Auteur Sujet: Bayonet charge  (Lu 9209 fois)

Hors ligne Uxbridge

• Chef de Bataillon
Bayonet charge
« le: 09 août 2010, 22:05:58 pm »
AJLewisBrookes published a great picture of a bayonet charge in the ongoing "help this is terrible" thread (sorry I don't know how to insert a direct link to it).  I saw my first such action the other day. Is this a feature of the latest patch or was it there all the time but not correctly rendered in 3D? If it has always been there, this would explain some of the odd things such as two infantry regiments facing each other, one firing away and the other not moving or firing at all. Is it that the passive regiment is really charging up and then recoiling from the musket volleys?

Has anyone seen my leg?

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
Re : Bayonet charge
« Réponse #1 le: 09 août 2010, 23:51:51 pm »
Hail oh one legged one!!!!! It's been there all the time but just as in real life, it rarely happened.  Nobody likes being stabbed with a rusty bayonet so they usually had a mutual rout. I read somewhere on the forum (quite some time ago), that napoleons Personal battlefield physician said he had only seen a handfull of bayonet wounds.

I was just lucky with the screenshot

Hors ligne Uxbridge

• Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #2 le: 10 août 2010, 10:38:23 am »
Very interesting. Even though the offficial doctrine of some armies (the Austrian, for example) was for bayonet in preference to musketry at short ranges,  you are saying it rarely happened. Would it really be a mutual rout? Seems more likely that one side would back off (or run away) and rely on their second line to stop the enemy.
Has anyone seen my leg?

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #3 le: 10 août 2010, 14:08:53 pm »
I read somewhere on the forum (quite some time ago), that napoleons Personal battlefield physician said he had only seen a handfull of bayonet wounds.
I have seen the figures in a book, it was a small % of total wounds seen, I forget the number, but it was small and I have seen many different forum members around the Community saying melee was a rare thing - not common at all.

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #4 le: 10 août 2010, 14:42:09 pm »
Very interesting. Even though the offficial doctrine of some armies (the Austrian, for example) was for bayonet in preference to musketry at short ranges,  you are saying it rarely happened.

That's exactly how it was.  Every general wanted the bayonet charge but the troops would stop to fire instead, and it was almost impossible to get them moving again.  It's possible that's one reason why the Old Guard was so effective, because they didn't stop to fire, but I haven't read anything about that.

Bayonet wounds were a very small percentage, around 2% or so.  At least one general was quoted as saying he'd never seen a bayonet fight in an open field.  They only happened when a "fortified" position was attacked.

In "Battle Studies", du Picq goes into the bayonet charge problem at length.  It's a great read for anyone interested in the morale side of Napoleonic warfare.

Hook
« Modifié: 10 août 2010, 14:43:51 pm par Hook »

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
« Réponse #5 le: 10 août 2010, 15:10:10 pm »
"One legged One", had a dig around and found this topic on bayonet charges, don't know if you remember it but it proved to be informative.

http://www.histwar.org/forum/index.php/topic,4868.msg63087.html#msg63087

Hors ligne Marquês de Alorna

• Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #6 le: 10 août 2010, 15:27:06 pm »
Anyway, the unit that charges and then stops, should return fire instead of remaining inactive taking fire. Either this or run away. So, there is probably a bug.

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
« Réponse #7 le: 10 août 2010, 15:28:30 pm »
How did we get on the subject of bugs again?

Hors ligne Uxbridge

• Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #8 le: 10 août 2010, 15:54:14 pm »
I agree with Marquês de Alorna - the 3D view often shows a regiment apparently motionless with an enemy regiment firing at them from about 100m range.  In reality what would be happening - would they be firing back, attempting perhaps to close with the bayonet or retreating? It would be very pleasing if Histwar depicted more clearly what the 2D engine has calculated.
Has anyone seen my leg?

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
« Réponse #9 le: 10 août 2010, 15:59:35 pm »
It would be very pleasing if Histwar depicted more clearly what the 2D engine has calculated.

This is JMM's current project, I believe

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
« Réponse #10 le: 11 août 2010, 00:30:23 am »
These behaviours are  a bit annoying because I am sure we checked 10, 100 times these kind of fight.
We had a grid with a several dozens of type INF vs INF fight (line, column, skirmisher, strength (<,=,>, 1 to 6 batallions).. and I can say all was very good...
I believe a thing is broken in the 3D engine and I didn't spend time to fix this issue. So, I have to re-do the tests in order to definitively fix these behaviours. Just a few patience...

JMM

Hors ligne Uxbridge

• Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #11 le: 11 août 2010, 13:15:37 pm »
Thanks JMM.
Good to know you are on the case.  When I play I go from 2d to 3d and back all the time, trying to understand the strategic position in 2d then looking in 3d to see what is actually happening.  I find the 3d view vital. For example, if a regiment forms square and stops advancing then I want to know what cavalry unit they can see that is worrying them. Not easy to do that on the 2d view.
Has anyone seen my leg?

Hors ligne Alfiere

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #12 le: 11 août 2010, 14:41:02 pm »
This is bad news for me.
I have almost exclusively played only in 2d.
The example of square is interesting.(i hope that in the future also in 2d represents the square)
There are other important example where 3d is so important?
I would not continually switch 2d and 3d for all battle for to see if infantry is in square or not.This is micromanagement.
Danube camp - 3rd Coaltion camp

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
« Réponse #13 le: 11 août 2010, 14:47:55 pm »
One thing I do when fighting predominantly in F2, is right click and hold on an individual unit. You get a top down view of the unit and it's formation. When things are going well, I do take 3D tours of the battlefield, enjoying firefights charges etc...
I also do a 3D tour of the Map before I make my battle plans, this is the only way to get a true feeling of the topography.

Hors ligne Alfiere

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #14 le: 11 août 2010, 14:52:07 pm »
Thank Ajle , you are always generous with advice.
Danube camp - 3rd Coaltion camp