Auteur Sujet: Historical vs unhistorical HistWar !  (Lu 5397 fois)

Hors ligne Frédéric Walther

• Officier Commander of the Gods
  • Chef de Bataillon
Historical vs unhistorical HistWar !
« le: 14 avril 2004, 19:56:57 pm »
A few days ago JMM has asked if you were pro historical OoB, or likely to "customize" OoB...
My question is also related to JMM's post "a dream".

For HistWar series, if JMM implements diplomacy, politics, naval mode and goodness knows what else !

I wish to know how many among us are likely to carry game out after 1815 ?

I mean after the end of the last battle of a campaign in progress...
I don't imagine Napoleon abdicating in favour of "the King of Rome" because HistWar is not Meier's Civilization :wink:
Comte de l'Empire;Général de division Colonel majors des grenadiers à cheval de la Garde; Grand Aigle de la Légion d'honneur

Hors ligne Link

• Comte d'Hanau
  • Major
« Réponse #1 le: 14 avril 2004, 22:48:17 pm »
Bonsoir Frédéric,

Perhaps a bit premature to discus a game that's not even been started yet but anyway I'll give you my view of it.  8)

In a game you should be able to alter the history while you play otherwise it would be too predictable. What if Napoleon wasn't defeated at Waterloo 1815? Perhaps that battle wouldn't even take place because Napoleon was defeated/killed  earlier or he already crushed his opponents.

I can imagine an end date in 1821.  :wink:

/Lars L.
Lars L.

Hors ligne Frédéric Walther

• Officier Commander of the Gods
  • Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #2 le: 15 avril 2004, 11:15:26 am »
Premature, as you said Link, but not so innocent… I explain:

Will JMM have to define in HistWar a “deadline” corresponding to Napoleon's death for example?
Or will we go until the historical period when Histwar’s doctrine will not be applicable any more (Napoleon the Third period more or less)?

Roughly will JMM let HistWar live its own life?
I think this must be defined prior to developing Histwar.

And as JMM says : "It feeds my thoughts"... so carry on boys (and girls :?: ) !
Comte de l'Empire;Général de division Colonel majors des grenadiers à cheval de la Garde; Grand Aigle de la Légion d'honneur

Hors ligne kikka

• Soldat
« Réponse #3 le: 15 avril 2004, 23:06:46 pm »
I prefer to let it end as late as possible. The players can always declare the game over by agreement in advance once certain conditions are met. If Napoleon dies in battle in Italy against Wurmser, maybe another general can take the empire into the eighteen-twenties or thirties...

Hors ligne Le Tondu

• Officier HistWar : Grognard de la Vieille Garde
  • Capitaine
« Réponse #4 le: 16 avril 2004, 14:29:09 pm »
My feeling is to not let things go too far.   End in 1821?  Maybe 1816-18?  It is pure speculation about what would have happened if Napoleon had thrashed Wellington.
Vive l'Empereur!

Hors ligne kikka

• Soldat
« Réponse #5 le: 16 avril 2004, 17:48:34 pm »

Le Tondu wrote:
It is pure speculation about what would have happened if Napoleon had thrashed Wellington.

Oui, Tondu! And therein lies the joy of this simulation! We get to speculate using the historical variables of force structure, geography, logistics, leadership and chance.

Hors ligne Tirailleur

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #6 le: 16 avril 2004, 20:33:13 pm »
I agree with kikka. Cause, if there is already the possibility of a "what if..."-OOB, then the end point of the simulation should be in the sense of "what if..." flexible.
Of course you can't go on too far in time, cause some time the improvements of weapons, organisation of the army, etc. are so different to the napoleonic era, that you digress too much from the historical circumstances.
Unless there will be an option in the game, that covers research and development (but I think that's going too far).