Auteur Sujet: cavalry control & prisoners  (Lu 4088 fois)

Hors ligne Andrea

• Lieutenant
cavalry control & prisoners
« le: 12 septembre 2011, 20:03:54 pm »
Hi all,

I'd like to write my opinion about an aspect of the game that has been discussed yet. Recently I played Quatre-Bras and Ligny scenarios, I find the game is great and improved a lot since the first release (thanks JMM for the wonderful job) but
I notice cavalry is still difficult to control, I often see my regiments attacking the enemy and move into the enemy lines to be finally taken prisoner. I know about the "initiative" option but it doesn't seem to allow a complete control of the unit.
Maybe I should experiment different deployments of my cavalry corps, varying the distance from the enemy lines and watch the cavalry behaviour. I think infantry units are more manageable, but sometimes AI controlled units become too easily isolated from the army and tend to fall behind enemy lines, I think that entire regiments to be taken prisoner is not really historical.
Thanks to everyone who wants to give an opinion about my thoughts.

Andrea   

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
Re : cavalry control & prisoners
« Réponse #1 le: 13 septembre 2011, 03:40:32 am »
Cavalry were always difficult to control.  Just look at Ponsonby's Scotts Greys at Waterloo :twisted:

Hors ligne thilio

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #2 le: 13 septembre 2011, 21:23:51 pm »
I notice cavalry is still difficult to control, I often see my regiments attacking the enemy and move into the enemy lines to be finally taken prisoner. I know about the "initiative" option but it doesn't seem to allow a complete control of the unit.
Maybe I should experiment different deployments of my cavalry corps, varying the distance from the enemy lines and watch the cavalry behaviour.

Yes, sometimes cavalry go ahead and become prisoner.
Unless for attacking, i try to avoid deploy order for cavalry, rather using diversion or link up.
When units go too close to ennemy lines, i give individual orders to bring them back...
Just tricks  ;)

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
« Réponse #3 le: 13 septembre 2011, 21:42:23 pm »
Right.. I don't like the rule about the cavalry... :oops:
I think this new patch 03b (RC3) is the best of the different versions.
That said, yet there are some "curious" behaviors and I have to adjust several rules.

I'll try to improve LGdN for the official release 03b (for example a rule to improve the catch of cavalry)

JMM

PS : 03b no before 2 weeks  :p

Hors ligne Andrea

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #4 le: 13 septembre 2011, 22:13:31 pm »
Ok,
I think a better "calibration" of the initiative option should easily give a good control of cavalry regiments.
Just another thought regarding the mechanics of the game: it would be interesting for me to understand
how combats are solved, obviously I don't ask for a detailed description of the algorithms that run the game,
but I'm curious about the elements that decide the result of a musket fight or a cavalry charge.
How the position of a unit is considered? for example a unit positioned on the top of a hill facing another
in march from the base of the hill. How morale, quality of the unit, presence of a commander, fatigue and so
on are considered in the calculation? I only ask myself if the mechanism is similar to the classic dice games
like Napoleon's battles, where all the mechanics are based on dice modifiers, is it the same for Histwar?

That said, I want to say another time thanks to JMM for the constant efforts, Histwar is the Napoleonic Game
This is the Game

Thanks
Andrea

« Modifié: 13 septembre 2011, 22:19:08 pm par Andrea »

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
« Réponse #5 le: 21 septembre 2011, 22:13:16 pm »
After writing a documentation about the Mod of building, I'll try to write an abstract on the calculation for the fighting.

JMM

Hors ligne Andrea

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #6 le: 21 septembre 2011, 22:57:45 pm »
Ok

I'm just curious about the mechanics of the game, I imagine it's not so easy
to describe all... there will be time for a deep documentation

thanks
Andrea