Auteur Sujet: Mixed order for coalition corps ?  (Lu 12290 fois)

Hors ligne Marquês de Alorna

• Chef de Bataillon
Re : Re : Mixed order for coalition corps ?
« Réponse #15 le: 19 novembre 2010, 11:17:13 am »
And if you turn all three off, it leaves nothing but line, right?  I think we've been through this one before.

Hook, what is your problem with historical accuracy? Don't you think that the period 1801-1807 deserves to be addressed in HW-LG? In fact I don't understand your reluctance to add this flexibility to the game. Maybe you think that I am an 18th century wargamer. I'm not. I just want to be able to simulate Marengo, Ulm and Austerlitz when the allies are limited to historical tactics. What is the problem with this?  :?
« Modifié: 19 novembre 2010, 12:20:26 pm par Marquês de Alorna »

Hors ligne Franciscus

• Colonel
Re : Re : Re : Mixed order for coalition corps ?
« Réponse #16 le: 19 novembre 2010, 11:21:32 am »
Hook, what is your problem with historical accuracy? Don't you think that the period 1801-1807 deserves to be addressed in HW-LG. In fact I don't understand your reluctance to add this flexibility to the game. Maybe you think that I am an 18th century wargamer. I'm not. I just want to be able to simulate Marengo, Ulm and Austerlitz when the allies are limited to historical tactics. What is the problem with this?  :?
+ 1 !

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
Re : Mixed order for coalition corps ?
« Réponse #17 le: 19 novembre 2010, 14:26:51 pm »
Hook, what is your problem with historical accuracy?

Excuse me?  You can rephrase that, or we can meet with pistols at dawn.  :)

A lot of people have expressed an interest in a Seven Years War mod, although you aren't one of them.  You *have* said you love the 18th century, and have brought it up several times.  We've been over the "nothing but linear formations" a half dozen times, and my opinion is still the same:  let's get the more important features implemented first, and a few more bugs fixed.

Other people have asked for the ability to require early period non-French tactics to be more linear without making it sound like they're trying to implement the Seven Years War.  I believe JMM answered them. 

Which features would you rather have:  Division and brigade formations, the ability to play as a corps commander under an AI CinC (both of which are mentioned in the manual along with others), improvements to PBEM and mulitplayer, bug fixes, or "nothing but linear formations for early non-French troops"?  Which ones will be more popular and make the game better?

At some point, JMM is sure to add nation specific and date specific doctrines, about the time he implements British troops and reverse slope tactics.  This would be a good time to differentiate the French and other nations in the earliest years of the game.  Currently, all nations use a more generic set of doctrines, which is appropriate for the game at this stage.  Just give it time. 

Hook

Hors ligne Franciscus

• Colonel
« Réponse #18 le: 19 novembre 2010, 15:05:10 pm »
Hey guys, as the starter of this thread I do not want to see no dueling.  :mrgreen:
I think we all fundamentally agree. Other things, like the ones Hook mentions, are prioritary, but JMM said that he will consider in the future adding more options regarding formations/behaviors.
Do not forget: if we raise issues and suggest changes or improvements, is because we CARE and LOVE this game.

Regards

• Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #19 le: 19 novembre 2010, 15:59:44 pm »
Excuse me?  You can rephrase that, or we can meet with pistols at dawn.  :)
Well, why not a HW-LG PBEM duel instead?  ;)

A lot of people have expressed an interest in a Seven Years War mod, although you aren't one of them.  You *have* said you love the 18th century, and have brought it up several times.  We've been over the "nothing but linear formations" a half dozen times, and my opinion is still the same:  let's get the more important features implemented first, and a few more bugs fixed.
Other people have asked for the ability to require early period non-French tactics to be more linear without making it sound like they're trying to implement the Seven Years War.  I believe JMM answered them.  
The fact that I like the 18th century does not mean that I regard HW-LG as an 18th century simulator. In fact there are several 18th century sims available but I don't have any of them installed in my PC.
What I am is obsessive with historical accuracy. I simply regard the sub-period 1800-1807 as a very interesting one to simulate and to reproduce what happened in those early days when the Austrians still thought that old tactics were right and that French tactical successes during the revolutionary wars of the 1790s were exclusively due to French numerical superiority (and they were in fact not far from the truth regarding that particular time period).
During 1800-1807 Austrian training and field tactics were linear, period. And yes, they were still the pretty same ones employed during the SYW, period.

Which features would you rather have:  Division and brigade formations, the ability to play as a corps commander under an AI CinC (both of which are mentioned in the manual along with others), improvements to PBEM and mulitplayer, bug fixes, or "nothing but linear formations for early non-French troops"?  Which ones will be more popular and make the game better?
At some point, JMM is sure to add nation specific and date specific doctrines, about the time he implements British troops and reverse slope tactics.  This would be a good time to differentiate the French and other nations in the earliest years of the game.  Currently, all nations use a more generic set of doctrines, which is appropriate for the game at this stage.  Just give it time.  
I can accept this. Please look at my first reply to Franciscus. But please stop accusing me from trying to transform HW-LG into an 18th century simulator, otherwise I will myself provide that one pair of pistols that you have just so galantly mentioned.  ;)

I agree with Franciscus: to prevent an army to from using columnar tactics (except March Column, of course) using Doctrine Editor parameters seems not to be very complex. But maybe I'm failing to see the complete picture (I don't know the source code) and it is more difficult as it seems. In that case, I fully agree that we must wait until after the more important functionality is implemented and working as expected.
« Modifié: 19 novembre 2010, 16:02:42 pm par Marquês de Alorna »

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #20 le: 20 novembre 2010, 01:55:03 am »
After my last PBEM game many, many versions ago, I hope never to see another PBEM game again in my life.  Even with the problems fixed it's not my favorite method of play.

As far as programming complexity goes, nothing is ever as quick or simple as you think.  What I thought should take about 3 lines of code (and I could have even written those lines myself given 3 decades of experience), ended up being a 3 month rewrite of much of the game. 

It's not that I don't think these are useful changes to the game, it's just that they are pretty low priority for now and will remain so until the doctrine system and AI get a rewrite for the British troops.  Bring it up again when that gets close.

Hook

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
« Réponse #21 le: 20 novembre 2010, 19:08:48 pm »
Which features would you rather have:  Division and brigade formations

As far as priorities are concerned, the above is first for me :roll:

Hors ligne Cavalier

• Capitaine
« Réponse #22 le: 01 décembre 2010, 11:54:32 am »
I have two rapiers if needed for a duel. Don't worry, they are real antiques as I would not see my friends duel with modern replicas.

Hors ligne GoldSabre

• Soldat
« Réponse #23 le: 02 décembre 2010, 04:10:49 am »
Rapiers and epees are dainty, use a manly sabre.

• Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #24 le: 02 décembre 2010, 16:12:10 pm »
Rapiers and epees are dainty, use a manly sabre.
I prefer the pistol.

Regards,
d'Alorna