Auteur Sujet: Editing 3d symbolic view  (Lu 2864 fois)

Hors ligne Andrea

• Lieutenant
Editing 3d symbolic view
« le: 14 novembre 2011, 18:15:20 pm »
Hi all,

I'd like to know if somebody is interested in a 3d symblic view improvement, I've already posted my thoughts in the "Wish List " thread. I think of a 3d symbolic view similar to the table of a miniature game, so I'd like to see 3d woods, buildings, bridges, just simple objects no great detail. I also prefer a green terrain substituting the brown tones.
I would be happy to have JMM opinion about it and possibly some tips on the files to work on. I've already worked on 3d view building files using 3ds max and photoshop, so I have an idea on the way to operate

thanks
Andrea

Hors ligne Franciscus

• Colonel
Re : Editing 3d symbolic view
« Réponse #1 le: 14 novembre 2011, 18:29:47 pm »
I would be definitely interested, as stated before. I think that would give, maybe with not much work (?), an added layer to this game in a more appealing F4 view, specially for tabletop players.

Alas, my interset is rather selfish, because I have no knowledge whatsoever in graphics, and can not offer any help... :oops:

Regards

Hors ligne Soldat Louis

• Major
« Réponse #2 le: 14 novembre 2011, 19:10:30 pm »
As a matter of fact, I feel that we (including myself) do not use the 3D symbolic view as much at it deserve. However, it is probably the best view to analyze the overall situation and to give orders. The 2D Otan symbols are often piled and do not give indications about units orientation or formation...
The reason for the 3D symbolic low usage is complex. Personally, I would change the currents "matchboxes" to something more simple but also more informative : different style for cavalry-art and inf, animations for units firing or under fire (like in 2D) and also a way to distinguish at a glimpse between light and heavy cav, same for the inf.  

It would be great if one could :
- Highlight the fire range areas : where do we have to stop in order to be out of the range of a grand battery, are there masked areas that my battery cannot reach.
- Highlight the area of the battle fiels that each corps control : it will be more easy to "see" our corps mooving when they tend to mix up during the battle: who is retreating, who is advancing. It would be nice to use a different colao code of this area to check the average "moral" potential of each corps (not just unit by unit) : il will help to anticipate a run away!
- Highlight the area of the battle fiels that cannot be seen from the CiC or by a unit (by clicking on it). This is quite an issue: if you don't see any units in a part of the battle field, is it because there are none or because it is a hidden part that your reco cannot see?
- Highlight the battlefiels area to reveal +/- coefficients for : movements, defense, attack. In the far future of the game the terrain will be more detailled, with walls, fences, bushes, small elevations and depressions (I hope). It would then be a shame not to introduce them in the stategic plans and 3D symbolic view will be very helpfull for that.

I don't think that that would compete with the real 3D. The idea would just be to replace the 2D by the virtual 3D.

BUT, the game is already great as it is and I am sure that JMM hasmany ideas about this. Not for tomorrow JMM, we appreciate what we already have.

Hors ligne Andrea

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #3 le: 14 novembre 2011, 19:43:57 pm »
I agree on all the aspects you explained, I find particularly interesting the last one about movement/defence/attack coefficients, just like a miniature game where the player can evaluate the power of a position or the difficulty of a movement. I believe it would be great to have boxes in 3d symbolic view showing informations on the unit: light/heavy cavalry, formation... just a label reporting these informations, and some 2d animation in order to show a combat/firing status.

Anyway, I really appreciate the game as it is now, it's exactly what I expect from the Napoleonic Game  :smile:

Andrea
« Modifié: 14 novembre 2011, 19:50:10 pm par Andrea »

Hors ligne oster1815

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #4 le: 14 novembre 2011, 22:55:02 pm »
I agree that all this ideas could improve the pleasure to play,  specially if we get the feeling of miniatures players proposed by Andrea ...
What matters is nobody is obliged to play like this, if it is an option like today F4 !
So, it'll be just another way of enjoying the game....just like the 36 positions    ;)

"All we need is love"
Si tu veux la PAIX, connais la GUERRE  !  Gaston Bouthoul