Auteur Sujet: Support of Artillery  (Lu 3081 fois)

Hors ligne gforster

• Caporal
Support of Artillery
« le: 21 janvier 2011, 01:15:43 am »
I understand the mechanics of "detach unit" then "support unit". The unit moves up near the supported artillery, but when the enemy approaches and attacks, the support unit does nothing and the "supported" unit is wiped out. What am I doing wrong?

Hors ligne Franciscus

• Colonel
Re : Support of Artillery
« Réponse #1 le: 21 janvier 2011, 01:45:36 am »
Unfortunately, IIRC, "support" does not work like we are used to understand it.

When you order a unit, or for that matter a corps to "support" another unit or corps, in fact they are going to act as a "backup", meaning they will try to carry the primary unit's order's if that unit is unable to do it. So, if you order a inf unit to "support" an arty unit in fact what they will do is, for example, carry an attack that the arty was doing, if the arty is forced to retreat or is wiped out. Not very logical, IMHO... :roll:

In fact, the real "support" (ie, defense of arty units by inf or cav units) is carried out by the AI or by micro-management. It helps to station units near by the arty, maybe the posture of the units also has some influence ( I am waiting for a more detailed explanation of what the combination of defensive posture and high initiative can really do for arty), maybe the corps commander attributes, can also help. But many times you have to micro-manage, which is a bit unfortunate (although the foot arty AI is much better now in defending itself than it used to)

I do not know if JMM is planning on improving this part of the orders or not.

Regards
« Modifié: 21 janvier 2011, 01:47:17 am par Franciscus »

Hors ligne gforster

• Caporal
« Réponse #2 le: 21 janvier 2011, 02:06:23 am »
Thankyou very much. You have explained alot , because in addition to my "supporting" units not defending the "supported" unit, I notice , many times, the unit " supporting" artillery goes into "attack" mode... now I understand why.

Hors ligne Franciscus

• Colonel
« Réponse #3 le: 22 janvier 2011, 16:15:28 pm »
Apparently JMM has solved this "idiosyncrasy":

(...)
Any unit in support ensures the security of the supported unit. There was some malfunction but it now seems to work well. So, the support must act immediately if there is a lateral threat on the supported unit.

JMM

I will try to use again the support command to see if it works as JMM states.

Best regards

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
« Réponse #4 le: 22 janvier 2011, 16:30:51 pm »
Hummm.. Don't worry.. I am checking again this function support.
If there is some trouble, it'll will be fixed in the next patch 02g

JMM

Hors ligne Alfiere

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #5 le: 22 janvier 2011, 16:37:42 pm »
What is the main argument of the next patch 2g ?
Thank for reply.
Danube camp - 3rd Coaltion camp