Cordialement, DoE

Hors ligne Alfiere

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #146 le: 22 février 2011, 07:57:39 am »
Speed simulation without micromanagement with great battery how your deploy at 500-600 mt.
AI take control in pratice of all corps,after give order to diversion at Reille to Hougument,English Guard at once in defence.
After 1/2 - 1 hour ->all great battery destroy.
At 12.30  french losses 10 %  english 2%
at 13.00  AI put d'Erlon in defence and situation more stable   french losses 10%  english 4%

Yes, AI take control (the two sides are very closed).
But for me great battery is too much near to enemy and is in very danger.

For me is too much complex detach all units to play battle,perhaps is better that you alone play battle in both side with restricted orders.
You are more accustomed to play with detach units.(you have already made a simulation with Borodino).
Please , at the end tell us how end your the battle.
Hello

Hors ligne Frédéric

• Adjudant
« Réponse #147 le: 22 février 2011, 09:00:41 am »
Dear all,

I am reading your discussion with interest.

The study of Adkins is very interesting but it seems he didn't read testimonies of people who were at Waterloo on the 18th june 1815.

For example, here is the testimony of Général Desalles who was chief of the artillery of the french Ist corps.

"Le fatal 18 juin arriva. Le terrain était détrempé quoi qu'il fît assez beau. L'Empereur avait fait une reconnaissance dès le matin. Il ne croyait pas encore que les Anglais voulussent lui livrer bataille ; il fit faire plusieurs mouvements sur la droite pour s'en assurer. Je dus aller reconnaître un chemin qui entrait dans la forêt, pour m'assurer s'il était praticable à l'artillerie. Les deux armées étaient en observation. On fit manger nos soldats.
Vers dix heures, l'Empereur fit serrer le 1er corps sur le second, qui occupait la gauche du chemin de Bruxelles. Nous occupâmes la droite de ce chemin, encaissé sur ce point. Deux divisions du 5e corps et la garde formaient la réserve.
J'étais auprès du comte d'Erlon quand M. de Labédoyère, général aide de camp de l'Empereur, vint me dire de sa part qu'il me donnait le commandement d'une batterie de quatre-vingts bouches à feu, qui se composait de toutes mes batteries de six, de ma réserve de douze, et des réserves des 2e et 5e corps (6e corps - note from Frédéric), ce qui ne formait réellement que cinquante-quatre bouches à feu dont vingt-quatre de douze. J'avais d'abord l'ordre de mettre en batterie toutes ces pièces dans la position que nous occupions, à mi-côte, sur une seule ligne, et de commencer le feu de toutes à la fois pour étonner et ébranler le moral de l'ennemi. J'allais me conformer à cet ordre quand le général Ruty, commandant en chef l'artillerie, vint à moi et me dit de faire la reconnaissance d'une position plus avancée afin de l'occuper plus tard. Vieux soldat, sachant par théorie et par pratique que tout mouvement sur le champ de bataille est une crise, et que surtout un mouvement d'une grande quantité d'artillerie est dangereux, je le fixai longtemps, interrogeant son regard pour être bien certain qu'il parlait sérieusement. Quand j'en eus acquis la certitude, je fis ma reconnaissance rapidement, puis au retour j'engageai le feu qui fit tout à coup trembler le sol. (...) Je méditais le mouvement que j'avais à opérer et que je me proposais d'exécuter partiellement par batterie, faisant feu en avançant. Je venais d'aborder le maréchal prince de la Moskowa dont j'avais la confiance entière, pour l'avertir de ce que j'allais faire et prendre ses instructions, quand j'aperçus le lieutenant-colonel * * * mettre en mouvement les réserves et se porter, sans aucune précaution, sur la seconde position. Il y arrive pourtant et peut s'y mettre en batterie. Au même instant le maréchal me crie : "Vous êtes chargé !" En effet, la cavalerie ennemie, profitant de l'interruption du feu, chargeait la 1re division du 1er corps qui formait un seul carré dans un pli de terrain au-dessous de nous.
Au moment où avait repris le feu de mes réserves, je ne voulus pas laisser un immense intervalle entre elles et mes canons de 6. J'envoyai mon aide de camp dire aux officiers qui les commandaient de se joindre à la gauche de la batterie. Il était trop tard ! L'infanterie, chargée en arrière par une cavalerie formidable, est rompue. Elle arrive pêle-mêle avec l'ennemi sur la réserve d'artillerie dont le feu est paralysé par la crainte de tuer les nôtres."

According to this général, who was present at the battle, the Grande batterie was actually composed of 54 pieces and was probably placed just in front on the Ist corps. There were no guns of the Imperial Guard.
It may look strange as with just 3 reserve batteries it should just reach 18 guns of 12 lbs. If he talks about 24 heavy guns, there should have been one more reserve battery. And, apparently the only other 12 lbs guns were in the Imperial Guard.
The aim of the grande batterie wasn't to destroy allied troops but to astonish and shake their moral.

On the other hand, there is the testimony of Général Gourgaud, Officier d'Ordonance of the Emperor :
"(...)Les masses anglaises étaient placées en arrière de la sommité de la position, afin d'être moins exposées au feu de notre artillerie, en sorte que nous ne voyions bien que les tirailleurs et les batteries ennemies.
A midi, l'Empereur m'envoie porter l'ordre, au maréchal Ney qui commandait principalement la droite, d'attaquer très vivement l'ennemi, en se faisant précéder par beaucoup d'artillerie. Je mets en batterie, en avant du corps d'Erlon, 64 bouches à feu (dont 30 de 12), et nous engageons, sur ce point, une vigoureuse canonnade. L'ennemi souffre beaucoup ; nos tirailleurs s'avancent, ils sont dans Mont Saint-Jean. Le maréchal Ney fait avancer toute sa ligne ; l'artillerie quitte une bonne position pour se porter en avant.(...)"

Gourgaud talks about more guns and more 12 lbs guns.
Both testimonies are talking about a movement (of at least the heavy batteries) to a forward postion that could be the ridge of La Haye Sainte, the grande batterie beeing initially in position mid slope of the ridge between Belle Alliance and Papelotte.

According to me the problem of the grande batterie isn't solved yet.

Regards

Frédéric  

Hors ligne Alfiere

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #148 le: 22 février 2011, 09:11:12 am »
Thank very much for your intervention,very interesting.
Now search to undertand the french test.
Yes the history of great battery is also for me not very clear.

Hors ligne bibouba

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #149 le: 22 février 2011, 09:48:19 am »
you have a vey good post which sumarizes all the options (in french) :
http://www.larousse.fr/encyclopedie/article/Waterloo__la_grande_batterie/11021709

This post explain than the Adkins position should be the more realistic due to the place of all artillery convoyes behind the artillary line.

If you put the battery just front of the 1st corps line it would be totally disorganised by convoyes.