Auteur Sujet: AI regimental  (Lu 10401 fois)

Hors ligne Jacquinot

• Colonel
  • Victory or death!
Re : Re : Re : Re : Re : Re : Re : Re : AI regimental
« Réponse #15 le: 02 février 2011, 20:26:44 pm »
It was really not the question. Focusing on a detail to avoid the real debat is so easy. So read Ardant du Picq book and then come back and have a serious argued discussion about moral.
There are hundreds examples in war history where very high moral level regiments were defeated or fled.

Of course high moral level regiments can be defeated, but i dont understand how game can right calculate this level.
And i dont understand why detachet regiments always have low moral level, i want charge buttom to be independet from this level.
« Modifié: 02 février 2011, 20:28:46 pm par Jacquinot »
Glinka F.N. The memoirs of  Borodino battle. - "...screams of commanders and howls of despair on ten different languages was drowned by cannonade and drumbeat..."

Hors ligne Soldat Louis

• Major
Re : AI regimental
« Réponse #16 le: 02 février 2011, 22:50:44 pm »
For me, the more I play, the more I trust the corps AI. So I only detach units when I want them to move faster ahead: ie light inf to occupy buildings before the ennemy. In theses conditions I guess it is understandable that the moral of isolated units (even elites) should be weaker until they get support from their comrades.

Having say that, it could be worth considering the idea of having a "charge" order for corps and units.

BUT with the following restrictions in order to avoid an excessive and non-historical use of this order.
1) Low moral units or corps will still always refuse to charge
2) This order should be used only once in a battle for corps and  for 2 choosen units.
3 ) "charge" order should correspond to a "point of no return"  meaning that if the  ennemy line is not broken after a while, the charge will turn into a dramatic drop in unit moral (and a possible runaway).

In these conditions one will think twice before to use the "charge" order, but it could be very rewarding to have taken the risk at the right moment in the battle. Having this option will help us to mimics historical "special" orders such as : "take (or hold) this position at any price" or or as at Eylau the order to the cavalry to charge the Russian columns.

As a matter of fact, one of the very few things that I still find frustrating in the game id to see a deploying  corps stoping its progression for artillery preparation while a gap opens in the enemy line or when the enemy units are weak enough to be pushed back faster without artillery support. With a charge order the AI should let the guns following behind and should increase the cohesion of the corps units. I think this order will also be very suitable for heavy cavalry corps on special occasions.

What do you think : enough historical or not ?

Hors ligne Broadsword

• Capitaine
« Réponse #17 le: 03 février 2011, 18:47:57 pm »
I agree that these charges should happen, but I disagree about the recommended solution (a charge button). These opportunistic charges are a job for the unit AI, and should happen automatically, subject to the leader's initiative ability.

Hors ligne Jacquinot

• Colonel
  • Victory or death!
Re : Re : AI regimental
« Réponse #18 le: 03 février 2011, 19:07:38 pm »
For me, the more I play, the more I trust the corps AI. So I only detach units when I want them to move faster ahead: ie light inf to occupy buildings before the ennemy. In theses conditions I guess it is understandable that the moral of isolated units (even elites) should be weaker until they get support from their comrades.

Yea, real problem for detached units its low moral level, and its very hard to play historical battles when many units detached. I think division AI is necessary.
Glinka F.N. The memoirs of  Borodino battle. - "...screams of commanders and howls of despair on ten different languages was drowned by cannonade and drumbeat..."

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #19 le: 19 février 2011, 16:15:10 pm »
It might be useful to think of it as, any time you give a corps a deploy order, every unit in the front line of the corps has a continuously pressed "charge" button, and will charge as soon as conditions permit.  A separate manual charge button wouldn't do any more than the game is doing now.

I figure if I want to give charge orders at any time and have them always carried out, I'll go play Austerlitz: Napoleon's Greatest Victory.  One thing I learned from that game is that getting too aggressive and giving too many charge orders will lose you the battle very quickly.

Hook