Auteur Sujet: LOP Problem?  (Lu 4357 fois)

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
LOP Problem?
« le: 05 mars 2011, 13:44:12 pm »
In our MP battles, Gunner and I noticed that somehow the loss of an LOP now has very little if ANY effect on the Moral of units. This has been reported to JMM and is classified as "In Progress". I believe this isn't a big problem in "Solo" mode as Grand Tactical AI routs the Army Corps, however in MP this doesn't seem to happen.

It is a very important problem. Many Commanders including Napoleon, placed cutting of an enemies LOP's as their highest priority, because the enemy had very little option other than to retreat or stand and fight with a much reduced Moral.

The loss of a single LOP used to and should have an effect on the "Moral" of the Army, the loss of both LOP's should and did have a devastating effect on an Army.

In the original version of HLG, the loss of an LOP had too much effect, it seems as though the pendulum has swung to far the other way :?

Hors ligne Broadsword

• Capitaine
Re : LOP Problem?
« Réponse #1 le: 05 mars 2011, 16:36:05 pm »
In our MP battles, Gunner and I noticed that somehow the loss of an LOP now has very little if ANY effect on the Moral of units.

I agree that it should have a big effect. But here's a question: Is it truly realistic to model an instant collapse of morale across an entire army whose LOP has just been cut? After all, there was no radio, a massive FOW, and troops at the far end of the battlefield would have no way of knowing the LOP has been lost unless they could see enemy troops across their line of retreat.

Ideally, any unit with line-of-sight to the lost LOP should be immediately affected. But perhaps the effect should spread across the rest of an army more gradually -- simulating the effect of a rumor -- "La Garde recule! Sauve qui peut!" -- as it travels, spreading fear and confusion through the ranks.

Hors ligne Jacquinot

• Colonel
  • Victory or death!
Re : Re : LOP Problem?
« Réponse #2 le: 05 mars 2011, 17:19:17 pm »
I agree that it should have a big effect. But here's a question: Is it truly realistic to model an instant collapse of morale across an entire army whose LOP has just been cut? After all, there was no radio, a massive FOW, and troops at the far end of the battlefield would have no way of knowing the LOP has been lost unless they could see enemy troops across their line of retreat.

Ideally, any unit with line-of-sight to the lost LOP should be immediately affected. But perhaps the effect should spread across the rest of an army more gradually -- simulating the effect of a rumor -- "La Garde recule! Sauve qui peut!" -- as it travels, spreading fear and confusion through the ranks.

«La Garde recule! Nous sommes trahis! Sauve qui peut!»
Glinka F.N. The memoirs of  Borodino battle. - "...screams of commanders and howls of despair on ten different languages was drowned by cannonade and drumbeat..."

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
Re : LOP Problem?
« Réponse #3 le: 05 mars 2011, 18:12:41 pm »

That seems quite realistic but I would make it any Corp Commander who has line of sight, that would effect his whole Corp, if it was the CinC then it may be more drastic.  However it should roll over the entire Army given time. You nailed it "Rumor" travels quickly through Armies

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
Re : Re : LOP Problem?
« Réponse #4 le: 05 mars 2011, 19:25:27 pm »
You nailed it "Rumor" travels quickly through Armies

It's the main idea... in fact, the best was to develop a procedure to avoid an instantaneous knowledge of this kind of event! but it wasn't very easy to build that unless to develop a very simple model.
That said, one or ten minutes don't modify a lot the gameplay (and without code, no bug  ;)

I don't remember I have modify the procedure about the lOPs but no sure! After the package 03a (RC1), I'll fix the different problems of the last version...

JMM