Auteur Sujet: More games  (Lu 4101 fois)

Intoxicated Man

• Invité
More games
« le: 17 avril 2004, 12:37:45 pm »
Hi all,
My two pence:
TacOps: This is a modern combat simulation, with a very intelligent use of SOP (Standard Operation Procedure?) where you give all the orders with conditions, -ie. go there, but pop smoke if you're fired at, or stay there and fire when certain type of units are at 500mts- so you never run into situations like a unit advancing under heavy fire and being decimated senseless, if you know what I mean.
But the best thing about TacOps is the possibility to CPX/Kriegspiele or whatever you want to call it. Basically, it allows you to play a game with several participants on each side and an umpire, who can alter the lenght of the turns according to the situation, throw unexpected (but realistic) events -like activation of a civilian faction suddenly hostile to you- and other things that an umpire can think of to make the game very, very interesting. The turn system is, like CM, WEGO, you plot your orders and the computer calculates one minute of game with everyone's orders. Another important thing about TacOps is the amazing care they put on the interface, everything is suposed to be very user-friendly, very few things require more than two clicks to get there.
Another option is HTTR. Everybody is saying that this is the future of computer wargaming. I've only played the demo but the way the AI control your units is indeed the way to go. You can micrmanage if the fancy takes you, but this game is about grand tactics. it's a real time game. You design your strategy and tell your units what to do. And that's about all you can do, cahnging orders in the middle of the battle is bad news and very disrupting. I recomend to have a look at the game. This could be a fantastic engine for a napoleonic game.
Intoxicated Man

Intoxicated Man

• Invité
More games
« Réponse #1 le: 17 avril 2004, 12:40:24 pm »
wooops, sorry I should have post this in a different thread perhaps?

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
More games
« Réponse #2 le: 18 avril 2004, 01:46:12 am »
Bonsoir

Citation de: "Intoxicated Man"
wooops, sorry I should have post this in a different thread perhaps?

Good post...
With these 3 levels of AI, I hope the engine will work very nice.
I would try to make a comparaison between these examples and Les Grognards...
There are 5 orders to a regiment : Look at 2 of ones:
a) order to move to a site,
b) order to reconnoitre,
the mean difference is in the first order a), the unit tries to go to the site.. with b) order, the unit tries if the strength opponent is lower than his strength... This process looks like the SOP you describe.. (yes??)

it's a real time game. You design your strategy and tell your units what to do. And that's about all you can do, cahnging orders in the middle of the battle is bad news and very disrupting.

In Les Grognards, you are THE Commander in Chief.. For example, there are 5 Corps in your army... You have to define your tactical plan
a) Deployment on line AB for Corps 1
b) Corps 2 in support to Corps 1
c) Defence on the line CD for Corps 3
d) Diversion for Corps 4 on line EF .. (at 10:00)
e) Reserve :  The last corps moves to center of your army :

Just around 15 Clicks to control all units (for example 100 units if each corps is 20 units strength  :wink: )

Wait for the Demo.. :wink:

Cordialement
JMM

• Invité
More games
« Réponse #3 le: 18 avril 2004, 18:17:14 pm »
JMM thanks for your comments, I guess I'll have to wait until the demo is available.

Hors ligne Le Tondu

• Officier HistWar : Grognard de la Vieille Garde
  • Capitaine
More games
« Réponse #4 le: 20 avril 2004, 01:49:06 am »
Citation de: "JMM"
Bonsoir.......................

Wait for the Demo.. :wink:

Cordialement
JMM

Now, that sounds real sweet.  I plan to buy whether there is a demo or not.
 :D
Vive l'Empereur!