Auteur Sujet: I'm creating a "what if campaign".... but hear me out ;)  (Lu 4620 fois)

Hors ligne ClintonDH

• Soldat
I'm creating a "what if campaign".... but hear me out ;)
« le: 29 avril 2012, 01:51:58 am »
I understand that historical accuracy is key to the simulation experience that the Histwar developers/community have so successfully maintained. Historical accuracy of OOB, of the various units, and on and on.... to me though the actual historical campaigns (although great) leave a hole in my experience. I want to engage in my own campaign.... as if I were carrying on that glorious endeavor which ended at Waterloo. 

So having so much free time as of now, I am working on an "alternative history" based campaign.
_The invasion of Ireland_

Since we all know that Napoleon planned to invade England, and also know that the French navy was not capable of engaging the Royal navy en masse.... we can agree that had Napoleon been able to invade England... he would have not set foot on the mainland... not in his lifetime.

But Ireland..... maybe...  also makes for a chance to factor in the nutty Irish/Scottish hillfolk rebels ;)       So anyway, the campaign will begin in County Fermanagh... where the French have just landed in secret, and through the co-operation of a few Irish rebels will make way across Ireland fighting off loyalists.... ect.     (Back story needs work but hey.... I just began the first map..... anyway   If you have any suggestions at all... for the story, the maps, the OOB or command, ANYTHING.  I hope that you would chime in, that is if you find this idea exciting..

Anyway, hope to get to know some of you better... and thanks for your time.

Clinton

Hors ligne oster1815

• Général de Brigade
Re : I'm creating a "what if campaign".... but hear me out ;)
« Réponse #1 le: 29 avril 2012, 12:19:43 pm »
Hello Clinton,

I am also interested in " what if history " and - guess what - I'm trying to find some fellows Histwarians for a "Napoleonic Seelowee"..........  :shock:

If you can read a bit of french, you'll find some discussions in "Napoleon voulait-il débarquer en Angleterre ? " ( yesterday  :!: )  , there are also some jokes about landing with our russian friend Jacquinot. :)

On my own, I'm more excited by a landing on England mainland following the path of Cesar  and Guillaume ( or the planned Seelowee...)  because there are potential encounters between more colorfuls Yeomanry, Fencibles, regular Lobsters and the 1805 Napoleonics in Blue, White or even Red..... :p

Now, I confess I have  not really considered the Irish landing and I don't know what possibilities are offered...I think it was a backdoor with more limited scope _ but it may give a very interesting campaign with political factions etc.....and some "roleplaying"  :?:

As for the Royal Navy there is always a possibility to have it stuck somewhere by calms or pursuing ghosts in the west Indies.......and in 1805, the numbers were not so bad for the Franco-Spanish, and " what if"   Napo don't tried to manoeuver fleets like Corps d'Armée.......... :mrgreen:

All this is very exciting and I hope we'll have some followers   ;)

http://www.histwar.org/forum/index.php/topic,6508.0.html

http://www.histwar.org/forum/index.php/topic,6514.0.html

My tavern is la Carmagnole on the French forum  :p
« Modifié: 29 avril 2012, 15:21:59 pm par oster1815 »
Si tu veux la PAIX, connais la GUERRE  !  Gaston Bouthoul

Hors ligne Duke of Earl

• Duc d’Earl
  • Général de Brigade
  • Duc d'Friedland
« Réponse #2 le: 29 avril 2012, 13:30:23 pm »
Bonjour ou Bonsoir Msr. ClintonDH,

Actually, if memory serves, an "Irish Campaign" is probably not as far-fetched as it sounds for this time period .... good luck with the development .... ;)

Cordialement, DoE
« Modifié: 29 avril 2012, 13:50:05 pm par Duke of Earl »

Hors ligne oster1815

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #3 le: 29 avril 2012, 16:06:03 pm »
Good Morning Citizen General,

If you have any ideas about this "Alternative History"  or documents about the Irish prospective landing  places, forces available, etc... it can be helpful .....
I only have short relations of the 1798 , General Humbert's expedition...with the infamous "Castlebar races"   :lol:

I have nothing about irish militia units, which looks quite unreliable......or about the Free Irishmen forces.  I only guess they were probably not really different from the Vendeans and Bretons of the "Chouannerie"  rebellion, their Catholics and Celtics "cousins"   :?:
Also, I guess the Irish rebellion was Catholic and the pro-British militia was Protestant _ or I'm wrong  and the religious problem was different from the political one _ it is quite difficult as Irishmen look divided also on other basis   :roll:

Anyway, don't forget you're always welcome at the tavern " La Carmagnole",  Cheerio  :p

Hors ligne ClintonDH

• Soldat
« Réponse #4 le: 29 avril 2012, 21:36:54 pm »
OSTER1815

The point about the Catholics being more likely to hold the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" sympathy is well taken... and makes a huge difference in my plans. Thanks
I am thrilled that you have begun a group with similar aims. I still think that we can come together on the basics... that is (invasion of England). But I am stuck on the Idea that Napoleon would have sought to wear England down via Ireland first. I'll post some info to support this claim...

Duke of Earl

I didn't realize that Napoleon had thought this idea over.... a wealth of information has presented itself. Thanks

Hors ligne ClintonDH

• Soldat
« Réponse #5 le: 29 avril 2012, 21:40:45 pm »
I have stumbled apon a wealth of information.

Napoleon's Irish Legion:
       La Legion Irlandaise
            1803 - 1815

By: Virginia Medlen
Scource : (http://www.napoleonichistoricalsociety.com/articles/irishlegion.htm)

Hors ligne oster1815

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #6 le: 29 avril 2012, 23:40:35 pm »
Thank you for this useful ref.

Regarding the planned invasion, it looks like Napoleon really considered landing only in England  _ the transports assembled near Boulogne were not seagoing vessels...!_ and walking at the double to London, before a strong regular force was gathered......

This was a real gamble and required too many favorable conditions ....but with luck and good winds , it may had succeded  :arrow:  and I think it was not so different from 1940 planned "Seelowee " situation  :mrgreen:

Ireland was probably discarded as the main "schwerpunkt" because :  1/ it is too far to carry a sizeable force,  and 2/ the previous attempts were costly failures. But it was always a good backstage for a small force, led by the free Irishmen, with enough weapons and support  to gather volunteers and divide the British effort ....but the best leaders  were dead or fleeing and the Irish people was probably not ready to live another " Year of the French" after the losses they'd suffered for nought  :evil:

Now, I'm sorry to say that I have yet no real group....only some friendly exchanges_ the "main force" being hardcore Napoleonians engaged in "real" campaigns and battles _ but, who knows ?   ;)