Auteur Sujet: Choosing the Deploy concentration point + Deploying detached regiments  (Lu 12669 fois)

Hors ligne Marquês de Alorna

• Chef de Bataillon
From this discussion I can only conclude that you're pushing for the ability to play Seven Years War with HistWar: Les Grognards.  Yes, you could make arguments that some nations were doing this at the beginning of the Napoleonic period, but we've already read those.  I'd prefer to see a few more bugs fixed and a lot more features added before we go in that direction. 
I think that you are connecting this thread to the one where I discuss the implementation of linear doctrine, though this has nothing to do with that issue.
I'm only saying that there are different trade-offs between safety and speed when marching on the battlefield. Forget about linear tactics!
If there is an impending threat, it is better to march in a more combat-effective formation (e.g. attack column) rather than in march column. However, if speed is the priority, the regiment commander could decide to take the risk. This is all I am saying in this particular thread.

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
Re : Choosing the Deploy concentration point + Deploying detached regiments
« Réponse #16 le: 02 octobre 2010, 17:03:35 pm »
March column isn't the same as road column.  It's still a combat formation.  If we were dealing with road column, I'd say you were exactly right, that as bad as line is for security from attack from the flanks, it's still better than road column.  And line IS bad if the threat isn't directly in front of you when encountered by surprise, which is how it normally happens.  It's no easier to turn a battalion in line to face a threat from the flank than it is to turn a corps the same way.  Also, the formation change that takes the longest is from line to square.

You've already got the ability to specify line or column when you give a corp a deploy order, so that part of your request is covered.  If you're trying to get the same thing for individual regiments, I'm wondering why you're maneuvering individual regiments enough to worry about it. 

Speed is of the essence on a battlefield.  If you can move faster than the enemy, you can decide when, where, how and even if combat takes place.  If you want to move at the slowest possible rate, go right ahead.  It gives me plenty of time to set up a flanking attack.

Troops of any quality can stand in place in line formation, but it takes training and experience to move in line.  Lines have to be halted at frequent intervals to keep everyone in line formation.  Lines are hard to maneuver, because it takes forever to change facing and still maintain something resembling a line. 

Troops open fire at around 80 meters and infantry can see and react to things 500 meters away.  It's highly unlikely that you won't see a threat until you're within the open-fire distance.  I can't guarantee that it's even possible within the game.  If not, it's one of those minor details that need to be added before we worry about trying to model combat outside the Napoleonic period, or even on its fringes.

Hook

Hors ligne Marquês de Alorna

• Chef de Bataillon
You've already got the ability to specify line or column when you give a corp a deploy order, so that part of your request is covered.  If you're trying to get the same thing for individual regiments, I'm wondering why you're maneuvering individual regiments enough to worry about it. 
This exceptional, of course. But still it can be decisive (e.g to defend or to take an exposed LOP, a bridge, etc).

Speed is of the essence on a battlefield.  If you can move faster than the enemy, you can decide when, where, how and even if combat takes place.  If you want to move at the slowest possible rate, go right ahead.  It gives me plenty of time to set up a flanking attack.
Wellington would teach a different lesson to the French...

Troops of any quality can stand in place in line formation, but it takes training and experience to move in line.  Lines have to be halted at frequent intervals to keep everyone in line formation.  Lines are hard to maneuver, because it takes forever to change facing and still maintain something resembling a line. 
I was not talking about lines.

Troops open fire at around 80 meters and infantry can see and react to things 500 meters away.  It's highly unlikely that you won't see a threat until you're within the open-fire distance.  I can't guarantee that it's even possible within the game.  If not, it's one of those minor details that need to be added before we worry about trying to model combat outside the Napoleonic period, or even on its fringes.
1805-1807 is not on its fringes. I'm talking about Ulm, Austerlitz, Jena. Austerlitz is even tentatively modeled in the game.

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
Re : Choosing the Deploy concentration point + Deploying detached regiments
« Réponse #18 le: 02 octobre 2010, 20:04:08 pm »
would invariably go charging off after the nearest enemy.

I think this is not so bad now, generally that will happen if they think the encounter can be won, but I do agree, a better "scout" behaviour will be a good improvement.