Auteur Sujet: Close-combat always 1-to-1?  (Lu 3720 fois)

Hors ligne Marquês de Alorna

• Chef de Bataillon
Close-combat always 1-to-1?
« le: 19 juillet 2010, 03:30:14 am »
Is it my impression or we never see two or more friendly units attacking an enemy unit at the same time?

Regards,
António

Hors ligne Montecuccoli

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateur
  • Colonel
Re : Close-combat always 1-to-1?
« Réponse #1 le: 19 juillet 2010, 10:33:51 am »
Other units give support in terms of morale and cohesion and... support.

For example if 2 cavalry units attack one enemy cavalry unit, you will see

1- one cav Vs one cav
2- if the cavalry that lose the melee is the cavalry with support from another, the supporting cavlry will engage the victorious enemy and (in most cases) rout it
3- if the cavalry that lose the melee is the cavalry without the support, the supporting cavalry will pursuit so providing prisoners in most cases
Histwar beta tester

Hors ligne Marquês de Alorna

• Chef de Bataillon
Re : Re : Close-combat always 1-to-1?
« Réponse #2 le: 19 juillet 2010, 13:01:31 pm »
Other units give support in terms of morale and cohesion and... support.
Well, but is this realistic? Two friendly units charging an enemy unit from different angles should be able to do it simultaneously, right?

António

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #3 le: 19 juillet 2010, 16:08:40 pm »
Well, but is this realistic? Two friendly units charging an enemy unit from different angles should be able to do it simultaneously, right?

Only on a wargame table.  The two charging units would interfere with each other, even coming from different directions, and if there are two units that can charge a single enemy, one of them will wait until the first combat is resolved.  If this were miniatures rules, think of it as only one unit can receive a charge bonus at a time.

I've seen a lot of cases where two units have been ordered to attack a single enemy, and for whatever reason neither will attack.  This isn't a problem if you let the AI choose the attacks.  I'd recommend only having one unit at a time attempting to attack a single enemy.  If you have a second unit you want to attack as well, just get them close enough and they'll figure out what to do when the time comes.

Hook

Hors ligne Montecuccoli

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateur
  • Colonel
« Réponse #4 le: 19 juillet 2010, 17:23:39 pm »
On the other hand, taken in account the above example for cavalry; attacking with both units will result in those units to become stressed from the fight.

Considering that napoleonic wars teached that the victory comes if a victory can be exploited only if no quarter is given to the enemy (charging it to the very end, like prussian campaign) a player can understand the importance to have a fresh unit that can support (attack or defense) another unit  :D.
Histwar beta tester

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #5 le: 19 juillet 2010, 18:17:18 pm »
I have asked myself this question many times, but I do understand the answers given.....except for in this situation.

I don't re-call this happening :

A engaging blue while AT THE SAME time B attacks blue from the flank - does this happen ?......I've not seen it.

Hors ligne Montecuccoli

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateur
  • Colonel
« Réponse #6 le: 19 juillet 2010, 19:02:24 pm »
Yes this happen, in the very first beta stage we were addressed to test it:

the unit engaged on the flank will commit its reserve to engage the flanking force, you will see reserves moving on the flank.

However B must start its move completely behind the Frontline
« Modifié: 19 juillet 2010, 19:05:13 pm par Montecuccoli »
Histwar beta tester

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #7 le: 19 juillet 2010, 19:51:24 pm »
Thank you, I will watch out for this.