Auteur Sujet: Artillery recoil, is it needed?  (Lu 3089 fois)

Hors ligne [NBC]Friant

• Major
Artillery recoil, is it needed?
« le: 07 mai 2012, 09:50:03 am »
As it is so hard to attack a defensive player now, how historically correct is artillery recoil, does the game need it?
Obviously it is some sort of self preservation mode the artillery goes into, but is it correct and is it needed?
Attacking someone hell bent on defence with equal ceh is nigh on impossible, we have struggled with 30, 40 and 50 ceh advantages, making it even more difficult if your artillery is permanently in a state of recoil.
I have never had my doctrine set to counter battery fire and still I have managed to put my opponents artillery on recoil, counter battery fire was very rarely seen on a Napoleonic battlefield yet most people have enemy artillery as the main target?
Even if the artillery deployed further back at least it could defend your infantry and other artillery against cavalry attack, but for long periods of time they end up trying to redeploy in a live fire zone? Could this be a changeable option built into the games startup menu?
Even when infantry are moving up for attack and the enemies guns switch targets they manage to partly deploy and then switch back to recoil again!
And, when a corp has six batteries would they all honestly be affected by artillery recoil even if your opponent has less artillery?
Frustrating is a word I would use to sum up artillery recoil.
Anyone else find artillery recoil needless? ;)

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
Re : Artillery recoil, is it needed?
« Réponse #1 le: 07 mai 2012, 15:54:05 pm »
Hello Friant, as you know I find this "recoil" very annoying and don't really understand why it's about.  The strange thing is, some battles it is a lot worse than others ????.

At the moment the best "tactic" in HW is to keep your guys on a defensive line and creep forward, bit by bit, to keep your cannons able to fire, a "deploy" advance will (most times) see your artillery not able to fire.

Hors ligne Marquês de Alorna

• Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #2 le: 08 juin 2012, 23:22:16 pm »
Well, maybe this functionality needs some tweaking, but it already saved me a lot of guns.

Hors ligne [NBC]Friant

• Major
« Réponse #3 le: 09 juin 2012, 15:03:33 pm »
This maybe the case, but sometimes more batteries are on recoil than are firing at them.
If they were to move to the limit of their range and then start firing it would help, but they continuously jostle for position trying to get to the deployment line and while this is happening your batteries are taking fire, just needs some tweaking in my opinion.
Even if they moved to extreme range to return fire it would be something.