Auteur Sujet: LOPs taken by single Regts  (Lu 9413 fois)

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
LOPs taken by single Regts
« le: 19 janvier 2012, 22:23:40 pm »
Over at NBC we have been talking a lot about how a single small Cav Regt (that could be over 5k + away from friendly troops) is able to take an enemy LOP, we wonder if this should only be possible by a stronger force like 5,000+ MEN,  this would stop the somewhat "silly" situations where 400 Cavalry men, miles away from friendly troops take an LOP.

We understand why this happens, and agree a LOP being taken should be very serious, the way units rout now after losing the LOP is great, much better than in the past, but should this be happening with 400 men sneaking around miles away from friendly troops ?.

« Modifié: 19 janvier 2012, 22:28:39 pm par Gunner24 »

Hors ligne thilio

• Général de Brigade
Re : KOPs raken by single Regts
« Réponse #1 le: 19 janvier 2012, 22:30:56 pm »
An old debate some time ago on the french forum with the HIT.... 8)
Some players have made the same suggestion of a minimum strength to take the LOP.

Hors ligne thilio

• Général de Brigade

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
Re : LOPs taken by single Regts
« Réponse #3 le: 20 janvier 2012, 09:17:25 am »
One very efficient method to keep your LoP... just holding 2 or 3 units near the location...
That said, I can add a new procedure but which is the best limit for the strength : 500, 1000, 5000...

I am opening an item in my list of "to do" for the version HW2...
I'll try to add a new rule.

JMM

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #4 le: 20 janvier 2012, 11:14:03 am »
That said, I can add a new procedure but which is the best limit for the strength : 500, 1000, 5000...
Not easy, but I would prefer a higher number than a lower one.

In reality how many men would it take [to be well in the rear of a formed Army] to create panic ?......I don't know, but a few 100 does not sound enough, but 5,000 sounds a bit scary !.  Perhaps something in between ?.

Hors ligne Soldat Louis

• Major
« Réponse #5 le: 20 janvier 2012, 11:45:42 am »
I would say, one brigade or one division. Thus when the division level will become available for giving orders we will already have the good size.

Hors ligne zu Pferd

• Colonel
    • [IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/20f5jja.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/20f5jja.jpg[/IMG]
« Réponse #6 le: 22 janvier 2012, 19:21:56 pm »
Hello Gentleman,

After reading this thread started by Gunner and the link posted by Thilio, temperatures are
running high over the LoP . A very important feature in the 'game' and historically  since
professional armies marched off to battle.

I see 2 camps forming, those who want to create as close as possible a Napoleonic battle and achieve a victory
those who will use the present rules designed in the game to achieve a victory.
In my rather limited experience, based on  sequence  HPS Battleground  ect games  the game designer
allowed for certain things to happen which did not follow a historical approach or looked like 'swarming' a
disorganized unit (after a melee) with skirmisher units and wiped out...and other behavior which the game
engine allowed.
So some rules of behavior had to be established for the general enjoyment of the game that were predicated
by a napoleonic reading of the behavior, for instance :

-skirmisher units must retreat in front of an 'advancing'  column ,
- skirmisher units with a D chit (disorganized) must return to the parent unit and be reabsorbed -cohesion of the unit

HistWar  being a much more dynamic napoleonic game has game appeal and game flaws like any game it is
up to the players to come to an agreement at the beginning of the encounter, and then on to Victory, or Defeat  because
we know gentlemen,  if there is a Victory  for someone there is a Defeat for someone else .
So... on to the battleground  with courage :  I say this because so far I've be thoroughly trashed left and right and I'm
waiting for the center : Three times a charm    :lol:
`` Non ridere, non lugere, neque detestari, sed inteligere``
Spinoza

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #7 le: 25 janvier 2012, 14:23:43 pm »
The LOP "system" was a little bit broken for a long time, but it seems to be working very well now with one small exception, there is still the odd time a LOP changes with ROUTED enemy troops, but this is not often, it may have something to do with FOW and vague settings, maybe friendly troops are not sure the enemy is routing ????.

One of the NBC members said some games end up looking like a "football match" and I have been thinking about this ever since, it is true, some games do have a "swap sides" type of feel to them but I think that is something we have to live with, I don't think any "rules" will stop that happening. 

The only thing I do wonder, reading books of real battles, is why that never happened in real life, I can only assume that once the DANGER of an line of communication being taken was there, that was in effect the end of the battle, they HAD to retreat or else the whole Army could be lost ??????.

What would have happened at Waterloo IF the French had got troops onto the Waterloo / Brussels road behind the Allied Army at say 3pm ?.  The Allies would be cut off, but then again the French there  would also be cut off ?......football again ?.  Both sides charging into the others rear, but the the ones in the rear are also cut off.

My only "game play" answer would be to have a MASSIVE drop in moral for ANY troops that were too far away from the baulk of the Army - that way a single Cav Regt could never take an LOP, his moral would fail, and even a small/medium force may refuse to advance if the main Army was 5k or more away.

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
« Réponse #8 le: 27 janvier 2012, 16:19:19 pm »
My only "game play" answer would be to have a MASSIVE drop in moral for ANY troops that were too far away from the baulk of the Army - that way a single Cav Regt could never take an LOP, his moral would fail, and even a small/medium force may refuse to advance if the main Army was 5k or more away.

That Gunner, is a brilliant solution :D