Auteur Sujet: Belgium Campaign 1815  (Lu 123124 fois)

Hors ligne thilio

• Général de Brigade
Re : Belgium Campaign 1815
« Réponse #120 le: 20 février 2011, 16:56:19 pm »
Im use GooglErth and found only one good place for grnd battary, but i dont know what lenghty was battary because i dont know how many guns was in battary and what distance must be between the guns that infantry can go through guns.
Your consideration guys.

Thanks, very interesting map to see the ground. But like Alfiere, I cannot locate precisely the farms on this map (La haye Sainte, Belle Alliance, Mont-Saint jean, Papelotte,..).

Other descriptions of the battle in favor of the hypothesis of short distance grand battery are:
- the charge of heavy cav that rapidly reach the battery and well beyond before encountering the french line
- the number of ammunition and horses of the battery that should have been deployed along 400m deep so directly at the level of d'Erlon's line of concentration

Hors ligne Jacquinot

• Colonel
  • Victory or death!
Re : Re : Belgium Campaign 1815
« Réponse #121 le: 20 février 2011, 16:57:00 pm »
But why not , the same line start from Belle Alliance ?
100 mt more in advance from d'Erlon Corp.
There are not good conditions?
You have not explained.
Only hipothesis is clear,only for discuss.

If im be artillery officer in Napoleonic era i try to place cannons much closer to enemy if heights make it possible, in this position height make it possible, why i sould place cannons more faraway?
Glinka F.N. The memoirs of  Borodino battle. - "...screams of commanders and howls of despair on ten different languages was drowned by cannonade and drumbeat..."

Hors ligne Jacquinot

• Colonel
  • Victory or death!
« Réponse #122 le: 20 février 2011, 17:02:28 pm »
Thanks, very interesting map to see the ground. But like Alfiere, I cannot locate precisely the farms on this map (La haye Sainte, Belle Alliance, Mont-Saint jean, Papelotte,..).

Other descriptions of the battle in favor of the hypothesis of short distance grand battery are:
- the charge of heavy cav that rapidly reach the battery and well beyond before encountering the french line
- the number of ammunition and horses of the battery that should have been deployed along 400m deep so directly at the level of d'Erlon's line of concentration
Glinka F.N. The memoirs of  Borodino battle. - "...screams of commanders and howls of despair on ten different languages was drowned by cannonade and drumbeat..."

Hors ligne thilio

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #123 le: 20 février 2011, 17:08:56 pm »
Thanks, now it's clear.
It feats well with the panorama (post#60)  ;)
I still in favor of this short hypothesis but agree we cannot have any certitude  :?

Hors ligne Jacquinot

• Colonel
  • Victory or death!
« Réponse #124 le: 20 février 2011, 17:11:11 pm »
Great work.
I have heard that a battery (8 guns) occupied a length of 100 mt.
But where is Belle Alliance in the pic ? in the down border ?
Someone speak of 80 guns , other of more 50 .
For 80 guns = 1000 mt    (single row)
For 50  guns =600-700 mt

For 500m is 40 guns i think its to little for name Grande :smile:

Hors ligne Jacquinot

• Colonel
  • Victory or death!
« Réponse #125 le: 20 février 2011, 17:14:16 pm »
Thanks, now it's clear.
It feats well with the panorama (post#60)  ;)
I still in favor of this short hypothesis but agree we cannot have any certitude  :?

Yes its feats well but 500m to short line for much number of cannons, somthing wrong.

Hors ligne Alfiere

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #126 le: 20 février 2011, 18:12:52 pm »
For the great battery i have always the same idea that was placed 100-200 mt more advance d'Erlon Corp.

The little road that start from La Belle Alliance is very important,because follow the formation of D'Erlon corp and sicurely was use to move the guns more easy with muddy go down with little decrease of terrain.

For deployment , i like how is placed in the thilio historical map and agree totally with it.

For bibouba OOB , I think that is better possible after his great work .

Now is time to talking about of main orders,maybe a list of Napo orders and Wellington orders ?
What do you think Jacquinot and others who are interested ?
« Modifié: 20 février 2011, 18:15:58 pm par Alfiere »
Danube camp - 3rd Coaltion camp

Hors ligne Jacquinot

• Colonel
  • Victory or death!
« Réponse #127 le: 20 février 2011, 18:20:39 pm »
For the great battery i have always the same idea that was placed 100-200 mt more advance d'Erlon Corp.

The little road that start from La Belle Alliance is very important,because follow the formation of D'Erlon corp and sicurely was use to move the guns more easy with muddy go down with little decrease of terrain.

For deployment , i like how is placed in the thilio historical map and agree totally with it.

For bibouba OOB , I think that is better possible after his great work .

Now is time to talking about of main orders,maybe a list of Napo orders and Wellington orders ?
What do you think Jacquinot and others who are interested ?

The road from Belle Alliance is very important, but do you think small road full of mud can help to move cannons?
Yes its time to talk, what your book talk about orders?

« Modifié: 20 février 2011, 18:28:19 pm par Jacquinot »

Hors ligne Alfiere

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #128 le: 20 février 2011, 18:33:50 pm »
I prefer search a good site over internet , so is possible post with a copy a paste .(I think there is not problem,or not?)
Seems there is some little problems,perhaps is better write by hand what matters)
After that ,discuss how is possible execute in the battle.
After all , play a battle for simulation,maybe with some 'what if'
A good challenging task , but also interesting.
« Modifié: 20 février 2011, 18:55:04 pm par Alfiere »

Hors ligne Jacquinot

• Colonel
  • Victory or death!
« Réponse #129 le: 20 février 2011, 18:59:35 pm »
Tow views from different positions: 1) From small road from BelleAlliance to Papilot. 2) From line like on my map.

Hors ligne Alfiere

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #130 le: 20 février 2011, 19:10:57 pm »
Yes , the second is better view, because is more close.
We can play a variant for the two version of great battery. So we are all happy.
But do you want play for allied or french ?

Hors ligne Jacquinot

• Colonel
  • Victory or death!
« Réponse #131 le: 20 février 2011, 19:26:12 pm »
Yes , the second is better view, because is more close.
We can play a variant for the two version of great battery. So we are all happy.
But do you want play for allied or french ?

For french of course, its too hard work to defend this plateau, im try play in solo and smash English left flang after 2 hours, but English cavalry attack very fast and dangerous, my infantry allways run back or stay in square. The key to win is good artillery barage that the most important thing is Grand battary place and number of guns. But we can play twice, one time you French one time me.
« Modifié: 20 février 2011, 19:34:53 pm par Jacquinot »

Hors ligne Jacquinot

• Colonel
  • Victory or death!
« Réponse #132 le: 20 février 2011, 19:31:45 pm »
And more, when i play i detach all units to exclude all unauthorized orders because troops so close to each other and AI allways doing some thing.
« Modifié: 20 février 2011, 19:35:16 pm par Jacquinot »

Hors ligne bibouba

• Officier d'HistWar : Grognard de la Vieille Garde
  • Général de Brigade
  • Henri Gratien Comte BERTRAND
« Réponse #133 le: 20 février 2011, 23:56:40 pm »
tomorrow or tuesday I ll will send you the draw of the position of the great battery from Adkins. You will see the position. I use going to the battlefield and it s veru clear where is the place where the battery was deployed.

Hors ligne Alfiere

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #134 le: 21 février 2011, 09:00:47 am »
tomorrow or tuesday I ll will send you the draw of the position of the great battery from Adkins. You will see the position. I use going to the battlefield and it s veru clear where is the place where the battery was deployed.

Very weel,finally we know where deployed.
Thank