Auteur Sujet: Cavalry Behavior  (Lu 9799 fois)

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
Re : Cavalry Behavior
« Réponse #15 le: 22 octobre 2010, 23:24:07 pm »
I'm a HLG beginner, I'm just "exploring" the game in order to understand the mechanics of the movements
I've noticed one thing about cavalry behavior, I often find cavalry starting a charge without specific order,
so it's easy to lose the control of entire units. I'm trying to manage with "low initiative"  option, I also keep
my cavalry occupied in support action but it doesn't seem to work at 100%. I kindly ask your opinion and
advice

Cavalry doing a charge are often doing so on routed enemy units, and that's what you want.  If the routed units are allowed to rally, they'll be back in the fighting.  If the cavalry catches them, the enemy unit is captured, which adds to your score and removes the enemy unit from play.  Even if your cavalry is eventually routed itself, the result is a net gain for you.

Cavalry units also attack artillery, and if it works it's a good thing.  Sometimes it doesn't work and you lose some cavalry over it.

Cavalry won't charge home on an infantry square.  They'll request artillery support.  Sometimes this works nicely.

PS.  Welcome to the game and the forum!

Hook

Hors ligne Cavalier

• Capitaine
« Réponse #16 le: 24 octobre 2010, 04:55:13 am »
One thing I think we should slo be aware of is that in real life it was very easy for commanders to lose control of their cavalry. Wargames nowmally give the virtual commander way more control than they would have had in real life and I feel it is one of the strengths of Les Grog that we are forced to address subordinates that not always do what we want when we want it.

As for maintaining a cavalry reserve, I have had good success by holding them well to th rear behind a terrain feature so they do not have line of sight to the enemy.

Hors ligne thilio

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #17 le: 24 octobre 2010, 09:22:34 am »
One thing I think we should slo be aware of is that in real life it was very easy for commanders to lose control of their cavalry. Wargames nowmally give the virtual commander way more control than they would have had in real life and I feel it is one of the strengths of Les Grog that we are forced to address subordinates that not always do what we want when we want it.

I agree. This is one of the things that makes HW more realistic than other games.