Auteur Sujet: PBEM battle Alf V Aj test Workaround  (Lu 21107 fois)

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
Re : PBEM battle Alf V Aj test Workaround
« Réponse #30 le: 12 juin 2010, 15:19:21 pm »
Of course, most of my PBEMs have used mIRC's direct file transfer.  The hardest part for me is keeping the files straight.

Hook, what is mirc"s direct file transfer? what advantages does it have etc... Thanks in advance. 8)

Hors ligne Alfiere

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #31 le: 12 juin 2010, 15:49:46 pm »
Now i am playing Temporary PBEM with italian player.
I think to send file not zipped,how many mega can to be transfer with mail?
I heard that with Google mail 20 mega with no problem.  be true?

We must find a other way to transfer big files.
http://blog.shift.it/2009/02/24/altri-metodi-per-trasferire-grossi-files/
« Modifié: 12 juin 2010, 16:34:41 pm par Alfiere »
Danube camp - 3rd Coaltion camp

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
« Réponse #32 le: 12 juin 2010, 16:41:29 pm »
Alfy, the files don't get that big. I just did a 300 ceh battle on a 15k map and the file end size was 2.75mb.
With the workaround the file is smaller than the Official pbem file size

Hors ligne Alfiere

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #33 le: 12 juin 2010, 16:54:18 pm »
Our Auerstadt the file was 4.178 Mega.
It is true, is not too big.
Perhaps for mail no problems.
« Modifié: 12 juin 2010, 16:55:51 pm par Alfiere »

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
« Réponse #34 le: 12 juin 2010, 16:59:36 pm »
I haven't had any. My ISP "Comcast" allows 10mb

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #35 le: 12 juin 2010, 17:32:23 pm »
I copy my file to a folder, then zip it there, send it via the e-mail and delete after its sent......then the downloaded zip file is downloaded into that folder, un zipped there and moved into the HW/battle save folder, overwriting the exsisting file.  That way I always have the last updated file my end, untill I get the next file back.

Hors ligne Alfiere

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #36 le: 12 juin 2010, 17:34:17 pm »
Ajle, you are playing temporary.
Tell us something,problems with order?
Are using zipping files or not?

Hors ligne GrosPaul

• Chef de Bataillon
Re : Re : PBEM battle Alf V Aj test Workaround
« Réponse #37 le: 12 juin 2010, 17:50:20 pm »
Now i am playing Temporary PBEM with italian player.
I think to send file not zipped,how many mega can to be transfer with mail?
I heard that with Google mail 20 mega with no problem.  be true?

We must find a other way to transfer big files.
http://blog.shift.it/2009/02/24/altri-metodi-per-trasferire-grossi-files/

to Alfiere and Aj,
Why not test :

http://www.wetransfer.info/

You should be able to transfer up to 2 GB (!!) free from charges they are paid by advertisers.
Read the "faq", very instrutives.

From the informations, no need to change the emailer. "wetransfer" acts like a bridge between emails.

I hope that could help you a bit and enlighten if zipping a file or not changes the process. Anyway, if zipping is not necessary (using "wetransfer") it should be easier to handle PBEM.

Paragraph for JMM (I presume he reads this) :
Personaly, I am waiting as many others, I suppose, the new release of LG before I dive again in LG. When we paid for LG, we knew it was a beta version. Therefore I feel a bit let down when I read the new version is tested only by the "old" testers. Aren't Gunner24, Ajlewisbrookes, Alfieri amongst those who should be invited to test the new release? Of course, in case you scorn for testing all the others devotees to our beloved game.

Cheers from a like wounded afficionado,
GP.

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
« Réponse #38 le: 12 juin 2010, 17:54:07 pm »
A few order problems Alfy, but no more than in SOLO mode, sometimes have to repeat the same Corp order and it gets executed the 2nd time. I find that a lot of the bugs  are related to the map or oob, you are using. A battle with Ges had a river problem, with units on both sides unable to move near the river, and some units under water with their flag sticking out!!! The Austerlitz oob, Soults Corps will sometimes accept reassingned units and sometimes won't causing a freeze.

I am not zipping any files right now. Hope this helps

Hors ligne Alfiere

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #39 le: 12 juin 2010, 18:04:53 pm »
Thanks to GrosPaul and Ajle for these news.

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #40 le: 12 juin 2010, 18:11:29 pm »
I still see some "bugs"....deployed artillery that will not re-deploy to another place.....sometimes no movement near rivers, I wonder if this is connected to being very close to the river when the orders are given, I have seen good marching and pathfinding when orders are given to corps a long way away from the river....they march to, and over the bridge ok, but when they start close by and you try to get them over the river it looks a mess.

