Auteur Sujet: Occupying Buildings / Town Fighting  (Lu 11855 fois)

Hors ligne james l henry

• Caporal
Occupying Buildings / Town Fighting
« le: 01 octobre 2003, 18:07:26 pm »
Greetings

I am wondering if your system will depict soldiers occupying buildings (and getting a defensive bonus) plus will there be fighting in towns (and how will this be shown?)

This can play a big part in some of the Battles ;ike Aspern/essling, Waterloo
The answer to 1984 is 1776

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
« Réponse #1 le: 01 octobre 2003, 19:38:05 pm »
Bonjour ,

I am trying to answer...

The new IA engine is more flexible than LGAA one, and uses a new system to find the objects around each regiment.. objects are units (friends or opponents) or building, forests,lakes....

For the LGAA release, I use this new engine, but I don't modify the graphical management system of the defensive line.. a town, a village, a farm, a castle or a ford are a block with 2, 3 or 4 defensive zones.. and the compagnies (always 9 per bataillons.. no easy to manage different organisation.. maybe for the next version :wink: ) move to these zones... (like LGAA V1.xx)

I don't use the same system for Les Grognards. The objects Town, Village, .. define some streets and the compagnies can move along these paths, then they can deploy behind the walls, maybe in the house... (I have to do some tests to get a good graphical view)

To try to summarize, the first graphical engine managed 4 locations, and the others were computed from these 4 ones...
In the new engine, the graphical engine managed 9 * #bataillons (or escadron).. More flexible

I hope my answer is right.. and you can understand...
If not, I can try to do better 8)

It's clear this project is late.. Release 2.00 is late.. all is late :cry:

But I hope we make a good SW.. For example, we are creating a data base with around 850 units (French, Russian, Austrian, Wurtemberg, Sweden, .. around 20 countries).. a list of more 900 Chiefs (Marechal, General de Division ou de Brigade)... + Colonels

Soon some screenshots of this Editor of OoB...

JMM

Hors ligne Link

• Comte d'Hanau
  • Major
« Réponse #2 le: 02 octobre 2003, 11:09:49 am »
Bonjour JMM

Personally I don't think you should upgrade LGAA after the 2.0 release. I rather see your time and efforts go to LGdN upgrades and the new games instead.  :wink:

How will walls and houses be affected by cannon balls?
Will defending soldiers get their morale lowered as the walls breaks?
And will the walls/buildings get damaged visually too?

How about fighting in general? Are fighting animated?

P.S. Don't be so hard on your self about the delays. I have never heard of a game developer that released something on time before.  8)

/Lars L.
Lars L.

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
« Réponse #3 le: 02 octobre 2003, 12:51:42 pm »
Citation de: "Link"
Bonjour JMM

Personally I don't think you should upgrade LGAA after the 2.0 release. I rather see your time and efforts go to LGdN upgrades and the new games instead.  :wink:

LGAA V2.00 will be the last release!

How will walls and houses be affected by cannon balls?Will defending soldiers get their morale lowered as the walls breaks?
And will the walls/buildings get damaged visually too?
How about fighting in general? Are fighting animated?

About fighting...
All vertical objects stop the trajectories of cannons balls.. The dammages are computed with the parameters:
a/ coefficient of defense.. ie, if the value is 3, the lost are divide by 3...
b/ the density.. for each organisation, we define a density.. light for line, important for column, variable for defensive line... (from 3 to 12)
c/ kind of cannon (12£, 8£, howitzer...)
no random process is used!

So, a cannon shots at a village:
defensive parameter : 3
density : 5
french cannon ball 12£ : 14
loss is: min (5,12) / 3 -> 5/3! Not 1  :lol: because all losses are added to get a final figure...

The howitzer doesn't use the min method! loss is 10 / 3 (the density isn't used)

The moral is modified by the losses, when the ART ou INF shots at the unit, behind the walls.. which sometimes are broken... :wink:

At the begining of the design, I have done a list with a lot of details.. but it's very difficult to manage because I had to find the good level of action for each! no sense! And I am no sure I can find a rule to modify the morale when the wall is broken 8)
Today yet, there are a lot of parameters.. Maybe I'll list them in the HistWar's manual user.. (maybe :lol:)

Yes, for the objects: fire, smoke, broken wall, modification of textures... I hope we get a good result for this kind of wargame.

All soldiers are animated! We are working with a re-enactment unit, and I think we get a good animation for the Melee :P

/Lars L.

P.S. Don't be so hard on your self about the delays. I have never heard of a game developer that released something on time before.  8)

Yep :D but I must terminate Les Grognards ASAP :D

Edit : Please.. replace Terminate with Release

Hors ligne Link

• Comte d'Hanau
  • Major
« Réponse #4 le: 02 octobre 2003, 14:44:52 pm »
JMM wrote:
Yes, for the objects: fire, smoke, broken wall, modification of textures... I hope we get a good result for this kind of wargame.

