Auteur Sujet: Some questions from a Grognard  (Lu 18330 fois)

Hors ligne Cuirassier

• Grognard
  • Caporal
Some questions from a Grognard
« Réponse #15 le: 18 mars 2004, 20:00:38 pm »
Hello JMM!

980 Russian colonels eh! Must be quite exhausting. Anyways, take your time.  Meanwhile I will keep coming up with the tactical problems. Answer them at your leisure!

Best Regards,
Cuirassier

Hors ligne Frédéric Walther

• Officier Commander of the Gods
  • Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #16 le: 19 mars 2004, 09:57:52 am »
Dear Mister “Large brother” (Nickname of the Cuirassiers in the French army then).

Regarding the undeniable interest of your questions, JMM and I have decided to place your “conversation” to the FAQ section. To do so you will be kind to send me a copy of your next questions, so the French FAQ section profits by your interventions, ASAP…
Comte de l'Empire;Général de division Colonel majors des grenadiers à cheval de la Garde; Grand Aigle de la Légion d'honneur

Hors ligne Cuirassier

• Grognard
  • Caporal
« Réponse #17 le: 19 mars 2004, 16:53:43 pm »
Dear commander of the "Gods" (as the Horse Grenadiers were known!),

I will send you a detailed email today.

Once again, thanks for the prompt responses.

Best Regards,
Cuirassier

• Invité
« Réponse #18 le: 20 mars 2004, 20:57:43 pm »
Citation de: "Frédéric Walther"
Dear Mister “Large brother” (Nickname of the Cuirassiers in the French army then).

Regarding the undeniable interest of your questions, JMM and I have decided to place your “conversation” to the FAQ section. To do so you will be kind to send me a copy of your next questions, so the French FAQ section profits by your interventions, ASAP…

Hello Walther!
Here are the questions that I sent to your email. I am posting a duplicate here for backup.

Infantry

1. Would it be possible to detach the light company from a battalion as voltigeurs? If yes, could I actually see the sprites moving out from the parent battalion in skirmish formation?

2.Could I put a whole battalion of light infantry in skirmish fomation? (Tirraileurs en grandes bande)  

3. Would a battalion in skirmish formation be more vulnerable to a cavalry charge ?(as it should be!)

4. Would light infantry have more advantages while fighting in forests, broken terrain and built-up areas?

5. Would all type of regiments be allowed to deploy in skirmish formation? If yes, I would find it highly ahistorical. To fight in skirmish formation required special training and I would be surprised to see a Prussian Landwehr battalion deploy into skirmish order!

6. Would a bayonnet charge be more effective in column formation?

7. Would elite troops (like Grenadier battalions) have added bonus while attacking with the cold steel?

8. How are the musketry skills for the various nations (and various types of regiments) rated? For example would a battalion of British Redcoats shoot faster than a battalion of French line infantry?

9.What are the factors that would determine the outcome of a musketry duell between two battalions of equal strength?
10*Is the basic infantry unit a battalion or a regiment?

11*How many sprites does the game have for a basic infantry unit? Is the ratio like 1:10?

12*Would a battalion of infantry formed in square be able to slowly move?

13*Would the marching speeds of line and light infantry be different?

14*Would the marching speeds of infantry from different nations be different?

15*Is it possible that a battalion in LINE formation be ever able to repulse cavalry by pure firepower?

16*English texts on Napoleonic warfare mention two types of infantry fire :
   a) Fire by ranks. In this method all the three ranks fired simultaneously. Or the rear two ranks fired while the first rank reserved its fire.
   b) Platoon fire : The battalion issued a rolling fire by companies starting from the flank companies and moving towards center. Sometimes rolling platoon    fire could be delivered starting from one of the flank companies and moving to left or right as the case may be.
Your website mentions a term "drumfire" for the infantry in the FAQ. What does it mean?
17* What are the differences between light infantry and line infantry in the game? Please give examples of where each could be advatageously employed.

Cavalry

1. Would it be possible to execute a grand cavalry charge? I mean to combine four regiments into a division and make the whole division charge together. Or better still make a whole cavalry corps charge together! (Eylau anyone?)

2.Would I get an added morale bonus for a grand cavalry charge?

3. Only the French were masters of executing divison level and above grand cavalry charges. Would other nations be able to do this as well? If yes, this would be ahistorical. The British, for example, never had any cavalry organization higher than a brigade.

4. How about lancers? Would they have an advantage against infantry?

5. How would lancers do against regular sabre armed light cavalry?

6. Suppose two regiments of heavy cavalry meet on plain ground. Both have 500 sabres. Both are fresh. Both have equal battle experience. One is armoured, the other is not. Who wins?

