Auteur Sujet: The Changes of Tactics/Strategies throughout history  (Lu 9871 fois)

Hors ligne Count von Csollich

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
Re : The Changes of Tactics/Strategies throughout history
« Réponse #15 le: 04 mai 2010, 15:45:12 pm »
what is the main difference between Alexander the Great's tactics on a battlefield and the tactics of Napoleon? - is there any main difference? - again a qzestion of how much has changed...was the sarissa-phalanx the line-infantry of 300BC? - was the "Macedon-Cavalry" - the Cuirassier of the time?

CvC
« Modifié: 04 mai 2010, 16:22:20 pm par Count von Csollich »
"parcere subiectis et debellare superbos", Vergil

Hors ligne Jean Lafitte

• Capitaine
  • Lafitte at The Battle of New Orleans
« Réponse #16 le: 05 mai 2010, 15:52:03 pm »
I'm not sure that I'm very good at comparing tactics in 300 BC to tactics in 1800 AD. That's a very broad concept that might be beyond my expertise.

The Strategic Art does have some constants, axioms and fundamentals that have been around for a long time. Sun Tzu, for example.
La République nous appelle
Sachons vaincre ou sachons périr
Un Français doit vivre pour elle
Pour elle un Français doit mourir.

Hors ligne Count von Csollich

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
Re : Re : The Changes of Tactics/Strategies throughout history
« Réponse #17 le: 05 mai 2010, 16:01:48 pm »
I'm not sure that I'm very good at comparing tactics in 300 BC to tactics in 1800 AD. That's a very broad concept that might be beyond my expertise.

The Strategic Art does have some constants, axioms and fundamentals that have been around for a long time. Sun Tzu, for example.

actually it was never my idea to make only people post, who think they have the "expertise" to post on that topic...I had a similar discussion with one of my professors just a week ago, and we ended up comparing tactics for over 5 hours - somehow we missed that daylight was gone when we had finished... :roll:

it's a vast topic - as you said Jean, strategies are more constant (Sun Tzu, von Clausewitz, Jomini...), but it is my strong belief that also tactics didn't change in their fundamental basis...so my approach for this topic was:

get people to talk about the different ages, battles, and then compare the tactics - I am sure everyone here has some time he is particularly interested, if so - please post something here - we can only profit from all of the thoughts and ideas...

CvC
"parcere subiectis et debellare superbos", Vergil

Hors ligne Jean Lafitte

• Capitaine
  • Lafitte at The Battle of New Orleans
« Réponse #18 le: 06 mai 2010, 23:42:54 pm »
I would be very interested in reading your account of your conversation, please.

Could you sort of write it out for us here in a post? It sounds like a great conversation.
La République nous appelle
Sachons vaincre ou sachons périr
Un Français doit vivre pour elle
Pour elle un Français doit mourir.