Auteur Sujet: How Modable will it be?  (Lu 5878 fois)

Hors ligne Riffraft

• Soldat
How Modable will it be?
« le: 03 juin 2004, 23:52:58 pm »
Hello JMM:

I know that I am probably jumping the gun and don't get me wrong I can't wait for  HW - Les Grognards to be released, but I was wondering how modable the game will be. For instance will it have enough range for modifications to allow me to create a Roman War Mod?

I figure I would need all of the following to be able to create the Mod:
Map Editor
Ability to Mod Unit Graphics
Ability to Modify Unit values
Flexable AI that could handle the different fighting style and formations

Hors ligne Link

• Comte d'Hanau
  • Major
How Modable will it be?
« Réponse #1 le: 04 juin 2004, 07:24:03 am »
Hi Riffraft,

I think I can answer that. Unfortunately (for you in this cace) you will not be able to do that.

Map Editor: Yes to some extent. You will not be able to do Roman castles for instance. Only objects available in the Napoleonic time.

Ability to Mod Unit Graphics: This has been asked before and the answer then was No.

Ability to Modify Unit values: I don't think so since it would make it possible to cheat in multi-play.

Flexible AI that could handle the different fighting style and formations: I can't imagine that would be possible either.

What you can do, easily with the two editors (Map & OoB), is other Napoleonic battles than the about 10 included in the game.

/Lars L.
Lars L.

Hors ligne Riffraft

• Soldat
How Modable will it be?
« Réponse #2 le: 04 juin 2004, 16:37:18 pm »
Thanks for the reply Link. Oh well, I will just have to wait until JMM puts out a Roman version :). I think that engine would work extremly well for a Roman game, but I am not sure JMM is into that time period of war.

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
How Modable will it be?
« Réponse #3 le: 04 juin 2004, 16:46:34 pm »
Bonjour Riffraft,

Merci Lars.. Just 2 comments...
a) It will be possible to make a lot of 'battles' with the 2 editors + the doctrine tool. Don't forget it will possible to modify some colors of destinctives.
b) I am no sure the present engine is able to drive the roman armies :oops: BUT I have to finish 'Les Grognards' then the other 18xx games. And, the antic epoch is very very interesting too.. Patience.. a lot of patience :wink:

Cordialement
JMM

Hors ligne Riffraft

• Soldat
Thanks!
« Réponse #4 le: 07 juin 2004, 18:07:26 pm »
Thanks JMM, I figured you had quite a few other games planned already, that is why I was hoping that the editor would be flexible enough for me to give it a try :). I used to be a Producer in the game industry and lately I have been contemplating taking on doing a game (just for fun), but didn't really want to start from scratch and the engine really looked like it would work well for a Roman game.

Oh well, I will just have to be patient.

Hors ligne Hentzau

• Adjudant
Re: Thanks!
« Réponse #5 le: 08 juin 2004, 06:49:12 am »
Citation de: "Riffraft"
I used to be a Producer in the game industry and lately I have been contemplating taking on doing a game (just for fun), but didn't really want to start from scratch and the engine really looked like it would work well for a Roman game.

Oh well, I will just have to be patient.

Hope JMM doesn't mind, theres this http://www.mindlink.com.ua/engine.htm Theres a great little 34MB video here http://www.gamershell.com/download_5521.shtml Sounds like they are interested in selling the engine for use in other games. Theres going to be alot of Roman games around soon with Legion, Praetorians, Pax Romana, and the definitive Rome Total War, a Scots vs English in the Robert de Bruce, William Wallace era is really needed more(hint). I just like bagpipes. lol  I imagine this engine won't function in the chain of command method that makes Les Grognards interesting though.

Its too bad the troop graphics aren't going to be available to mod for Les Grognards.  I think for ALOT of people thats a big part of the fun.  Just look at the Combat Mission series.

Hors ligne Riffraft

• Soldat
Nice Engine!
« Réponse #6 le: 08 juin 2004, 19:27:50 pm »
Wow!, that engine looks really good, damn near as good as Roman Totalwar, thanks for the URL. . I will have to contact them and see how much they want for a license fee. The Russian development houses are really putting out some good stuff lately. Quite a few of the games that I am waiting for are being developed by Russian developers.

Hentzau, that was one of the main reasons that I was hoping that Les Grognards was really flexible as far as modding. I really wanted to do a Roman mod using the chain of command system. The Totalwar games are great, but I have always felt that you have to much real-time control over the units. I think the reason for that is the AI in Totalwar just isn't good enough to effectively carry out the orders on it's own.