Auteur Sujet: Wondering about HistWar  (Lu 10275 fois)

Hors ligne Bletchley_Geek

• Soldat
Re : Wondering about HistWar
« Réponse #15 le: 30 novembre 2011, 19:09:05 pm »
But this is only a very personnal point of view and not really hardcore wargaming

Well, I do certainly also enjoy seeing battalions charging at each other and all that :) But I meant stuff such as getting messages like these (appropiately delayed and/or requiring AdC's going there and checking):

"26th Light Regiment is wavering at Sokolnitz"

;)

*Is an editor available in SOW ?

Not an "editor" as in an application, but rather a SDK (whose nature I've got still to  research). I think this has certainly limited the vitality of SoW.

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
Re : Wondering about HistWar
« Réponse #16 le: 02 décembre 2011, 01:39:38 am »
I was at first appalled seeing a French Army organised in Columns as the Allies in Austerlitz. However, I can live with it and I understand it was a decision to simplify the problems of developing a working AI (which Histwar certainly has). This is certainly a major thing to consider for the scenario designer, who has to decide what "Groups" to introduce into the OOB to cater for the better (which might mean more historical or not) enjoyment of the experience conveyed by the scenario.

At the risk of sounding patronising, which I don't want to be  :? It is up to you as the CinC to decide on the formation your Army Corps are going to fight in, don't like Column, change it mate.  That's what HLG is all about, YOU are the CinC not the Scenario creator, he is just giving you an OOB, Deployment and a Map, up to you how you use it.  If a Scenario creator has put the Army on the Map in "March Column", he is not infering that this was somehow a "Correct" deployment, he merely presumes that the player will make his own deployments in the "Initial Deployment Phase"

Hors ligne Bletchley_Geek

• Soldat
Re : Re : Wondering about HistWar
« Réponse #17 le: 02 décembre 2011, 10:13:21 am »
At the risk of sounding patronising, which I don't want to be  :? It is up to you as the CinC to decide on the formation your Army Corps are going to fight in, don't like Column, change it mate.  That's what HLG is all about, YOU are the CinC not the Scenario creator, he is just giving you an OOB, Deployment and a Map, up to you how you use it.  If a Scenario creator has put the Army on the Map in "March Column", he is not infering that this was somehow a "Correct" deployment, he merely presumes that the player will make his own deployments in the "Initial Deployment Phase"

Don't worry AJ. I didn't mean formation as in "tactical formation" but as in "operational formation".

I meant "columns" as in the term used to describe those maneuver elements which aggregate several regiments. I think that was the usual term to refer to these during the 18th Century. One of the big innovations - I think - of French Revolutionary armies was to organize into a three-tiered organization, involving Corps, Divisions and Brigades. That's all :)