Auteur Sujet: Deployment areas  (Lu 11348 fois)

Hors ligne Holdit

• Lieutenant
Deployment areas
« le: 04 juillet 2010, 10:09:54 am »
I recently bought the game and was amazed to find that in the historical battles the deployment areas mean that historical deployments can't be achieved from the start, e.g. the French not holding Marengo, the Russians not holding the Grand Redount.

Is there a workaround by which historical deplyments can be achieved?

How likely is this issue to be addressed in the next patch?

Holdit

Hors ligne Darsh

• Chevalier HistWar
  • Général de Brigade
  • 1re Division de Cavalerie
Re : Deployment areas
« Réponse #1 le: 04 juillet 2010, 16:56:16 pm »
A tip to have the good starting positions is to command the two armies, move these armies on the correct positions, and leave the game to save it.

Hors ligne Count von Csollich

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
« Réponse #2 le: 05 juillet 2010, 00:06:45 am »
I have suggested a way to make battles historically playable some time ago to JMM and the beta team - that would include corps of the enemy side moving according to the historical plan and the proper initial deployments considered - like "les Fleches" or the "great redoubt" of Borodino or Kienmayer's advance guard at AUsterlitz...

I'll try to reinitiate the discussion as soon as the patch has been released!  :p

CvC
"parcere subiectis et debellare superbos", Vergil

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
« Réponse #3 le: 05 juillet 2010, 00:07:41 am »
For some battles, the present feature (limit the zone of deployment for each army) isn't the best.
So... in a future, this system will be improved to allow a precise definition of the initial zone...(in the map editor)

JMM

Hors ligne Simon

• Adjudant
« Réponse #4 le: 17 juillet 2010, 18:42:10 pm »
So the battles are not set up to have correct positions at the start? That's very strange.

When I look at Austerlitz, one corps starts outside the deploy zone. And if you move a unit of that corps inside the zone, you can't move it back out again. Its me being stupid somehow I know.

My main problem is I don't know how to move the start position of both armies, even if I select to command both. Only one allows me to move it. The tutorial tells me to try positioning the French but it's the Austrians that are the only one I can move. What am I doing wrong does anyone know???

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
Re : Re : Deployment areas
« Réponse #5 le: 17 juillet 2010, 18:50:21 pm »
So the battles are not set up to have correct positions at the start? That's very strange.

When I look at Austerlitz, one corps starts outside the deploy zone. And if you move a unit of that corps inside the zone, you can't move it back out again. Its me being stupid somehow I know.

I am going to modify the rules for the initial deployment... Wait for that!

My main problem is I don't know how to move the start position of both armies, even if I select to command both. Only one allows me to move it. The tutorial tells me to try positioning the French but it's the Austrians that are the only one I can move. What am I doing wrong does anyone know???

You can move/send orders for the side with the "focus". Press 'C' to change the side.

JMM

Hors ligne Simon

• Adjudant
« Réponse #6 le: 25 juillet 2010, 23:28:40 pm »
I still don't understand why anyone would create say Austerlitz and put the units in the wrong start positions???  Are the set-ups for all the battles like that?

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
« Réponse #7 le: 25 juillet 2010, 23:49:29 pm »
I didn't enough pay attention to the initial place of units.
I agree with you, the places are wrong.
I have to rework on the places of units for all historical battles.
However, the main objective is to replay the battle like What If, and the initial places aren't important in this point of view.

JMM

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
« Réponse #8 le: 26 juillet 2010, 01:41:01 am »
Agree with JMM. The way it is now youget the what if factor and if you don't like it you can put everybody in the historical start positions :D

Hors ligne Marquês de Alorna

• Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #9 le: 26 juillet 2010, 12:47:36 pm »
Agree with JMM. The way it is now youget the what if factor and if you don't like it you can put everybody in the historical start positions :D
I agree, as far as the editor gives you that freedom, which is not currently the case. But JMM already promised to allow the definition of occupied positions is a more flexible way.

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #10 le: 26 juillet 2010, 14:30:09 pm »
However, the main objective is to replay the battle like What If
I agree, playing the same battle with the same start positions over and over again has very limited appeal.

Hors ligne Marquês de Alorna

• Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #11 le: 26 juillet 2010, 15:15:56 pm »
I agree, playing the same battle with the same start positions over and over again has very limited appeal.
But sometimes it is interesting, from a simulation point of view. I think that HW-LG can be more than a game. It can be to Napoleonic warfare what AATF is for modern warfare.

Hors ligne Count von Csollich

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
Re : Re : Re : Deployment areas
« Réponse #12 le: 26 juillet 2010, 15:27:40 pm »
But sometimes it is interesting, from a simulation point of view. I think that HW-LG can be more than a game. It can be to Napoleonic warfare what AATF is for modern warfare.

I have suggested exactly this a very long time ago - making HWLG not only a simulation to play what ifs but also to be able to replay the actual historic battle....I think I have found a way - but as you can imagine - the patch has taken up all resources.....it'll be some time but I will reopen this topic when the time appears right!

CvC
"parcere subiectis et debellare superbos", Vergil

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #13 le: 26 juillet 2010, 19:22:56 pm »
But sometimes it is interesting, from a simulation point of view
I agree, yes, it would be good to have the "correct" start positions - to re-play it a time or two from the right situation.

Hors ligne Simon

• Adjudant
« Réponse #14 le: 26 juillet 2010, 23:00:08 pm »
I'm surprised that anyone would disagree (particularly as the implicit intent of most posters here is to achieve a high level of historical accuracy) that the historical starting positions should be the default option.

To those who seem to think this is an important (undesirable even), here's a question for you: why bother to have the correct order of battle either? Or the Pratzen Heights. This is the same school of thinking that has given us the atrocity of Quatre Bras to be played with completely the wrong order of battle and somewhat dubious terrain. There is a crossroads though, I'll give you that.

JMM has already accepted the need to revisit the starting positions and rightly so (thank you).