7. Could I attach horse artillery companies to charging brigades or divisions of cavalry? If yes, how would the cooperation be between cavalry and artillery in attacking an infantry square?

8. Could I order a cavalry regiment to fake charge an infantry battalion (so that I could compel the intantry unit to go into square?)

9.Could I order the cavalry into open order while attacking an artillery battery?
10*Would it be possible for a regiment of cavalry to break an inf square under special circumstances?

11*Would heavy cavalry have a charge bonus against infantry?

12*Would light cavalry be able to completely surround a beaten inf battalion and compel it to surrender?

13*What are the relative advantages and disadvantages of :

Heavy Cav (Cuirassiers, Carabiniers, Horse Grenadiers, Heavy Dragoons)
   Line Cav ( Dragoons and Lancers)
   Light Cav (Hussars, chevaux-legers, chasseurs a cheval, light dragoons)
Please give examples of situations where these cavalry types have their unique advantages and disadvantages.
14* Is it possible that in the game a cavalry regiment would refuse to charge ( due to fatigue. moral loss etc?)
Artillery
1. Would howitzers be able to fire shells at buildings to set them on fire? What would be effect of roundshots on a garrisoned building? Effect of roundshot on the troops inside the building?

2. Would the reload speed and the gunnery accuracy vary from company to company (depending upon experience) and between nations? French gunnery was almost always superior on the field.

3. Would charging infantry be able to capture a battery?

4. Would horse artillery be fast enough to gallop with the charging cavalry?

5. Would horse artillery be able to gallop away from enemy cavalry when being attacked? I mean will it have the speed?
Combined arms tactics
1. Say I want to break an enemy infantry battalion. I have a regiment of light cavalry and a company of horse guns. I want to fake a charge against the inf battalion and force the unit into square. I then want the artillery company to blast away at the juicy target. How do I do this in the game? Could I attach an artillery company to the cavalry regiment with specific orders to support the cavalry charge?

2. Suppose I have a battalion of infantry and a regiment of cavalry. How do I defeat the enemy infantry battalion now?

3. What are the advantages of the checker board formation? (en echequier, again excuse my French). When should it be used?

4. What are the advantages of the echelon formation? When should it be used?

5. What are the advantages of the mixed order ( le ordre mixte?) formation? When should it be used?

6. What is the best troop type to assault a fortified building : grenadiers or light infantry?

7. What is the best formation to assault a fortified building?

8. What is the best method to assault a fortified building? Artillery bombardment first, grenadiers going in column formation screened by numerous light infantry?

9. What is the best troop type to assault an enemy in a forest?

10. What is the best formation to assault an enemy in a forest?

11. What is the best method to assault an enemy in a forest?
12. Is it possible to attach an artillery company to a cavalry brigade and move the two around as a unit?

TACTICAL PROBLEMS

In the following I am assuming an user who is new to the LGAA/Les Grognards system. I am assuming some passing familiarity with Napoleonic warfare basics though.

I am going to pose a number of tactical problems starting from the mundane and going towards more complex scenarios.

I would be very useful if you could give some detailed answers such as "Click on the brigade to select it; right click on the enemy to attack with cold steel" etc.

It is assumed that the player is French and the computer AI plays the Austrians. I am also assuming that the control is taken away from AI and the player is manually controlling the regiments/divisions/corps.

Some of the questions might seem very obvious to you. But I wanted to collect all of them in one place so that I could write a tutorial of some sort later!

Problem 1:
*A French line regiment encounters an Austrian grenadier battalion posted slightly to the left of the French march line. I want to send out two light companies, deploy the rest of the rgmt in line, deliver a few volleys, form column by divisions ( attack column in English literature) and charge in with the cold steel. What are the commands/ sequences for this?

Problem 2:
*Same as above. But I have an artillery company in support for the inf regiment. How do I move the arty coy to flank the enemy infantry and order it to move to canister range? What are the commands?

Problem 3:
*Same as above. But now I have a regiment of lancers to support me. How do I order the lancers to put them between the infantry square and the line of communication for the enemy?

Problem 4:
*I have an infantry divison. I want the first brigade to attack in line of battle. I want the second brigade to follow at 200 paces distance in attack column formation ( column of divisions). What are the commands?

Problem 5:
*I have an infantry divison and a brigade of light cav in support. I have a foot artillery company and a horse gun company. I want the infantry division and the foot arty coy to be under AI control. But  I want the cavalry brigade and the horse arty coy to be under the player control.
I want the inf division to move ahead by brigades, first brigade in mixed order, the second brigade in attack column formation. The foot arty should move ahead of the first brigade. I want to take personal control of the cavalry brigade and the hore arty coy to flank the enemy.
How do I do this?

