Auteur Sujet: Attacking?  (Lu 10141 fois)

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
Re : Attacking?
« Réponse #15 le: 10 mai 2011, 22:52:48 pm »
Fixed a long time ago :D

Hors ligne timelord

• Caporal
« Réponse #16 le: 29 juin 2011, 02:26:42 am »
HI
I know what you mean, playing last week and ordered my artillery to set up between to divisions, did they do this no! off they went on their own and got wiped out.
Even when I gave them repeated orders to move back, nothing, all they did was limber up and then rides round in the same spot and then start to set up their guns again 

Artillery would normally set up just  in front of your division ,so if the guns where charge the gunners would try to get to the infantry squires , a good artillery officer would know how long it would tack to pull back  to save his guns and not let them get over run.

I was playing the allies in this game and even the infantry Division end up marching off ,even when you have given them an order to hold their ground , it is near imposable to form a battle line ,as they just seem to do what they like .
It gets very annoying with this happening.

Also orders in the game; I had Napoleon standing in-between two corps , the corps where no more than 100 meters apart form each other , I was keeping them in reserve ,for the right moment to send them in .

I gave the order to attack to both corps , it still took me sending repeated orders to get them moving , one of the corps took over an hour to start it attack!.
And when they did go in the corps just split up and attacked peace mill, I even found some of the corps units marching away from their corps!

The other thing that bugs me with this game is the way the cavalry go charging off, even when you give them support infantry cops orders that have not even come within engagement range.
I have wanted years for this game but it feels like you are fighting just to keep things going, without even try to fight the enemy!

I have spent 30 years playing and studying the napoleons wars and this game could have been the greatest game ever ,but it just keeps falling apart in so many areas , it has now come to the point where it a grind just to play a battle.
Sorry if this comes across as a rant, but paying so much money for a game that has a lot of bugs in it, and boy am I getting feed up having to install patches just to get it to work as it should. :(
Darren

Hors ligne Marquês de Alorna

• Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #17 le: 29 juin 2011, 11:41:13 am »
My experience is that the order take time to have an effect (depends on distance), but eventually they will succeed. As already pointed out, it takes some time for your last order to appear on the map after being issued, and it also takes time to receive a confirmation. Usually the corps take time concentrating before marching. Some other times the corps commander feels that he has to disobey the order because of the situation or troops' morale/fatigue. So far I am very satisfied with the orders modeling.

I just think that there should be a "deploy immediately order" (could be an option of the deploy order) for the corps to start marching immediately to the final position, even before concentration, just like the units do in the "defend in line" order. This would be great to rapidly occupy terrain, specially if there are no enemies there or the enemy force is too weak.

Regarding the artillery deployment, so far I am very happy. I have experienced several times that the artillery commander orders the batteries to "recoil" if there is imminent danger. I usually loose pieces only if e.g. an artillery corps (a grand battery) deploys without support.

Maybe you should post the snapshots of the situations that you have described.

Hors ligne Alfiere

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #18 le: 29 juin 2011, 12:32:12 pm »
Thank MDA for explanation Art for recoil with imminent danger,I until now do not have understand well what was.

Yes some little bugs there are still ,but until are killed off , i consider them accidental events in the battle.
I like play with a opponent and the bugs there for me how for him.
During a battle never is sure and is always a difficult unsterstand well the the way to win a battle.
I am playing two PBEM battles, the first that i considered safest is which I am suffering the greatest losses and the other that i considered more difficult is the best for me.
I like this uncertainty for to planning a battle in the simplest way is possible.
If everything is easy to predict? where's the fun?
« Modifié: 29 juin 2011, 14:35:07 pm par Alfiere »
Danube camp - 3rd Coaltion camp

Hors ligne Formaldehyde

• Capitaine
« Réponse #19 le: 10 juillet 2011, 19:48:14 pm »
This area of the game is one that I agree could use further refinement. 

The existing order set is general enough for some attacks, but doing things like ordering an attack without a lengthy artillery bombardment becomes extremely tricky.  The idea seems to be that the C-in-C issues general orders without regards to details, but this is not always (or often) the case. 

This reliance on the AI to carry out general plans also keeps the game largely one where artillery and cavalry see combat, and infantry seem relegated somewhat to the sidelines in most engagements that I've played.  I've stopped playing much due to this, but I see some activity is still taking place by JMM, so I'm hopeful that the game continues to evolve.  I'll be sure to keep checking back periodically on it, as it's interesting.

Hors ligne Marquês de Alorna

• Chef de Bataillon
Re : Re : Attacking?
« Réponse #20 le: 11 juillet 2011, 16:47:54 pm »
This reliance on the AI to carry out general plans also keeps the game largely one where artillery and cavalry see combat, and infantry seem relegated somewhat to the sidelines in most engagements that I've played.  I've stopped playing much due to this, but I see some activity is still taking place by JMM, so I'm hopeful that the game continues to evolve.  I'll be sure to keep checking back periodically on it, as it's interesting.
Well, I always rely a lot on infantry...