All soldiers are animated! We are working with a re-enactment unit, and I think we get a good animation for the Melee  

Excellent! This is better than I dared to hope for.  :D
These kinds of things are what make the game fun to play.
Add to that a fabulous OoB editor and map editor, JMM's terrific sense of historical accuracy and last but not least the way he made it possible to alter the tactical doctrine is absolutely genius.  :!:

By the way JMM,  when you use the word "terminate" it really makes me shiver. English is not my mother tongue but I've been taught that "terminate" means that a project have been ended before it's finished and will not be released. However I have learned to understand that you really mean "finish" so I'm not really worried.  :wink:  

/Lars L.
Lars L.

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
« Réponse #5 le: 02 octobre 2003, 15:12:17 pm »
Citation de: "Link"
JMM wrote:

By the way JMM,  when you use the word "terminate" it really makes me shiver. English is not my mother tongue but I've been taught that "terminate" means that a project have been ended before it's finished and will not be released. However I have learned to understand that you really mean "finish" so I'm not really worried.  :wink:  

/Lars L.

:oops: ARGHHH! Yep I often make this mistake.. (and another ones too.. sorry)  Not easy to translate all these news and to avoid to spend a lot of time to do that.. Don't worry, and you can (must) correct my sentences without problem (but I am sure it's a huge job :D

JMM

Hors ligne Duke of Earl

• Duc d’Earl
  • Général de Brigade
  • Duc d'Friedland
Easy for me to translate..
« Réponse #6 le: 02 octobre 2003, 19:57:52 pm »
Bonjour,

Don't worry JMM.. I have been hearing you say 'terminate' for several years now.. at first I was confused too, but then I figured it out..., so, I know what you mean and corrections from me are not required.. I just use my "JMM Translator" device... hahahahahahaha

Cordialement, Duke of Earl

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
« Réponse #7 le: 02 octobre 2003, 22:03:50 pm »
My friends,

I can't terminate this project...
I must finish it.. and your support help myself to do that...

With Laurent, we begin to watch very nice things..
But it's no possible to share these pictures today.. but ASAP :wink:

JMM

Please, Duc D'Earl.. can you give your English-JMM dictionary 8)

Hors ligne Duke of Earl

• Duc d’Earl
  • Général de Brigade
  • Duc d'Friedland
Well, I would but
« Réponse #8 le: 02 octobre 2003, 22:47:24 pm »
Bonjour JMM,

Sorry, I wish that I could.. but, my 'JMM Translator' device is Top-Secret Ultra.. if I  let anyone even look at the keyboard of this little black box, then I would have to shoot them.. hahahahahahaha

Cordialement, Duke of Earl

Hors ligne Link

• Comte d'Hanau
  • Major
« Réponse #9 le: 03 octobre 2003, 09:49:17 am »
Bojour JMM,

JMM wrote:
With Laurent, we begin to watch very nice things..

Are you re-working the in-game graphics in LgdN?
In that case the cannons have not evolved anything since LGAA and I think they look very thin and light. It looks like the soldiers could take one under their arm and carry it them selves.  :)

The cannons would need the magic touch of Laurent to make the illusion that they weight more than a couple of pounds.  :wink:

Just my humble opinion.
/Lars L.
Lars L.

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
« Réponse #10 le: 03 octobre 2003, 11:26:23 am »
Bonjour,

Maybe have you seen the Art video.. You can see the new cannons. On the previous website, some Screenshots showed 3D cannons... Today, we have to do the new pages to show them...

Theses objects will be in the V2.00 release 8)
JMM

Hors ligne Link

• Comte d'Hanau
  • Major
« Réponse #11 le: 03 octobre 2003, 12:54:37 pm »
Bonjour JMM,

Yes, that looks much better, merci.  :)

Bye the way it's only the Artillery videos that works for me. The other ones I get this error message when I try to run them:
"Cannot play back the video stream: no suitable decompressor could be found."

/Lars L.
Lars L.

Hors ligne james l henry

• Caporal
Thanks
« Réponse #12 le: 03 octobre 2003, 18:32:59 pm »
JMM

Thanks for your answer. I think I understand (its the technical stuff I cant grasp). Good news. Pity about LGAA not having the same engine but maybe one day.

Nice to see some old acquantances like Duc d earl (how can anyone mistake that laugh :)

Link - Perhaps you are Lindkvist?? from Greatest Battles and BAG.
The answer to 1984 is 1776

Hors ligne Link

• Comte d'Hanau
  • Major
« Réponse #13 le: 03 octobre 2003, 19:04:50 pm »
Link - Perhaps you are Lindkvist?? from Greatest Battles and BAG.

You bet I am.  8)

Nice to see you around. The other day  even the good old  Ivanmoe showed up.  :)

/Lars L.
Lars L.

Hors ligne Rush

• Chevalier HistWar
  • Lieutenant
« Réponse #14 le: 03 octobre 2003, 20:43:46 pm »
Those screenshots look really tasty (nice)...I look forward to putting a few roundshot into them....... :lol:

S!
Rush
Rush – Baron de la Rothière

https://twitter.com/WW1IEPER1917