Auteur Sujet: Looking for a battle  (Lu 19332 fois)

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
Re : Looking for a battle
« Réponse #15 le: 18 novembre 2010, 14:33:49 pm »
I'm in xfire now, but if you send me a PM, with a day or two notice, for anytime after say 4pm I will do my best to be there.

Hors ligne Iron Warrior

• Adjudant
Re : Re : Looking for a battle
« Réponse #16 le: 18 novembre 2010, 17:28:25 pm »
I'm in xfire now, but if you send me a PM, with a day or two notice, for anytime after say 4pm I will do my best to be there.

Ah must have just missed you. I'm not normally up at this time, but this cold has me up. Usually after around 2-4 pm is also good for me... but that's PST (GMT-8).  :?

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #17 le: 18 novembre 2010, 23:36:08 pm »
Usually after around 2-4 pm is also good for me... but that's PST (GMT-8).

So that would be 10pm-midnight for me.....I could do a 10pm game with a few days notice, PM me here or over at NBC and let me know which day would be best, maybe Mon or Tue next week ?.

Hors ligne Iron Warrior

• Adjudant
« Réponse #18 le: 19 novembre 2010, 07:39:49 am »

So that would be 10pm-midnight for me.....I could do a 10pm game with a few days notice, PM me here or over at NBC and let me know which day would be best, maybe Mon or Tue next week ?.

Hopefully we can get something going. I hate to commit to a certain day and time as my sleep schedule is so screwy I never know if I can actually make it. Besides, that's why I stay logged in to xfire...  :smile:

The best way to keep one's word is not to give it.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Hors ligne Cavalier

• Capitaine
« Réponse #19 le: 19 novembre 2010, 07:54:41 am »
Cavalier what I have been trying to say mate is that we are Australian Based Wargame Group
We are based in Brissy
we game every weekend

Go to www.thegeneralshq.org
Then go to forums http://www.thegeneralshq.org/phpBBForum/

I understand but being on xfire does not preclude me from being part of online wargaming groups and xfire is essentially non-club specific. It takes time and effort to join groups and then keep track of them. I am already a member of a few for different games and just have not gotten around to joining yours. I will do so and probably this weekend.

I still believe one of our biggest problems is we are fragmented over too many different online wargame groups. Each group is often focused on multiple games and therefore the focus on Les Grognards could be minor.

Personally I would love one international group focused purely on Les Grognards as I think this would work best for us all.

cheers
Cav

Hors ligne Cavalier

• Capitaine
« Réponse #20 le: 19 novembre 2010, 07:57:44 am »
In all honesty I find email the best way to set up most games. Find a like minded person who plays around your time and set up a game using email. Then use xfire (or teamspeak or steam or ...) to communicate to actually set up the game and chat. I find you normally need something other than the Les Grog message system to get things going.

Hors ligne gazfun

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateur
  • Colonel
  • Avartar
    • The Generals HQ
Re : Re : Re : Looking for a battle
« Réponse #21 le: 19 novembre 2010, 08:14:51 am »
I understand but being on xfire does not preclude me from being part of online wargaming groups and xfire is essentially non-club specific. It takes time and effort to join groups and then keep track of them. I am already a member of a few for different games and just have not gotten around to joining yours. I will do so and probably this weekend.

I still believe one of our biggest problems is we are fragmented over too many different online wargame groups. Each group is often focused on multiple games and therefore the focus on Les Grognards could be minor.

Personally I would love one international group focused purely on Les Grognards as I think this would work best for us all.

cheers
Cav
The problems are the time zones, especially trying to get games other than outside our timezone, it harder to get a comfortable hour to do this everytime. That the issue I have had over the many years. Just gaming localy makes it a lot easier still, TCP IP games are finished in about 2 hours.
Idealism is fine, pragmatism is a bit more the reality
« Modifié: 19 novembre 2010, 08:36:20 am par gazfun »
Write your own History!

Online most times @Skype "The Generals HQ or gazfun. Friday 1900hrs +10 GMT join us if you can!
http://www.thegeneralshq.org
http://www.histwar.org/forum/index.php/board,118.0.html
Histwar Les Grognards beta tester

Hors ligne Cavalier

• Capitaine
« Réponse #22 le: 19 novembre 2010, 09:42:14 am »
I agree with the timezone thing. You will always do better finding local opponents because they are likely to be sitting at the PC killing time when you are. The real question is how to set up games. To me this is a multi-pronged approach. I have a couple of mates I play with who I organise stuff using steam and the phone. I have organised games with NapLrd, Pitchfork and HarryInk using xFire. I have organised games with AJ and Gunner24 using email and their clubs website. I will join your group and find more opponents.

The problem for me is that there are too many places I need to go to coordinate with my friends/allies/opponents. I play two MMOs (including WWIIOL) and hence I have a clan and seperate game forums for each. Now I am joining multiple clans for Wistwar so I am adding the Histwar forums and multiple clan forums. Like most of us I am busy (work, wife, young child, etc) and now I have too many forums to try and keep up with remain informed.

That is why email and xfire are my present preferred options.

Xfire is NOT clan/club specific. It is Les grognards specific.

Hors ligne gazfun

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateur
  • Colonel
  • Avartar
    • The Generals HQ
« Réponse #23 le: 19 novembre 2010, 13:08:05 pm »
I could agree more that at the moment there is a lot of choices, but in the long run we will still be here.

We have been a major source in the community for EiA for 4 years now, and we have more games going than we ever had before.

So I guess will happen with HWLG
Thanks
Gazfun
Write your own History!

Online most times @Skype "The Generals HQ or gazfun. Friday 1900hrs +10 GMT join us if you can!

