Auteur Sujet: marching speed in wooded areas and marches  (Lu 6292 fois)

Hors ligne oho

• Chef de Bataillon
marching speed in wooded areas and marches
« le: 02 février 2011, 13:16:52 pm »
I think there is no decrease of speed in the light woods and the marches (marais en francais) for different unit-types.
So even an artillery battery is as fast on these grounds as in the open ground - right?. This doesn't seem correct.
Can you somehow slow down at least arti and cav in these terains, maybe also when climbing a hill? 
The Corps AI maybe has to be corrected too later, because through a big wooded area the infantry is without artillery when coming out of the woods. Human players may take that into account and avoid woods then when giving corps orders. When giving the order to march through these areas the arti and cav arrive later than the Inf.
The grand tactical AI should then avoid those areas too in certain circumstance -> that is the bigger problem I see. Perhaps you can make a simple calculation of the number of meters in these areas when calculating a path for a corps. If it is too much, then the path is left or right of the woods.

Hors ligne Jacquinot

• Colonel
  • Victory or death!
Re : marching speed in wooded areas and marches
« Réponse #1 le: 02 février 2011, 14:46:12 pm »
I think there is no decrease of speed in the light woods and the marches (marais en francais) for different unit-types.
So even an artillery battery is as fast on these grounds as in the open ground - right?. This doesn't seem correct.
Can you somehow slow down at least arti and cav in these terains, maybe also when climbing a hill?  
The Corps AI maybe has to be corrected too later, because through a big wooded area the infantry is without artillery when coming out of the woods. Human players may take that into account and avoid woods then when giving corps orders. When giving the order to march through these areas the arti and cav arrive later than the Inf.
The grand tactical AI should then avoid those areas too in certain circumstance -> that is the bigger problem I see. Perhaps you can make a simple calculation of the number of meters in these areas when calculating a path for a corps. If it is too much, then the path is left or right of the woods.

And more i think in woods must be only skrimish formation!
Glinka F.N. The memoirs of  Borodino battle. - "...screams of commanders and howls of despair on ten different languages was drowned by cannonade and drumbeat..."

Hors ligne Montecuccoli

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateur
  • Colonel
« Réponse #2 le: 05 février 2011, 09:32:01 am »
It is strange, i remember testing it many times in beta and noted that units move slower in woods, rain and snow.

Try this, take a unit and give a command in open field watching the clock on the low left side; then try on wooded areas
Histwar beta tester

Hors ligne oho

• Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #3 le: 05 février 2011, 16:13:53 pm »
I tried a little "race" between 2 Infantry units one only marching in woods, one only maching in the open field, they both had the same speed and arrived after the same distance in the same time. The same with 2 artillery units. So there is no difference. Is this a bug, can you tell JMM as you are a beta-tester I think?

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
« Réponse #4 le: 07 février 2011, 19:36:09 pm »
I have to check the game but the speeds are theoretically  really different:
marsh : 50%
low density forest : 90%
vineyard : 60%
plantation : 80% (spring) otherwise 100%

Snow,Rain: the speed is modulated after passing on each "mesh" of the terrain.
First pass : 100% but slowly decreases to 75% after several movement on the "mesh"

Is the units in a Corps? In this case, the speed is one of the slower unit.

I am going to check that before building the next 02g (RC2)

Is it clear?  :p

JMM

Hors ligne Jacquinot

• Colonel
  • Victory or death!
Re : Re : marching speed in wooded areas and marches
« Réponse #5 le: 07 février 2011, 19:48:51 pm »
I have to check the game but the speeds are theoretically  really different:
marsh : 50%
low density forest : 90%
vineyard : 60%
plantation : 80% (spring) otherwise 100%

Snow,Rain: the speed is modulated after passing on each "mesh" of the terrain.
First pass : 100% but slowly decreases to 75% after several movement on the "mesh"

Is the units in a Corps? In this case, the speed is one of the slower unit.

I am going to check that before building the next 02g (RC2)

Is it clear?  :p

JMM

Oui mon general its clear! :D
But what about only skrimish formation in woods and no artillery?
« Modifié: 07 février 2011, 19:50:47 pm par Jacquinot »
Glinka F.N. The memoirs of  Borodino battle. - "...screams of commanders and howls of despair on ten different languages was drowned by cannonade and drumbeat..."

Hors ligne oho

• Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #6 le: 07 février 2011, 22:51:11 pm »
Hi JMM,
Thanks for your answer.
Maybe 90% in the woods is the actual speed. I can't messure it exactly. I would have thought, that
it's slower in the woods than 90% and also no artillery or at least much slower than infantry. Can I maybe modify it in some file.
Should there be a speed difference between artillery and infantry in woods and or in the open?
What does this mean:
"Is the units in a Corps? In this case, the speed is one of the slower unit."
Does this mean that if the Artillery is in the corps and moving in the wood, all other units (for example inf in the open) move the same speed as Artillery in the woods? And what percent is it supposed to be?

Hors ligne oho

• Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #7 le: 08 février 2011, 18:44:08 pm »
Hi JMM,
the speed in the woods is 90% of the speed in the open.
I think it is too fast.
And: The artillery is much faster than infantry, so that artillery in the woods is faster than infantry in the open. This doesn't seem correct.
Please think about a modification.

Hors ligne Jacquinot

• Colonel
  • Victory or death!
Re : Re : marching speed in wooded areas and marches
« Réponse #8 le: 08 février 2011, 19:53:35 pm »
Hi JMM,
the speed in the woods is 90% of the speed in the open.
I think it is too fast.
And: The artillery is much faster than infantry, so that artillery in the woods is faster than infantry in the open. This doesn't seem correct.
Please think about a modification.

I think how artillery at all can move in woods :?:
« Modifié: 08 février 2011, 19:56:16 pm par Jacquinot »

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
« Réponse #9 le: 08 février 2011, 22:08:54 pm »
There are two kinds of forest...
a) high density where no unit may move across the area
b) low density where there isn't any problem for units movement.

Speed...
The different speeds are in a French Study : Des Marches dans les Armées de Napoléon*, Lieutenant C.P. Escalle (1912)

This study talks about the French Army organization. Escalle has studied a lot of documents on the napoleonic era: Alombert et Colin, Berthier, Davout, Fabry, Foucart,... So, I think it's not a bad idea to use these parameters for HW. For other countries, because I don't find any precise informations, I adjusted the values from the French ones.

What does this mean:
"Is the units in a Corps? In this case, the speed is one of the slower unit."

OK  ;)
With the orders deploy and diversion, all units must move at the same speed.
So, the AI uses the lower speed of units in order to avoid units don't follow the movement.

Clear?

JMM
* March in the Napoleon Army.

Hors ligne oho

• Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #10 le: 08 février 2011, 22:46:55 pm »
clear

Hors ligne Soldat Louis

• Major
« Réponse #11 le: 08 février 2011, 23:43:50 pm »
Clear,
So the low density woods only break the troops cohesion and prevent cavalry to charge from far. Correct?