Auteur Sujet: FOW and F8/Status option  (Lu 4536 fois)

Hors ligne Marquês de Alorna

• Chef de Bataillon
FOW and F8/Status option
« le: 17 juillet 2010, 18:19:23 pm »
The F8/Status option seems to let you see the area occupied by the enemy troops, even if the units are not visible.

Regards,
António
« Modifié: 17 juillet 2010, 19:35:12 pm par Marquês de Alorna »

Hors ligne Simon

• Adjudant
Re : FOW and F8/Status option
« Réponse #1 le: 17 juillet 2010, 22:20:36 pm »
Thank you very much for that explanation. In fact I did find the c command eventually but only by looking elsewhere in the forum. The reason for my problem was not obvious and neither was the control to correct it I'm afraid.

When I did manage to play the game, I ran into some more problems. I'm sure it is just me being unfamiliar with the game:-

Animation of the marching failed and the units just slid along the matter what the game speed.

The system menu would not display and so I couldn't save the game and lost all my time.

Sounds were not working correctly - all I can hear is squawking birds.

Battalions detach front troops and place them over 600 yards in front.

Artillery failed to fire on enemy, despite repeated orders to do so.

I am inexplicably informed that my artillery has been destroyed and see some cavalry (a small detachment from the regiment that the artillery should have been firing at) who weren't there before, retiring. The battery was then indicated to be damaged and then not on the map but it did not look like it was damaged and was still on the map.

I click on an Austrian divisional commander to move him but all I can move is the overall leader.
Timings appear under various pieces of information. Some give a time and some appear to give a time elapsed???

The distances between units seen enormous - everyone is so isolated. It looks wrong doesn't it?

Hors ligne quartermaster

• Officier HistWar
  • Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #2 le: 17 juillet 2010, 22:26:33 pm »
Simon, what version / patch level were you running?

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #3 le: 17 juillet 2010, 22:52:14 pm »
I saw the animation problem once, but it went away after I rebooted my computer.  This might also help the problem with parts of units being far ahead of the rest of the unit.

The ESC key should give the system menu, but you don't need it to save games.  The games are saved automatically while being played.  You should be able go to back and reload the saved game without problems.

Sound problems were fixed with patch 02b, I think.

The amount of space the units take up on the ground is in proper scale to the amount of space between them.  While each figure on the battlefield represents 10 men, even if we had one figure per man they'd be 1/3 the size and still take up the same amount of space on the ground.  One thing that might help the looks of the battlefield is to zoom in the various 3D views... hold down the control key and right mouse button and move it toward the top of the screen.  This is described in the tutorials.  The default zoom is a very wide angle, so things look farther apart.

Hook

Hors ligne Simon

• Adjudant
« Réponse #4 le: 18 juillet 2010, 14:51:27 pm »
Thanks very much to Hook but I already use both patches and do you know about the other things? I try very hard to play but I don't understand so much.

Some more things that happen

Destroyed Al artillery unit shows morale of 93

Artillery firing normally but then a ghostly image of cavalry appears within them sometimes vibrating and other times completely disappeared. Throughout this, the artillery continued firing normally.

?c79? displayed in a box sometime

Units go way passed their deployment and and have to circle back to get to it.

Another unitshowing 93 then 100 morale routing, despite seeing no action
If other units rout at 70, how do you know what the limit is?

Why do the sounds (firing) echo so much in open air? It sounds terrible like computer synthesised noise

Impossible to get rested cavalry with morale of 95 to attack. Eventually turned away with morale of 93.

Please help me to get through my lack of understanding. I want to play so much!

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #5 le: 18 juillet 2010, 15:25:32 pm »
Destroyed Al artillery unit shows morale of 93

Their guns are gone, but at least they're in a good mood.  :) 

Artillery firing normally but then a ghostly image of cavalry appears within them sometimes vibrating and other times completely disappeared. Throughout this, the artillery continued firing normally.

This is a normal cavalry attack on the artillery unit.  If the cavalry appear to be vibrating, that sounds like an animation glitch.  Both cavalry and infantry will send small groups to attack the guns.

?c79? displayed in a box sometime

This is an example of missing text.  Next time you see it, take a screen shot (press the W key) so we can figure out where it is and fix it.  Screen shots are saved in the Screen folder in BMP format.  Load it into Microsoft Paint or another graphics program and save it as JPG so it's small enough to attach to a post here.  Attaching a screen shot is under Additional Options when you make a post.

Units go way passed their deployment and and have to circle back to get to it.

It sounds like some units were attacking some enemy.  If you were using Move To instead of Deploy to get them to their location, some units will move faster than others and could get farther ahead.  If you use Deploy everyone will march to the location in formation.

Another unit showing 93 then 100 morale routing, despite seeing no action

I've seen this occasionally, but I don't know if it's a bug or intentional.  If it's intentional, I have no idea why they're doing it.

If other units rout at 70, how do you know what the limit is?

You really don't.  Generally, units don't rout at a specific morale, but because of a combat result.

Why do the sounds (firing) echo so much in open air? It sounds terrible like computer synthesised noise

That's probably the sound of volley fire, and I agree that it's pretty bad.  I've been working on getting that fixed.

Impossible to get rested cavalry with morale of 95 to attack. Eventually turned away with morale of 93.

Cavalry won't attack unless they think they can win.  If the enemy unit is in square, they probably won't attack.  Bring up some artillery to blast the square for a while.  Normally, I don't bother giving specific units orders to attack, as the AI is pretty good about figuring out what to do. 

Good luck, and keep at it. 

Hook

Hors ligne Marquês de Alorna

• Chef de Bataillon
FOW and F8/Status option
« Réponse #6 le: 19 juillet 2010, 13:57:47 pm »
The F8/Status option seems to let you see the area occupied by the enemy troops, even if the units are not visible. This provides a valuable hint on the adversary's troop concentration.
In my opinion, the F8/Status option should only display the area occupied by the visible troops.

Note: I had already posted this issue before, but then it received some unrelated responses by accident.

Regards,
António