Auteur Sujet: Correction to elevations on Waterloo map and troop deployment  (Lu 8877 fois)

Hors ligne nix

• Officier d'HistWar
  • Chef de Bataillon
The 10 Km Waterloo map which came with the Belgium 1815 campaign mod has incorrect elevation data.

For the correction and the location of troops on the new map see:

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2649742/waterloosat-zip-march-8-2011-9-50-am-5-7-meg?da=y

It is easy to make errors in handling the satellite data so it helps if the resulting elevations can be checked by comparing to a contour map of part of the area or to a historic map which may show the topography…

NB One possible source of error is the orientation of the area defined for the HistWar map when placing the corner ‘marker pins ‘ on Google Earth. (see Bucepos ver 3 method).

The rectangular area so defined must be accurately oriented North-South and East-West.

To check this, just record the longitude and latitude of all four corners of your histwar area. The top two should have the same latitude (to within 3 decimal places), top left longitude should be the same as bottom left etc.

Also you can display all longitude and latitudes as decimal degrees in Google Earth (go to Tools>Options>3DView  and select decimal degrees). This saves yourself the trouble of having to convert deg min sec to decimal as in the Brucepos instructions!

Hors ligne Alfiere

• Général de Brigade
Re : Correction to elevations on Waterloo map and troop deployment
« Réponse #1 le: 08 mars 2011, 12:19:28 pm »
We had already discuss here:
http://www.histwar.org/forum/index.php/topic,5604.240.html

Do you refer Waterloo standard MOD or new scenario about Waterloo on Histwar depot made by Jacquinot and me?

« Modifié: 08 mars 2011, 12:22:20 pm par Alfiere »
Danube camp - 3rd Coaltion camp

Hors ligne nix

• Officier d'HistWar
  • Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #2 le: 08 mars 2011, 13:09:38 pm »
Sorry I had missed the discussion...I have just started using the satellite data to get elevations (wertingen and Ocana in depot) and when I was playing the original waterloo mod i thought something was wrong so analysed the satelite data again. Hence my report...

Looking at your elevation map it is clear it is the same as mine in detail (though using a slightly different origin for the map area) . The pictures in my word doc in the download link in my first posting show the superimposed maps from Adkin's waterloo companion which locate the ridges and troop dispositions roads etc  and definitively show our elevations are correct...

However adding bits in by hand for the third ridge ...Hmm im a bit dubious about doing that without evidence for the ridges being larger at the time of the battle! But the method is interesting as it would enable a historical contour map to be used as source for elevations which would overcome the problem of any changes in the landscape since the battles. But digitising the data by hand even for a small matrix of 76x101 data points sounds like a heroic task!

Hors ligne Alfiere

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #3 le: 08 mars 2011, 13:24:55 pm »
But digitising the data by hand even for a small matrix of 76x101 data points sounds like a heroic task!
With some attempts,it is not so difficult,need some patience.
Well nix,a new expert of satellite map.
Danube camp - 3rd Coaltion camp

Hors ligne nix

• Officier d'HistWar
  • Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #4 le: 08 mars 2011, 13:36:23 pm »
I was just looking at your elevation picture HistWar000_(2) on the other thread which you drew my attention to and i notice some interesting differences in the detail of the ridges depicted there compared to my map. If you look at mine in the area of La haye saint and the famous ridges the disputed location of the grand battery seems to be slightly more well defined. This I suspect may be entirely fortuitous in that if a different origin for the map is choosen then the smoothing caused by the resampling of the data to fit the 76X101 datapoints  can lead to such differences and by luck they may reveal a detail which gets smoothed out a bit by choice of a different origin! (the classic problem of digital sampling of an analog signal!)