Auteur Sujet: H M S Diadem & General Sir Ralph Abercrombie-1801  (Lu 5274 fois)

Hors ligne z1100_uk

• Soldat
H M S Diadem & General Sir Ralph Abercrombie-1801
« le: 14 octobre 2010, 12:37:50 pm »
I have an original hand written letter here dated 26th March 1801 and it appears to be an account of General Sir Ralph Abercrombies' landings in Egypt on or around that date from the Ship HMS Diadem.  It mentions General Jacques-François Menou; it appears that there is reference to a copy of a captured French Document, Orders from Menou to his Cavalry Commander, perhaps General Roij, or Rozj. Hard to make that name out.

He was killed in Action on 21st March 1801.

Part of it says in reference to the death of Sir Ralph Abercrombie

"His fall has certainly been most noble to himself but I fear at this juncture, most unfortunate for his country-who they will send out to supply his place I have not the least guess, though I look with hope of it's being Sir Charles Stewart, indeed he is the only person I know who has the talent capable of efficiently completing the intent of this arduous undertaking; and he must also bring with him considerable reinforcements;-

For though our last Victory has greatly checked the presumptions of the French, yet they are still superior to us and we must therefore have some assistance finally to expell them from Egypt."

There is no clue to the author of this letter and that is but one paragraph from the eight pages; I wonder who could have written this and to whom it would have been sent...

I think it could be in part a diary entry, in which case I will never know who wrote it. But it does read as though it were from a high ranking officer.

It seems Sir Charles Stewart did not take command. General John Hely-Hutchinson, 2nd Earl of Donoughmore did.

"Following Abercromby's death in March after being wounded at the Battle of Alexandria, Hely-Hutchinson took command of the force. In reward for his successes there, the Ottoman Sultan Selim III made him a Knight, 1st Class, of the Order of the Crescent."

An interesting read

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
Re : H M S Diadem & General Sir Ralph Abercrombie-1801
« Réponse #1 le: 14 octobre 2010, 15:15:49 pm »
You mate, are very fortunate. An original even author unknown, is a rare and valuable piece of history.  Have you thought of submitting it to the Imperial War Museum for them to research?  :idea:

Hors ligne z1100_uk

• Soldat
Re : Re : H M S Diadem & General Sir Ralph Abercrombie-1801
« Réponse #2 le: 14 octobre 2010, 15:35:30 pm »
You mate, are very fortunate. An original even author unknown, is a rare and valuable piece of history.  Have you thought of submitting it to the Imperial War Museum for them to research?  :idea:

They only take things from WWI and WWII. I am trying to see if the Navy want it. Portsmouth has a Historic Naval Dockyard, the one with HMS Victory. So perhaps they will look at it.

Here is part of it.

http://family.webshots.com/photo/2171691060051931438tSfilL?vhost=family

Hors ligne Count von Csollich

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
Re : Re : Re : H M S Diadem & General Sir Ralph Abercrombie-1801
« Réponse #3 le: 14 octobre 2010, 19:23:52 pm »
They only take things from WWI and WWII. I am trying to see if the Navy want it. Portsmouth has a Historic Naval Dockyard, the one with HMS Victory. So perhaps they will look at it.

Here is part of it.

http://family.webshots.com/photo/2171691060051931438tSfilL?vhost=family

Hi, and first of all welcome here on this forums!

have you considered asking Greenwich Naval Museum or Sandhurst Military Academy?

CvC
"parcere subiectis et debellare superbos", Vergil