Auteur Sujet: Are infantry too passive?  (Lu 2972 fois)

Hors ligne Cavalier

• Capitaine
Are infantry too passive?
« le: 28 octobre 2010, 14:33:41 pm »
I have now played a number of MP and Player vs AI games and have noticed that when I order a Corps to attack the enemy (ie deploy in line to a position behind the enemy) that they tend to deploy to a range outside of infantry firing range and engage in an artillery duel with the enemy artillery. The artillery seem to fire at each other with the infantry standing around rarely engaged. Hence often the artillery suffer massive casualties whilst the infantry suffer light casualties because in reality they are not fighint aggressively.

Is this an issue with the AI, poor observation by myself that is not being seen by others or maybe because of the settings (initiative and behavior) that I have? I have noticed that in most scenarios the infantry have defensive behavior and low initiative set.
« Modifié: 28 octobre 2010, 14:40:31 pm par Cavalier »

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
Re : Are infantry too passive?
« Réponse #1 le: 28 octobre 2010, 15:17:55 pm »
Most MP players will have the doctrine set for artillery to be the first priorty target for their artillery to fire at, if not, and you make Infantry or Cavalry the first priorty target, then you will lose all your cannons to enemy artillery fire....then your would be in serious trouble with no artillery.  If there are no artillery to fire at, they will fire at the second priorty target, mine is set as Cav, and only after that, at any "threat" to the battery.

As I understand it, an Infantry advance (frontal) into heavy artillery fire will normally result in disaster, so the Corps is halting to attempt to silence the guns before advancing. 

The doctrine may also be the reason, depending on how you have it set, a unit will not attack a superiour unit, if it "knows" it will be beaten - if you have it set that way. 

I have played many MP games and don't regard what you have seen as a "problem".....note I'm saying saying your wrong and I'm right, but from my experience it has not been noted in the same way, and I don't re-call any other reports from others - yet !.

Hors ligne Grog

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #2 le: 28 octobre 2010, 23:58:35 pm »
If I remember correctly, there is an ' RESUME ATTACK ' order for your Corps (near the bottom of the Orders list [right mouse]) which has stopped to prepare with artillery.

We used this order when the enemy corps had been sufficiently weakened to be attacked by the infantry and it worked well.

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #3 le: 29 octobre 2010, 05:47:50 am »
As far as I know, a corps with artillery will always halt for artillery preparation, then resume automatically when appropriate.  I haven't changed any of the doctrines for anyone.

You can either wait it out, or send in another corps.  Eventually one side or the other will attack.

Hook