Auteur Sujet: Am I missing something?  (Lu 2867 fois)

Hors ligne TC27

• Soldat
Am I missing something?
« le: 25 mars 2010, 14:29:11 pm »
First of all i want to say I love the game - first time I have ever felt like I am commanding an Napoleonic army - also the pontential for what can be done with this system is massive - really looking forward to seeing how the game evolves.

I played the army level tutorial battle last night and while I understand how to get army corps to deploy in particular areas I am not sure how I order an offensive movement  and attack the enemy - at the moment I simply 'Deploy to a line' then order an 'March to an area' to where the enemy is located.

I am not entirely sure I am doing this right - I thought I had paid attention ion the Tutorial!

Any help greately appreciated!

Hors ligne Count von Csollich

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
Re : Am I missing something?
« Réponse #1 le: 25 mars 2010, 14:34:30 pm »
The "deploy" order is the offensive order, simply order to deploy behind! the enemy line...but keep in mind, the further you give the order to deploy behind the line, the more scattered your corps will get...

you can use the "deploy" order also to retreat....simply set to deploy behind your line...and the corps will start moving backwards (if not otherwise occupied  :mrgreen:)

CvC
"parcere subiectis et debellare superbos", Vergil

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #2 le: 25 mars 2010, 14:58:08 pm »
at the moment I simply 'Deploy to a line' then order an 'March to an area' to where the enemy is located.

That's pretty much how we used to do it in ANGV:  deploy in line facing the direction you want to attack, then order an advance and let the units figure out where to stop and fire.

It's not quite the same here, as Count von Csollich explained above.  The main thing here is that the "march to area" order doesn't keep formation, but has everyone moving independently at their best speed.  It may be useful for getting a corps to a new location in a hurry, but it's not a combat formation.

When you give a Deploy order, it covers both the initial deployment and the movement to contact, all of which is handled by the corps commander, and the units move in a combat formation.  They will also halt for artillery preparation if they encounter enemy resistance, and may retreat and regroup if necessary. 

Something to remember:  Both march to area and defend on line will have the individual units move directly to their final positions, without supporting other units in the corps.  It's only the deploy and diversion orders that moves the entire corps in a proper formation for combat.  If you wish to form a defensive line somewhere deep in enemy territory, it's better to give a deploy order near where you want the defensive line, then issue the defensive line order separately for execution after they arrive.  They usually form defensive line automatically if they have no further orders.

Hook

Hors ligne TC27

• Soldat
« Réponse #3 le: 25 mars 2010, 18:46:03 pm »
Thanks guys - this makes alot of sense and fits in with the battle last night....I am still getting used to having competent AI  sub commanders in a game :shock:

Hook - I remember you and a couple of other handles from the SMx, WNLB and ANGV days on the Angle forum - its good to see you guys are still around all these years later.

Hors ligne TC237

• Sergent
« Réponse #4 le: 25 mars 2010, 20:29:12 pm »
TC27 ?  :shock:
oy vey......
 :smile: