Auteur Sujet: "The Lines of Wellington"  (Lu 3556 fois)

Hors ligne Marquês de Alorna

• Chef de Bataillon
"The Lines of Wellington"
« le: 24 septembre 2012, 23:00:56 pm »
Dear all,

I'd like to call your attention to this upcoming movie that will likely win good prizes in international festivals:

http://www.linesofwellington.com/

It is about the 3rd French invasion of Portugal (Masséna), which was stopped by the the Lines of Torres Vedras fortifications, only some tens of kilometers from Lisbon. The movie focuses the drama lived by the many civilians who were evacuated behind the lines.
The original director, Raoul Ruiz, Chilean by birth but also Portuguese and French by heart, unfortunately died of cancer during the making of the movie. His wife undertook the enterprise of finishing the movie according to his style and (as far as could be accomplished) directives. It was shot in western Portugal, in the region where the Lines of Torres Vedras stood (there are still some remnants that can be visited). The casting includes very famous actors such as John Malkovich (Wellington), Catherine Deneuve and Michel Piccoli, besides a very good set of Portuguese actors. The role Masséna is performed by Melvil Poupaud.

I think that you will not want to loose this one.

P.S. Raoul Ruiz was also the director of the award-winning "Mysteries of Lisbon" ("Mistérios de Lisboa") and Time "Regained" ("Le Temps Retrouvé").

Hors ligne Duke of Earl

• Duc d’Earl
  • Général de Brigade
  • Duc d'Friedland
Re : "The Lines of Wellington"
« Réponse #1 le: 25 septembre 2012, 01:03:41 am »
Bonjour Marquês,

Very informative  8) merci .... however, Malkovich was certainly a VERY poor choice to portray Sir Arthur Wellesley .... :( , and this Melvil Poupaud portraying Maréchal Masséna .... I do not know him at all ..... maybe even worse!!  :o .... I hope not

Cordialement, DoE
« Modifié: 25 septembre 2012, 01:10:01 am par Duke of Earl »

Hors ligne baurya

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #2 le: 25 septembre 2012, 08:57:32 am »
Just notice a mistake in the casting : Marbot was not general but only colonel  ;)

Hors ligne thilio

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #3 le: 25 septembre 2012, 19:22:07 pm »
Dear all,

I'd like to call your attention to this upcoming movie that will likely win good prizes in international festivals:

http://www.linesofwellington.com/

It is about the 3rd French invasion of Portugal (Masséna), which was stopped by the the Lines of Torres Vedras fortifications, only some tens of kilometers from Lisbon. The movie focuses the drama lived by the many civilians who were evacuated behind the lines.
The original director, Raoul Ruiz, Chilean by birth but also Portuguese and French by heart, unfortunately died of cancer during the making of the movie. His wife undertook the enterprise of finishing the movie according to his style and (as far as could be accomplished) directives. It was shot in western Portugal, in the region where the Lines of Torres Vedras stood (there are still some remnants that can be visited). The casting includes very famous actors such as John Malkovich (Wellington), Catherine Deneuve and Michel Piccoli, besides a very good set of Portuguese actors. The role Masséna is performed by Melvil Poupaud.

I think that you will not want to loose this one.

P.S. Raoul Ruiz was also the director of the award-winning "Mysteries of Lisbon" ("Mistérios de Lisboa") and Time "Regained" ("Le Temps Retrouvé").

Thanks  ;)

Hors ligne Marquês de Alorna

• Chef de Bataillon
Re : Re : "The Lines of Wellington"
« Réponse #4 le: 26 septembre 2012, 00:32:47 am »
Bonjour,

This movie is more of the "literary" style, not so much an war film in the true sense of the word. In that sense, John Malkovich is a good choice. If you like European cinema, you should like this one.

Cordialement, Alorna

Bonjour Marquês,

Very informative  8) merci .... however, Malkovich was certainly a VERY poor choice to portray Sir Arthur Wellesley .... :( , and this Melvil Poupaud portraying Maréchal Masséna .... I do not know him at all ..... maybe even worse!!  :o .... I hope not

Cordialement, DoE