Auteur Sujet: Napoleons offensive at Leipzig  (Lu 5627 fois)

Hors ligne Smokehammer

• Caporal
Napoleons offensive at Leipzig
« le: 23 mars 2010, 22:44:56 pm »
What do you think would've been the outcome of the battle if Napoleons offensive in the south had suceeded in defeating the allies cavalry counter attacks and seperating the Russians and Prussians from the Austrians? Would the allies have withdrawn like at Dresden, or would they have stayed to await the arrival of reinforcements.

Overall I think the Allied armies in 1813 were too big to fail, and commanders such as Schwarzenberg had learned to catuiously avoid contact with Napoelon and to concentrate on defeating his subordinates instead. Even if Napoleon had won a tactical victory and forced an allied withdrawl I think he would still have been stragetically defeated eventually.

Hors ligne Montecuccoli

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateur
  • Colonel
Re : Napoleons offensive at Leipzig
« Réponse #1 le: 23 mars 2010, 22:57:01 pm »
I think that Ney was right in considering a trap trying to defend in Germany, politics aspects were far superior that mere military ones and that caused the death of the Napoleonic strategy.

A Withdraw to France had to face with the withdraws from French Empire by Rhine Confederation and maybe Batavia (Napoleon relatives were not so prone to obey when they were crowned); so Napoleon thought he was compelled to stay in Germany and fight.

The result, in my opinion, is that he managed to make an offensive delaying strategy but without a proper Grande Armee.

Napoleon initial position in term of strategy for Leipzig campaign could be similar to Leuthen / Zorndorf Campaign by Fredrich Der Grosse, however he lacked a trained Army.

So, answering the question, the final results of the campaign 1813-1814 i don't think they could be so different.
Histwar beta tester

Hors ligne Jean Lafitte

• Capitaine
  • Lafitte at The Battle of New Orleans
« Réponse #2 le: 29 mars 2010, 04:07:12 am »
The 1813 Campaign, as Napoleon decided to fight it, would have been very, very difficult for Napoleon to win it.

The Allies had really stepped up their game by 1813. Their commanders, armies and strategy improved over the years.

The odds were so heavy against Napoleon at Leipzig that I cannot imagine how he could have won that battle by forcing an Allied retreat.
La République nous appelle
Sachons vaincre ou sachons périr
Un Français doit vivre pour elle
Pour elle un Français doit mourir.

Hors ligne Moliere

• Officier d'HistWar : Grognard de la Vieille Garde
  • Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #3 le: 30 mars 2010, 13:19:01 pm »
Agree with all of you.

French victories of lutzen and dresde were not enough for a total victory due mainly to a lack of cavalvry (remember that during the russian campain 100 000 horses died).

Other information :

The excellent General Moreau was a french general who join the allies and he was killed at the battle of Dresde by his country men.
A cannon ball cut him the legs..

M
Dès que l'infanterie aura abordé l'ennemi, nous chargerons sur les canons et leur bouclerons la gueule ! General Fournier a la berezina

Hors ligne Jean Lafitte

• Capitaine
« Réponse #4 le: 02 avril 2010, 16:25:51 pm »
For 1813:

One is tempted to say that The Emperor should have accepted Metternich's negotiated peace terms that would allowed Napoleon to retain his office.

However, one must also wonder: Could the Allies be trusted? If The Emperor accepted the terms and peacefully retreated back to France, would the Allies simply have found some pretext for the renewal of hostilities until they had completely destroyed The Emperor?

Hors ligne Montecuccoli

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateur
  • Colonel
« Réponse #5 le: 02 avril 2010, 16:28:50 pm »
I suppose they should be trusted, for they feared a long lasting war against the Emperor.

By doing so Napoleon maybe could be forced to some other offensive in 1814 but from France and so with more interior lines that the ones he had in Germany.
Histwar beta tester

Hors ligne Jean Lafitte

• Capitaine
« Réponse #6 le: 09 avril 2010, 01:06:23 am »
Yes, those are good points.

I would have advised The Emperor in 1813 to accept Metternich's offer to mediate Peace, and to accept the best terms of Peace that could be obtained.  I would have advised, "In War, France has prospered economically. With some years of Peace, France will dominate Europe economically, and that is something that England cannot prevent."

Finally, I would have said,  "And, Sire.  If you grow tired of life in a Peaceful Europe, you can always go to live in New Orleans !  The people there love you and would be thrilled to have you live in their City.  And you would certainly be King of the Mardi Gras, at least!  Mayor and perhaps Governor, if you like ! "

« Modifié: 09 avril 2010, 01:10:01 am par Jean Lafitte »