Auteur Sujet: Echelon organiZation  (Lu 3092 fois)

Hors ligne Marquês de Alorna

• Chef de Bataillon
Echelon organiZation
« le: 26 juin 2010, 02:42:46 am »
Hi

Has someone already succeeded using the Deploy order with Echelon or Checkerboard organizations? The effect seems to be similar to the 2 lines organization. No real echelon is formed. Am I doing something wrong?

António

Hors ligne thilio

• Général de Brigade
Re : Echelon organiZation
« Réponse #1 le: 26 juin 2010, 13:03:52 pm »
Not tried...
But from the manual I guess you must have enough units in your corps to deploy on 3 lines for the Checkerboard.
Or said differently, you must not deploy on a large line with a small corps.
« Modifié: 26 juin 2010, 13:06:40 pm par thilio »

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
Re : Echelon organization
« Réponse #2 le: 26 juin 2010, 15:48:09 pm »
Has someone already succeeded using the Deploy order with Echelon or Checkerboard organizations? The effect seems to be similar to the 2 lines organization. No real echelon is formed. Am I doing something wrong?

I use these orders routinely. Using "Echelon" does not mean that you see a pronounced "Echelon Refused Line" in the 2D view, the line of deployment is still as you drew it, rather the Corps units will attack refusing one flank rather than meeting the enemy in a parallel line.  If you watch Infantry attacking in "Echelon" in the 3D mode, you can observe the difference.  I believe JMM quotes Von Clausewitz in the Manual with regards to preferring this method of engaging. I rarely give an attack order on "2 Lines", the refused flank of the "Echelon" command also helps protect your attacking units against a counter flanking movement by the enemy.

I use "Checkerboard" primarily as a deep defense line, the units are supporting each other in depth. I also use it to retreat, with a command to the rear of an engaged Corps position, "Deploy in Checkerboard" change on arrival to "Defend in Checkerboard", gives a Corp the best chance of an orderly retreat with each unit supporting each other in depth. A word of caution here, it's hard to retreat a Corp heavily engaged without significant losses :?
« Modifié: 26 juin 2010, 16:01:38 pm par ajlewisbrookes »