Auteur Sujet: Grand Cavalry Charge!  (Lu 5540 fois)

Hors ligne Cuirassier

• Grognard
  • Caporal
Grand Cavalry Charge!
« le: 24 mars 2004, 01:04:30 am »
Grand Cavalry Charge

JMM, hei!
Have you ever thought about implementing a grand cavalry charge in the Les Grognards system?

When I say “grand” I mean GRAND! As in a whole corps of cuirassiers and carabiniers charging knee to knee with the lights covering the flank (as in Eylau, as in Alt Egglofsheim, as in Austerlitz, as in Eckmuhl!)

As you know eight regiments of cuirassiers charging in a disjoint manner is not the same as two whole divisions ( with the same eight regiments) charging together under a cavalry leader capable of animating them (like a Murat or a Kellerman!)

The French were masters of divisional and corps level grand cavalry charges par none. And this inter-regimental and brigade cooperation won them many a charge. In many an European army, permanent cavalry organization higher than the brigade level was unknown. The British in Waterloo for example did not employ higher than brigade level organization.

My point is, whether it would be possible to implement a grand cavalry charge phenomenon on Les Grognards with its attendant higher morale boost and the sledgehammer shock value.

It could be argued that the following conditions have to be met in the game before you can launch a grand cavalry charge:

1* At least a division (with minimum four regiments) of heavy cavalry should be available in a geographically contiguous part of the battlefield. Call this the reserve cavalry division.

2* The division should be fresh: it should not have taken part in the battle up to that point and the losses due to long range enemy artillery fire should not have been excessive ( say less than 3 %)

3* A clear stretch of unbroken, relatively level ground of at least 600 yards should be available immediately in front of the reserve cavalry division. If infantry or broken ground impedes the reserve cavalry division then the division should maneuver towards open, unimpeded ground before commencing the grand cavalry charge.

4* A cavalry leader of known caliber and dash should be available to lead the cavalry in. Names like Murat, Kellerman, Ney, Montbrun, LaSalle, Grouchy, Nansouty, d’Espagne, Milhaud, Lefevbre Desnouettes come to mind.

Once all of these conditions are fulfilled, the player should have the option of launching the grand cavalry charge directing it towards a specific enemy area (not towards a particular brigade or division).

This grand cavalry charge should have extra morale and attack bonuses associated with it. Given the right circumstances this could be a battle winner.

I believe that only French Army should have the option of using it. Historically speaking no other army of the era had any training in divisional level cavalry maneuvers.

What do you think? Is it possible to implement such a feature?    

Best Regards,
Cuirassier

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
Grand Cavalry Charge!
« Réponse #1 le: 24 mars 2004, 08:56:28 am »
Bonjour Cuirassier,

Nice post again  :D

I am no sure the present engine allows to play a 'Grande Charge' like you were describing...

Proposal : I don't modify this first version, and I'll try to add this feature on the next version. (technically speaking,  it's a big task because the 'Grande Charge' dosen't use the same mechanism, and I have to make some important adjustments)

Laurent (HistWar artist) too wants to do Grande Charge of Eylau :wink:

JMM
PS : I am keeping this idea in my mind...

Hors ligne Le Tondu

• Officier HistWar : Grognard de la Vieille Garde
  • Capitaine
Grand Cavalry Charge!
« Réponse #2 le: 25 mars 2004, 17:02:05 pm »
I too would respectfully request a Grand Cavalry Charge.

My feeling is that if an event happened during the Napoleonic Era, then the game should reflect it.
Vive l'Empereur!

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
Grand Cavalry Charge!
« Réponse #3 le: 25 mars 2004, 18:05:54 pm »
Bonjour Le tondu,

I understand your request.. but if I try to put all behaviours of this era, Les Grognards will be never finished.. never! there were a lot of small marginal actions.. and it's very difficult to find the good generic responses.

I think it's a great step from the napoleonic wargame to Les Grognards.. and we have to advance step by step...

LGAA was the first piece. Les Grognards the second one.. and I'll continue to increase the features.. (ie Division and Brigade, ie Grande Charge).

Cordialement
JMM

Hors ligne Le Tondu

• Officier HistWar : Grognard de la Vieille Garde
  • Capitaine
Grand Cavalry Charge!
« Réponse #4 le: 27 mars 2004, 02:04:58 am »
Oh, I understand now.  Please take your time and do it your way.  You are the Master.  :)  

Watching this project proceed is like watching a flower bloom.  It is quite exciting.
Vive l'Empereur!