Best Regards
Cuirassier

• Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #19 le: 24 mars 2004, 10:54:07 am »
Dear Cuirassier,

As you stated, there are only two main « fires » from infantry: fire by rank, and platoon (Or rolling) fire.

Drumfire is MY mistake translating JMM. I had read tales of French soldiers describing rolling fire as the sound of rolling drums… Let say I intended to add a bit of poetry to Napoleonic warfares ! As I’ve read some words from a British Officer at Waterloo, describing the sound of English bullets hitting french cuirassier’s cuirass: “It was like pouring rain hitting windows !”

I’ll soon write “rolling” in place of “drum”… sorry  !

Fred
Comte de l'Empire;Général de division Colonel majors des grenadiers à cheval de la Garde; Grand Aigle de la Légion d'honneur

Hors ligne Link

• Comte d'Hanau
  • Major
« Réponse #20 le: 24 mars 2004, 11:14:53 am »
Bonjour Frédéric,

Is it volley fire you refer to as "drum fire or "rollling fire"?  :?

In English a belive the words for the two main way to fire is "fire at will" and "volley".

/Lars L.
Lars L.

• Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #21 le: 24 mars 2004, 12:12:59 pm »
Here is the comment-question from Cuirassier66 :

16*English texts on Napoleonic warfare mention two types of infantry fire :
a) Fire by ranks. In this method all the three ranks fired simultaneously. Or the rear two ranks fired while the first rank reserved its fire.
b) Platoon fire : The battalion issued a rolling fire by companies starting from the flank companies and moving towards center. Sometimes rolling platoon fire could be delivered starting from one of the flank companies and moving to left or right as the case may be.
Your website mentions a term "drumfire" for the infantry in the FAQ. What does it mean?

So looks like we could now define 3 types of fire :
a) Fire by rank
b) Platoon, or rolling, fire
c) Fire at will (more or less a fact more than a real firing procedure !)

If somebody could give a clue about "volley", I'll be glad. I'll personnaly inclined to consider it as a synonym to"rolling" fire...

Gentlemen  :?:

Hors ligne Cuirassier

• Grognard
  • Caporal
« Réponse #22 le: 25 mars 2004, 00:31:14 am »
Volley fire is nothing but fire by ranks ( either three ranks firing at the same time or just two ranks dishing out the lead).

I have my source as "Swords Around a Throne" by Col.Elting

Regards,
Cuirassier

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
« Réponse #23 le: 25 mars 2004, 01:00:47 am »
Hello everybody,

Volleyfire means all compagnies didn't fire at the same time..

In fact, there were 3 kinds of fire: by peloton, by division (2 compagnies front) and battalion... For example, if there were 9 coys (compagnies), the first one began the fire, then second one and so on...
For these types, the 2 or 3 ranks of each compagny fired at the same time... (for 3 ranks, sometimes the last one didn't fire)

JMM
(In les Grognards, there is a new type : the regiment fire.. but it's not always true.. why : for example, in a square, only the coys in front of opponents fires.. There is a new formation (this one didn't exit in LGAA) : support of grenadier : in this case, if there is a threaten on a side of regiment, the grenadiers of the third or fourth battalion move on the side to protect his regiment. This process is controled by the AI.

Hors ligne Cuirassier

• Grognard
  • Caporal
« Réponse #24 le: 25 mars 2004, 01:09:10 am »
*Is it a must that one always starts the game in 2D mode?

*Say you have given a deployment order for a division in 2D. The division starts marching forward. You switch to 3D view. An unexpected threat appears on the flank and you want to command the regiment that is on the threatened flank to depart from the line of march and attack the enemy on the flank. I read that you can give the following four commands to a regimental colonel:
·   Attack toward enemy unit
·   Move toward geographical spot
·   Reconnaissance toward geographical spot
·   Support another Unit
So in the above situation, could you give the “Attack toward enemy unit” to the flank regiment from the 3D view itself? If yes, how do you do that?
Do you just right click on the enemy unit so that the flank regiment charges towards the enemy?

*If you order a cavalry regiment to charge an enemy unit, will it automatically go through the evolutions of trot, canter, gallop and charge?

*How do you make a regiment march towards a threat at double speed ( pas de charge) from the 3D screen?

*Could I make a regiment start from point A and go to point B via intermediate points C, D and E (given by the user) from the 3D screen? This is called marching by waypoints.

*In the 3D screen, once I am done with giving a regimental level command, how do I go up to brigade or division level again?

*And last but not the least, any words on the demo release? :D

Regards,
Cuirassier

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
« Réponse #25 le: 25 mars 2004, 01:40:35 am »
Citation de: "Cuirassier"
*Is it a must that one always starts the game in 2D mode?

