Auteur Sujet: How will you play?  (Lu 4816 fois)

Hors ligne Link

• Comte d'Hanau
  • Major
How will you play?
« le: 17 mars 2004, 10:01:09 am »
Hello,

This is a translation of a topic in the French forum that JMM posted. I think it's only fear that the English speaking members of this board will have the same chance to comment it as well.  8)

Citation de: "JMM"
Good evening,

Of course the question is difficult (How will you play?). Those who already used LGAA have a small idea. For others, I conceive that it can be a little more delicate...

As help, if needed, to answer this very open question:

1: to play the provided battles, by using the existing Orders of Battle, or very quickly create your own proper army...

2: on the battle field, rather offensive by sending all the corps towards the front with out too much in reserve, or rather defensive observing the unfavourable deployment before going there...

3: by choosing the option Fog Of War max... or rather by wishing to see everything...

4: to very quickly test the parts in MP, or on the contrary to always play in solo, or to be well trained in solo before facing human adversaries...

5: to quickly send your best troops to the action, or on the contrary to use them only when it is necessary

6: to prepare the place with artillery, or to go up on line without preparation

7: to create armies (by linking the army corps) or to use only independent corps...

Thus open question, points above have only the objective to give some manners of apprehending HistWar...

(additional Question and without report/ratio:.. for those which already used TW: think that the battles of HistWar will resemble that part in Shogun or Medieval...)

@bientôt...
JMM

I have made some minor adjustments to better understand the text above. JMM can shoot me later for miss quoting him.  :P  :lol:

/Lars L.
Lars L.

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
How will you play?
« Réponse #1 le: 17 mars 2004, 10:23:33 am »
Merci Lars...

VERY GOOD IDEA... I agree with all :lol:

Sorry if sometimes I don't try to make the translation : this activity spends a lot of time because english isn't my native langage  :oops: (but you know this  :D )

Waiting for your answer...

THX Lars again : very good action

JMM

Hors ligne Link

• Comte d'Hanau
  • Major
How will you play?
« Réponse #2 le: 17 mars 2004, 12:31:05 pm »
You're welcome JMM, I just take my moderating responsibilities seriously plus I'm glad to assist you in every way I can.  :wink:

As for the question:

1) I love history so I prefer to play historical battles and after playing the battles already provided in the game I would create new historical battles using the two editors (Oob and Map).

2) Attack is the best defence! If you are the attacker you can out manoeuvre your opponent and you can benefit from having local superiority and a good mix of the different branches.

3) I think I will start with full visibility and gradually changing towards Maximum Fog of War for challenge.

4) I always play in solo so that I can play whenever I have the time.

5) I think I will use the guard (the immortals) only in critical moments.

6) It's always better to soften the defence and lower their morale before making the attack unless it's a surprise attack.

7) I prefer to play the French and the French corps was organized to be independent.

/Lars L.
Lars L.

Hors ligne Le Tondu

• Officier HistWar : Grognard de la Vieille Garde
  • Capitaine
Re: How will you play?
« Réponse #3 le: 17 mars 2004, 16:44:59 pm »
Thank you for asking.

1.  I would like both, but my favorite will be to create my own hypothetical OOBs.

2.  Offensive or defensive depends upone the local situation.  Blind reliance upon doctrine could be fatal.  It is the same without having a reserve to commit at the right moment.

3.  Max Fog of War is the way to go in order to have the correct immersive experience, in my opinion.  Initially, I would use the setting without it to assist during the learning curve.

4.  One must be totally familiar with the game before playing MP.  Someone once said "pratice makes perfect."

5.  It depends.  Playing historically correct as the original commander did can be fun.  For instance, Blucher clearly was not cautious.  He was a driven man and if one played him, one must not be timid.

6.  Same as #5, because it depends upon the situation.  Ideally, a bombardment is preferred and historically correct.  One MUST remember to play Napoleonicly.

7.  It would depend upon the scenario.  If it is a big set-piece battle, then they will be linked.  If it is a scenario about a portion of a big battle or a smaller battle where one Corps comes to the aid of another Corps, then they might not be linked.

I hope this helps.
Rick  :D
Vive l'Empereur!

Hors ligne Frédéric Walther

• Officier Commander of the Gods
  • Chef de Bataillon
How will you play?
« Réponse #4 le: 17 mars 2004, 18:07:16 pm »
Very, very good idea Link !... I'm a bit confused not to have done this before...lack of initiative or too much work translating JMM's never ending and over-elaborated sentences in Les Grognards' handbook. :roll:  :lol: I joking JMM, I'm joking as usual...

As I told on the French forum, my first step is to learn to handle Les Grognards i.e. small battles with limited strengths to begin... then progressively raise the quantity of units engaged.

The second step will be to revive the well known historical battles provided in Les Grognards, in order to humbly compare my skills to those of Napoleon… 8)

Then Multi-play…  :twisted:

My tactic…. well…uuuuuh… charge !  :alcol:

Seriously I think usual tactics are well known to the community here, lines protected by columns, artillery hammering, cavalry for recce or flanking…
I’m sure the difference will occur in the way the gamers… sorry, the Generals will take advantage of recce, terrain, weather… the fog of war option will be a great deal to the success of Les Grognards.

If the gamers agreed to play with fog of war option, and camera glued to army commander… You’ll only trust what YOU see and your aide-de-camp’s messages. In such conditions I’m sure battles between only a very few number of divisions will be largely sufficient to forget our principles of …tactic ! No ?
Comte de l'Empire;Général de division Colonel majors des grenadiers à cheval de la Garde; Grand Aigle de la Légion d'honneur