Auteur Sujet: Reinforcements for Jena  (Lu 4532 fois)

Hors ligne MarshalJean

• Capitaine
Reinforcements for Jena
« le: 23 août 2012, 05:57:11 am »
Hello!

I've got the question of a newbie here for you all. 

I've recently done my best to draw up an OoB for Jena, which I've now played on Smokehammer's Jena map a few times.  In the OoB, I set Ney's VI Corps to be delayed as reinforcement to the field by 3 hours, or so.  I then set Ruchel's division to also be a delayed reinforcement for the Prussian side by about 8 or 9 hours.  The problem is, when I play, neither delayed reinforcement shows up for either side.  Am I missing something?  Both reinforcement corps will place one or two regiments just inside the map, right in front of the LOP colored indicator.  But neither corps actually comes out onto the field and when I try to click on the corps commander to issue movement/deployment orders no orders menu opens up.  Does anyone know why the reinforcements won't show up?  I've re-checked the settings in the OoB Editor to make sure that I didn't accidentally set the forces to arrive on the second day of battle, or something like that.  The settings are right and were saved correctly, so I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance!

MarshalJean
MarshalJean

Hors ligne Théodoricus

• Major
Re : Reinforcements for Jena
« Réponse #1 le: 23 août 2012, 09:18:45 am »
Hello MarshalJean,

One thing to check.
Did you set the delay to reinforcements for the Corps' Chief and also for each unit of this Corps?

Théo

Hors ligne MarshalJean

• Capitaine
« Réponse #2 le: 23 août 2012, 14:49:14 pm »
Hello, Theo.

Thanks so much for this idea.  I don't believe I gave the specific orders to each smaller elements within the respective corps, like you said.  I'll try this and get back to you.  Thaanks again.

MarshalJean
MarshalJean

Hors ligne MarshalJean

• Capitaine
« Réponse #3 le: 26 août 2012, 02:49:41 am »
Theo,

So I went into my Jena OoB and made sure that all of the regiments in Ney's VI Corps and Ruchel's reserve division were timed to arrive at 3 hours and 8 hours later, respectively.  And yet neither corps arrived.  Ney was supposed to arrive at hour 9 (the scenario begins at hour 6) and his flag could be seen at the point of reinforcement at the LOP, but he never entered onto the battlefield and I never had the chance to select his corps and issue commands.  Still not sure what I'm missing.  Thanks!

MarshalJean
MarshalJean

Hors ligne Théodoricus

• Major
« Réponse #4 le: 26 août 2012, 12:10:53 pm »
I did a test (HistWar latest version) with my historical scenario of the battle of Heilsberg where Verdier and Lannes arrive in reinforcements after 3:00 between the two french LOPs : no problem.
So I'm sorry because I can't help you.
You should see the problem with JMM.

Theo

Hors ligne MarshalJean

• Capitaine
« Réponse #5 le: 27 août 2012, 04:05:14 am »
Theo,

Thanks so much for your attention to this problem.  I imagine that I am just missing something I should know.  I will seek further help from JMM, as you said.  What is the best way to contact him directly on the forum?  I want to make sure and post the right questions in the right place.

Again, thanks for your kindness.

MarshalJean
MarshalJean

Hors ligne Théodoricus

• Major
« Réponse #6 le: 27 août 2012, 09:41:01 am »
I think the best way to contact JMM on the forum is to redo another thread called ''problem of reinforcements'' in SUPPORT (International zone) or to send the file ''spyboard'' (folder'' Tracking'') of the battle of Jena, so as to possibly allow JMM to see what is wrong. This file is to be sent to the following address: technique@histwargames.com
I allow myself a question: how do you make an OdB of Jena while Prussian units of 1806 are yet not available in HistWar?

Theo

Hors ligne MarshalJean

• Capitaine
« Réponse #7 le: 27 août 2012, 22:05:12 pm »
Good advice.  I'll try to contact JMM as you have suggested.  Thank you.

As for a Jena OdB, it was only possible because first, I gave myself permission to wander from historical accuracy, to some extent.  Because of the Waterloo mod, I had access to Prussian uniforms (albeit 1815 uniforms, not 1806) and some Prussian commanders (again, those in 1815).  What I had to do was select 1806 as the year of the battle, which automatically customized my Grande Armee units, as you would expect.  Using research on the time of the battle and units on both sides, I then chose Prussian units available from the Waterloo mod and had to rename as many commanders as possible to fit the Prussian army that was present at Jena.  Since, historically, the Prussian army of 1815 was vastly improved over that of 1806, I chose commanders that typically had very low stats and then renamed them to fit the commanders of those units present at Jena.  I did allow some better units in the Prussian cavalry, since historically it was a stout force, even in 1806, but sought to keep its other branches (particularly its artillery) at a low caliber.  Most significantly, I made sure that Hohenlohe and the division commanders were of low quality to better proximate Jena in 1806.  Even if, as some argue, the primary problems in the Prussian army had more to do with the senior military brass at the grand strategic level, the only way to simulate the vast quality difference between the 1806 Prussians and the Grande Armee is to purposely handicap their units on the field.

My main goal was to create a historical battle that would be very easy for the French side, since I am just learning the game and wanted a lot of room for making mistakes while still able to pull out a victory.  I thought that Jena would be a good candidate for this.  I felt that this was the best I could do with what we have for Prussian forces from the time.  But JMM's OdB editor is so powerful and ingenious, that a lot can be done with it, especially if you allow your imagination to fill in a bit. 

(As a side note, I was not able to find historical material that included the name of every Prussian regimental and brigade commander at Jena, so the OdB is not complete to every detail.  I'm sure the information is somwhere, I just don't have it.  But I have their main corps and divisional commanders, seeking to approximate their abilities).

If you have any suggestions of your own on how to improve this process, I would sincerely welcome it.  Thank you, sir.

MarshalJean
MarshalJean

Hors ligne glaude1955

• Major
« Réponse #8 le: 28 août 2012, 07:45:23 am »
If I remember correctly, the Prussian model of Waterloo are only active from 1815 to 1816.
To make them appear in 1806, there are a few files to edit.

Hors ligne Théodoricus

• Major
« Réponse #9 le: 28 août 2012, 10:48:00 am »
As maybe you know, I've published numerous historical battle scenarios that can be downloaded from the official repository of HistWar. I have not done any of 1806 since correct Prussian units are not available.
Not being currently at home, I can't check my documents. I'll tell you when I get back if I have information on the regimental or brigade commanders.

You can try what my friend glaude1955 suggest you.

Theo