No.. I hope a lot of gamers only will play in 3D mode.. and switch on 2D mode for sending some orders... I hope the 3D mode will be very nice :)

*Say you have given a deployment order for a division in 2D. The division starts marching forward. You switch to 3D view. An unexpected threat appears on the flank and you want to command the regiment that is on the threatened flank to depart from the line of march and attack the enemy on the flank. I read that you can give the following four commands to a regimental colonel:
·   Attack toward enemy unit
·   Move toward geographical spot
·   Reconnaissance toward geographical spot
·   Support another Unit
So in the above situation, could you give the “Attack toward enemy unit” to the flank regiment from the 3D view itself? If yes, how do you do that?
Do you just right click on the enemy unit so that the flank regiment charges towards the enemy?

Sorry.. maybe my text isn't clear. You can't say to your unit : attack this unit on his flank.. just attack this unit (Left click on your unit (2d or 3D), a small menu is falling, left click on the item 'attack', then left click on ennemy)... but if your unit attacks on the left flank of your ennemy, this one sends a grenadier compagny to protect itself. (AI controls this behaviour)  :arrow:  Is clear  :?:  :wink:

*If you order a cavalry regiment to charge an enemy unit, will it automatically go through the evolutions of trot, canter, gallop and charge?

yes.. (no canter.. this kind of mouveemnt is for the headquarter)
just march, trot and gallop...

*How do you make a regiment march towards a threat at double speed ( pas de charge) from the 3D screen?

It's not possible.. the speed of unit is defined by the formation.. I don't remember the different speed but 5500 m/h for the march (french), and maybe 3500 m/h for the line.. (and 1000 m/h for the square) [m = meter, no miles  :wink: no sure about the figures)

*Could I make a regiment start from point A and go to point B via intermediate points C, D and E (given by the user) from the 3D screen? This is called marching by waypoints.

No for regiment.. it's true for the Corps.. Don't Forget : In les Grognards, you are a CinC.. so the important orders are for this level.
So, for a corps, you can define a way with waypoints...
for example
march to A at 8:00
march to B at +0:00 (there is a new feature in Les Grognards : its possible to give a delay.. so +0:10 means : Launch the next order 10 minutes after the end of the previous one...

*In the 3D screen, once I am done with giving a regimental level command, how do I go up to brigade or division level again?

It's not possible.. there are 3 levels:
Commnander In Chief -> order to corps
Marshall -> order to regiment
Colonel -> formation, distance of fighting.

Maybe in the OoB, you can define a division or a brigade.. In this case, the middle level isn' corps, but Division or Brigade.

*And last but not the least, any words on the demo release? :D

I am tired.. and It's not possible to answer to this good question..
and it's 1:30 AM.. so I am going to sleep :)

Seriously.. ASAP.. but I can't say a date today. For example, I spent 6 days to finish the database of les Grognards.. (I thank only 3 days :oops: )

I hope on the end of the next month... BUT... I hope

Best Regards
JMM

Hors ligne Cuirassier

• Grognard
  • Caporal
« Réponse #26 le: 25 mars 2004, 03:37:24 am »
Thanks JMM!

You are a real GEM!

I  wish I had taken some French classes! I could have participated in the French forums then! There seems to be a lot more happening over there!

By the way did some one mention about my FAQ list on the French forum? I saw words like "Cuirassier". "colossale", "FAQ" etc. Was a bit curious, he, he :D

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
« Réponse #27 le: 25 mars 2004, 08:39:41 am »
Thanks JMM!

You are a real GEM!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I  wish I had taken some French classes! I could have participated in the French forums then! There seems to be a lot more happening over there!

Good idea... We are waiting for you 8)

By the way did some one mention about my FAQ list on the French forum? I saw words like "Cuirassier". "colossale", "FAQ" etc. Was a bit curious, he, he :D

Many french guys are impressed by your topics... (and I share this point of view)

Frederic and I are working about your questions to make a FAQ. (but I am late because I want to finish the database before answering to your question)

JMM

Hors ligne Henniak

• Officier d'HistWar : Grognard de la Jeune Garde
  • Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #28 le: 25 mars 2004, 11:32:51 am »
Cuirassier you must Keep asking JMM more and more !

TOTAL SUPPORT CUIRASSIER

I'm disapointed that we will not send order on brigade and division level :(
Vivement les grognards

Hors ligne Link

• Comte d'Hanau
  • Major
« Réponse #29 le: 25 mars 2004, 14:04:37 pm »
Hi Cuirassier,

Me too, I wish I had taken French rather than German as my third language.  :oops:  

However there is a short cut. I'm using http://babelfish.altavista.com to translate all French posts.  8)

And if I'm urged to post there I just use the translator to translate from English to French and then just copy and paste the French text to the forum.  :wink:

/Lars L.
Lars L.