I've seen some "funny" artillery units, with massive amounts of cannons, which were NOT there when the OOB was built, like 40 odd cannons in one battery ??????????.

I'm hoping these kind of things may be gone when we get v2, but the main thing is the order system working correctly.

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
« Réponse #41 le: 12 juin 2010, 18:36:09 pm »
Paragraph for JMM (I presume he reads this) :
Personally, I am waiting as many others, I suppose, the new release of LG before I dive again in LG. When we paid for LG, we knew it was a beta version. Therefore I feel a bit let down when I read the new version is tested only by the "old" testers. Aren't Gunner24, Ajlewisbrookes, Alfieri amongst those who should be invited to test the new release? Of course, in case you scorn for testing all the others devotees to our beloved game.

Cheers from a like wounded afficionado,
GP.

GP, thanks for the vote of confidence in me and the guys but it is misplaced mate. I have no computer/programming experience whatever. In a way we are Beta testing but it's the unofficial pbem workaround, now known as "NBC pbem Mode".
I have full confidence that the game will eventually be working in all modes correctly and have nothing but praise for the work done so far. Our attempt with Alfiere and the NBC guys to produce a workaround was born out of the love of the game and the need to contribute to the Histwar community as a whole and not just leave everything to JMM with all the pressure that entails.
We have pbem battles being fought and happy Gronards again. Although the mode isn't perfect, I only wish the idea had come to light sooner.

Hors ligne GrosPaul

• Chef de Bataillon
Re : Re : PBEM battle Alf V Aj test Workaround
« Réponse #42 le: 12 juin 2010, 19:13:02 pm »
GP, thanks for the vote of confidence in me and the guys but it is misplaced mate. I have no computer/programming experience whatever. In a way we are Beta testing but it's the unofficial pbem workaround, now known as "NBC pbem Mode".
AJ mate :
- I know fromthe start my message to JMM was misplaced but I feel and am to old to find another place to spill my bean.
- I don't understand your "I have no computer/programming experience whatever" in this approached. "LG" is for everybody ! That is everybody should appreciate it. A tester have to note what is not running correctly from a CinC point of view and not from an informatician. That is the job for JMM.

I have full confidence that the game will eventually be working in all modes correctly and have nothing but praise for the work done so far. Our attempt with Alfiere and the NBC guys to produce a workaround was born out of the love of the game and the need to contribute to the Histwar community as a whole and not just leave everything to JMM with all the pressure that entails.
We have pbem battles being fought and happy Gronards again. Although the mode isn't perfect, I only wish the idea had come to light sooner.
For sure all appraised the contributions from all "non official" testers working with the "old actual version" but who could denied all those efforts could be more usefull if you were working with the "02 beta version" ?  hehehe ... be honest pal   :smile:

Cheers,
GP.

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
« Réponse #43 le: 12 juin 2010, 20:36:12 pm »
For sure all appraised the contributions from all "non official" testers working with the "old actual version" but who could denied all those efforts could be more usefully if you were working with the "02 beta version" ?  hehehe ... be honest pal   

GP, I know what you mean about "spilling Bean", let's say "Letting off Steam" you sometimes feel that you have got to be heard.
I would much rather contribute to the Histwar community in an unofficial capacity, it doesn't carry the same official recognition but I don't need that.  I have the personal satisfaction of helping NBC team develop a method of playing pbem while awaiting the fix.
We have been able to share this with others and so I feel the Histwar community as a whole has benefited

hehehe ... be honest pal

I cannot deny that a few of us have had that discussion in the past mainly based on the amount of hours we were putting in to pbem already, however we are so caught up in trying to actually win battles and progress on our campaign map, that the subject disappeared from our thoughts

Hors ligne Alfiere

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #44 le: 13 juin 2010, 10:51:44 am »
Advantage when play PBEM temporary.
I have watch my battle with Ajle and i have controlled my orders (cursor over CC , F7 , orders) with pag down and up also historic orders.
Many many orders are ok, sometimes however i have seen reception order hour 0.0  or 8.0 start battle , these order be followed if executed.
Play for 15 min for side is possible follow these orders and if not executed cancelled and be repeated.
clearly the game launch with option orders->immediate
Thing not possible at once with PBEM (give orders and send file to opponent )
« Modifié: 13 juin 2010, 12:13:43 pm par Alfiere »