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #24 le: 19 novembre 2010, 23:07:40 pm »
For what it's worth here's what I think, there are several places to get involved with HWLG in MP and/or PBEM format, if I were not already a member of a grounp I would check them all out and find the one that suited me best, for whatever reason, then concentrate on that one.....trying to spread your time over many different groups and forums is not easy if you have a limited anount of time.

I'm able to play HWLG at many different times of the day and night, which fit in with different time zones, but I mainly play with NBC members becasue they do go to the trouble of arranging games.  

Sitting anywhere (steam/xfire/teamspeak/forum/IM) waiting for a game is not a good use of time, with a day or so notice a game can be set up in a few minutes, if people have a few minutes to ping off a PM or a e-mail.

I have a game arranged for 8pm tomorrow, and another for 1pm on Tuesday, they were easy to arrange, setting up MP games is not hard to do, a couple of e-mails or PMs on the forum, or even a post on the forum is all it takes - IF people are interested.
« Modifié: 19 novembre 2010, 23:16:14 pm par Gunner24 »

Hors ligne gazfun

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateur
  • Colonel
  • Avartar
    • The Generals HQ
« Réponse #25 le: 19 novembre 2010, 23:53:34 pm »
I agree with the timezone thing. You will always do better finding local opponents because they are likely to be sitting at the PC killing time when you are. The real question is how to set up games. To me this is a multi-pronged approach. I have a couple of mates I play with who I organise stuff using steam and the phone. I have organised games with NapLrd, Pitchfork and HarryInk using xFire. I have organised games with AJ and Gunner24 using email and their clubs website. I will join your group and find more opponents.

The problem for me is that there are too many places I need to go to coordinate with my friends/allies/opponents. I play two MMOs (including WWIIOL) and hence I have a clan and seperate game forums for each. Now I am joining multiple clans for Wistwar so I am adding the Histwar forums and multiple clan forums. Like most of us I am busy (work, wife, young child, etc) and now I have too many forums to try and keep up with remain informed.
That is why email and xfire are my present preferred options.

Xfire is NOT clan/club specific. It is Les grognards specific.

We will be online in the xfire "TGHQ lobby" at Sunday 21st 7pm Australian time, if your doing nothing its up to you!

But whoever you spend your time with, its  easier to have good and quick communication with them, because the more convenient, it is,  better the gaming time that you have can be more effective. btw  no one comes along with the formula for your gaming experience, you have to make it for yourself, and that can only be done by effective communication with whoever, you spend your time.  So its all a matter of how easily you can communicate that is how you will get what you are after.

We at TGHQ have had communication with other groups, and able to set up time etc to organise games, but unfortunalty because of our geographical position in the world, the hours are more odd than not for actual gaming time, which a lot in the other hemisphere never seem to really grasp.  Its a lot less convienant for us in the main, I have been playing video games for many years, and have had first hand experience at this.

Hope you have a good gaming experience in the long term Cavalier, bye for now!
« Modifié: 20 novembre 2010, 00:37:37 am par gazfun »
Write your own History!

Hors ligne Cavalier

• Capitaine
« Réponse #26 le: 20 novembre 2010, 05:10:33 am »
I agree that sitting in a lobby (xfire, steam, etc) is not the best way to get a game going. It is good for the occassional game and I have found a few opponents that way. The best way is to set up a game in advance and I tend to think that email works best for this. Where the lobby is valuable is the meeting place that provides voice and text chat to get the game going and support social banter during the game.

Forums and clubs are a great place to meet people and can be very useful for setting up games with people from within that group and that is the main limitation with online clubs. They only allow you to work with people in that club. You still need email to set stuff up with people outside the club.

Clubs, forums, email and lobby's all have their use and place.

Hors ligne Iron Warrior

• Adjudant
« Réponse #27 le: 20 novembre 2010, 08:09:49 am »
I have been running xfire in the background while I do other things, so it's not like I sit around twiddling thumbs.  :smile: Of course, it would work a lot better if more people actually used it. I did hook up with Cavalier on it, so it was indeed useful.

Ironically, I seem to have good compatability with NZ/Australian timezones so I guess I'm not a big fan of splitting up an already niche community in different factions. Just my opinion of course.

Anyways more games, less technicalities and formalities!  :lol:

If anyone else is interested in playing some mp, you can always pm me if you don't have xfire.

Hors ligne gazfun

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateur
  • Colonel
  • Avartar
    • The Generals HQ
« Réponse #28 le: 20 novembre 2010, 08:23:18 am »
I have been running xfire in the background while I do other things, so it's not like I sit around twiddling thumbs.  :smile: Of course, it would work a lot better if more people actually used it. I did hook up with Cavalier on it, so it was indeed useful.

Ironically, I seem to have good compatability with NZ/Australian timezones so I guess I'm not a big fan of splitting up an already niche community in different factions. Just my opinion of course.

Anyways more games, less technicalities and formalities!  :lol:

If anyone else is interested in playing some mp, you can always pm me if you don't have xfire.
Im inclined top agree. And thanks for chatting the other night.
We will be online our 7am 21st  Sunday if you are keen, we can send you OOB and maps once we can connect
Write your own History!

Hors ligne Iron Warrior

• Adjudant
Re : Re : Re : Looking for a battle
« Réponse #29 le: 20 novembre 2010, 08:42:25 am »
Im inclined top agree. And thanks for chatting the other night.
We will be online our 7am 21st  Sunday if you are keen, we can send you OOB and maps once we can connect

Thanks for the invitation, if it was 7pm Australian time I would definately be able to make that (I'm a night owl). 7am I think is around 1pm my time so is more of a toss up. I also have 3 little ones to chase around during the day.  :lol: