Auteur Sujet: Bayonet charge  (Lu 9210 fois)

Hors ligne Uxbridge

• Chef de Bataillon
Re : Bayonet charge
« Réponse #15 le: 11 août 2010, 18:32:15 pm »
Alfiere you have misunderstood me.  The key phrase in my message was "stops advancing".  If I have ordered a Corps, or a regiment, to advance and they stop then I want to know if there is anything I can do about it.  I do not micromanage how orders are carried out but I definitely want to understand what causes the orders to fail.
Has anyone seen my leg?

Hors ligne Alfiere

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #16 le: 11 août 2010, 18:56:50 pm »
Sorry,sometimes with English do a bit of confusion.
I see that is better follow the actions also in 3d,but if is not essential, I'd rather stay in 2d.
Aid gave it to me Ajle, with right click over own icons.
Thank
« Modifié: 11 août 2010, 19:22:13 pm par Alfiere »
Danube camp - 3rd Coaltion camp

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
« Réponse #17 le: 11 août 2010, 20:59:23 pm »
Aid gave it to me Ajle, with right click over own icons.
Thank

A pleasure :D

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #18 le: 12 août 2010, 04:59:24 am »
When I play I go from 2d to 3d and back all the time, trying to understand the strategic position in 2d then looking in 3d to see what is actually happening.  I find the 3d view vital. For example, if a regiment forms square and stops advancing then I want to know what cavalry unit they can see that is worrying them. Not easy to do that on the 2d view.

That's interesting considering the 3D view gives you the least amount of information of all the views.  I suspect this is why people end up mostly using the 2D view.  I use the 3D view when I want to watch the battle, not to get information, although if you find the 3D view more useful, go for it.

If you hold down the Shift key on the 2D map, it changes the backgrounds on all the icons to either red or blue so you can instantly see where the enemy units are.

Hook

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #19 le: 12 août 2010, 05:01:56 am »
The example of square is interesting.(i hope that in the future also in 2d represents the square)
I would not continually switch 2d and 3d for all battle for to see if infantry is in square or not.This is micromanagement.

If you select a unit on the 2D map, the unit info box has a small icon at the bottom that shows its formation.

Hook

Hors ligne thilio

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #20 le: 12 août 2010, 09:48:08 am »
I also do a 3D tour of the Map before I make my battle plans, this is the only way to get a true feeling of the topography.

Yes, 3d view is very usefull to see the relief, even if F4 can help too.
That's why I use 3d during the battle. Sometimes in 2d, units look like they are very close but when switching to 3d you can see there is no line of sight because of the relief.

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
« Réponse #21 le: 12 août 2010, 13:57:55 pm »
If you hold down the Shift key on the 2D map, it changes the backgrounds on all the icons to either red or blue so you can instantly see where the enemy units are.

Hook

Bloody Hell Hook, will you please stop telling me new things, whenever I think I've got HLG understood, Hook throws a curve ball.  Now Ive got to remember something new again ;) ;) :lol: :lol:

Seriously mate, I don't know how I missed that :shock:

Sometimes in 2d, units look like they are very close but when switching to 3d you can see there is no line of sight because of the relief

Thiio brings up a good point here.

As a general note, this Topic is an example of why the Forum is so invaluable. I think Uxbridge (the one with one leg), started off on the Bayonet Charge and now we are on topograhy, shift keys etc... The respectful sharing of ideas thoughts and answers enriches and grows the understanding of HLG and it's Community
« Modifié: 12 août 2010, 14:07:09 pm par ajlewisbrookes »

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #22 le: 12 août 2010, 14:53:22 pm »
I missed this, something else to remember to check out.

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #23 le: 13 août 2010, 01:44:05 am »
Bloody Hell Hook, will you please stop telling me new things, whenever I think I've got HLG understood, Hook throws a curve ball.  Now Ive got to remember something new again ;) ;) :lol: :lol:
Seriously mate, I don't know how I missed that :shock:

It's new.  I think it's only in the latest version.  I don't remember where I read about it, possibly the patch notes.  Very useful feature, especially now that the unit icons are so varied.  I haven't decided if I want to request a toggle to keep the red and blue icons.

Hook

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
« Réponse #24 le: 13 août 2010, 02:40:13 am »
I haven't decided if I want to request a toggle to keep the red and blue icons.

I think that may be useful for certain battles. Yesterday we did a 2 V 2 MP, Montebello scenario,  with those particular OOB's, where there are some similarly colored unit icons, I found that at first glance, in the heat of battle, I misread an enemy for a friend in F2. So that under some circumstances could be usefully.

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #25 le: 13 août 2010, 04:16:47 am »
I had the same problem with that OoB with the old icons.  On my screen, the secondary nationalities were too similar between the two sides.  With the new icons, the battlefield is certainly colorful enough, and this is a good thing, but it's really difficult to keep track of who is who, even if you look close.  The red and blue icons will tell you instantly at a glance what the overall situation is.

I'm just not sure if having the Shift key toggle between normal and red/blue would be a good idea.  Or using caps lock to do the same thing.  It could be programmed to be simple and intuitive, but is likely to cause problems with other key commands.  And you lose the colorfulness of the battlefield. :)

Hook