Auteur Sujet: General Question on Basic Premise of how HW:LG functions  (Lu 4646 fois)

Hors ligne Warren R Perez

• Adjudant
General Question on Basic Premise of how HW:LG functions
« le: 29 septembre 2014, 04:23:53 am »
I am a beginner.  So I am trying to get an understanding of the basic premise (idea) of how HW:LG functions.  In single player is it that the player
1.  issues orders to his units,
2. moves units to positions,
3. then AI takes over, considering the various factors of  types of troops, troop strength, stamina, morale distance to positions, etc.   AI then moves the players troops as well as the defense , the battle is joined and the results decided by AI?

Also,  what is the LOWEST level of commander that can issue orders?
Thanks.
Warren R Perez

Hors ligne sandman

• Chef de Bataillon
Re : General Question on Basic Premise of how HW:LG functions
« Réponse #1 le: 29 septembre 2014, 08:51:56 am »
I am a beginner.  So I am trying to get an understanding of the basic premise (idea) of how HW:LG functions.  In single player is it that the player
1.  issues orders to his units,
2. moves units to positions,
3. then AI takes over, considering the various factors of  types of troops, troop strength, stamina, morale distance to positions, etc.   AI then moves the players troops as well as the defense , the battle is joined and the results decided by AI?

Also,  what is the LOWEST level of commander that can issue orders?
Thanks.
Warren R Perez

I try to focus on the essentials for now:

1. As Commander In Chief you preferably give orders to the immediate subordinates: The Corps Commanders. You should avoid to micromanage single regiments exept if you find it unalterable. An important exception is the scouting especially at the beginning. Therefore you should draft some small light cavalery brigades and do the scouting of the front erea manually.
If you micromanage too much, you cause delay and mess to your corps commanders setups, cos they always have to adjust their force. Always take into account that a subordinate might not execute an order as it was meant, for several reasons.

2. You basically give setup-orders to your subordinate Corps Commanders. They will order their regiments in detail according the given directives. You can give single orders or sort out complete battle-plans with execution time or delayed successive movements and combine them with other corps. Be aware to not cross the different corp´s operational-areas.

3. At every moment you have the opportunity to give new orders, additional orders or change orders. But you should avoid to make too much use of that, cause every change takes time, depending on the force´s size and might costs resources (troops condition).
One very important way to involve the battle is to manage the reserves. That said, to determine the timing and the target for those. You might exchange them with weakened corps or try an all out offence. But reserves are extremely important. Also you are to protect your LOP (Lines Of Operation). If enemy forces take control of the LOP it has a dramatic impact on the affected army (loss of morale; giving up tasks). So an essential strategic target of every battle is to gain control of the enemy´s LOP.

The smallest unit to issue orders depends on the scenario. In most cases it is the regiment. In certain scenarios the CiC has also single divisions under straight command or is an corps commander with divisional commanders as direct subordinates and then the smallest units to issue orders are battailons.
« Modifié: 18 octobre 2014, 07:32:41 am par sandman »