Auteur Sujet: the Battle of Ebelsberg 1809  (Lu 12423 fois)

Hors ligne Count von Csollich

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
the Battle of Ebelsberg 1809
« le: 23 mars 2010, 13:31:26 pm »
it's been a long time, since we discussed other battles, besides the one everybody keeps talking about - so I thought I'd start off a new topic on a small battle in Austria during the retreat of 1809 which finally led to the battles of Apsern-Essling and Wagram...

I won't say more on the battle itself, some of you might have the new books of John H.Gill...so you might know a lot about it already...I've got a wonderful book written by an officer of the Austrian army myself...which only discusses this particular battle...

my question to start the discussion off: Had Hiller authorized the use of his huge reserves, would they have arrived in time to throw the French out of the town again?...the first counterattack with smaller forces showed considerable success...until the French committed more troops...the Vienna Volunteers fought rather well, considering that they had several newly recruited companies with them. the few guns the Austrians had, were placed well and caused significant casualties amongst the French troops...
finally the town had to be abandoned, as the Austrians were outnumbered and outwitted (as several times before and after Ebelsberg) - so another brilliant victory for the French, who fought outstandingly bravely - but nevertheless a victory which was also due to Austrian mismanagement, bad intel and even worse leadership...

so again the questions...did Hiller have enough reason and intel to send in his reserves?

CvC
« Modifié: 23 mars 2010, 22:48:20 pm par Count von Csollich »
"parcere subiectis et debellare superbos", Vergil

Hors ligne Jean Lafitte

• Capitaine
  • Lafitte at The Battle of New Orleans
Re : the Battle of Ebelsberg 1809
« Réponse #1 le: 23 mars 2010, 23:59:20 pm »
Gosh, I sure don't know enough about this battle to express any kind of opinion !

You will probably have to teach many of us about it.
La République nous appelle
Sachons vaincre ou sachons périr
Un Français doit vivre pour elle
Pour elle un Français doit mourir.

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
« Réponse #2 le: 01 avril 2010, 13:17:13 pm »
The encounter at Ebelsberg:

I tried to list the actions chronological, as there is still a lot of discussion going on, whether it really happened as reported by most of the historians.

If some of you would like to hear more of the "road to Ebelsberg": tell me...but there is much in the more popular books nowadays anyway...if anyone would like to add the French way of looking at the battle, yuo are most welcome and invited even...we could then start a civilized and objective dicussion on what really happened!  ;)

I'll split the battle into several parts...if you're not interested I can always stop – no offence taken...

0800, 3rd May 1809

The main colomn of Austrians passes trough Kleinmünchen and reaches with the head of the column Ebelsberg. At the same time French Cavalry appears near Niedernhart. Also in front of Radetzky – who is guarding in the direction of Wels, several details of French Cavalry appear.

In the little town of Ebelsberg Chaos is everywhere: Cavalrymen want to be resupplied, and the infantrymen have started cooking, as they have already been on the road for 7 hours. Artillery is being positioned at high and good ground. In the meantime – the French have arrived at Linz – and occupied the town, and its supplies without resistance (supplies which had been denied for the Austrian troops two days before...)

first skirmishes take place outside of Kleinmünchen. At the same time, the Column of Schustekh arrives coming from Leonding at Oberhart – eventually – and tries to reach the passing over the Traun with as little losses as possible. Meanwhile the bridges over the Traun are being prepared for destruction. In the Chateau of Ebelsberg lunch is prepared for FM Hiller, commander of the 6th Corps.

The Austrians have reached their final deployment areas: at the marketplace of Ebelsberg the 1st and the 2nd bataillon of Grenzers are positioned (reinforced by a company of Crownprince-Archduke-Ferdinand-sharpshooters)
3 companies of the 2nd bataillon IR 29 are stationed in the chateau under the command of Oberstleutnant von Pflüger. In close support: the first part of the 5th Corps: 8 companies  IR 29, the entire regiments IR 58, IR7, the 3rd bataillon IR 38, 3rd bataillon IR 46 and the 3rd bataillon IR 23.
the 5th bataillon of IR 58 was stationed as support of the howitzers on the heights of the Gloriette.
On the nearby Schildenberg the main forces of the 5th and the 6th Corps deploy – with the 5th being on the right and the 6th being on the left.
On the far right the Vienna Volunteers – and in the center on the road FM Dedovich, and to his left the Brigade Weissenwolff. The main bulk of the Austrian artillery is on the road near Pichling, and the Liechteinstein Hussars are covering the area near Gottschalling. The 2nd Reserve corps is stationed even further back with ourposts near St.Florian and Tillysburg.
At the same time on the French side: One squadron of the 19th Chasseurs à Cheval encounters the enemy near the Scharlinger Forest. Marulaz realizes  instantly that he's powerless with his cavlary – and requests infantrysupport from Masséna.

until the Infantry comes up, Marulaz orders the 19th, the 23rd and the 15th Chasseur à Cheval in line up front and the  cavalry of the Coalition of the Rhine into the second line as support.
The French Cavalry now tries to turn the Austrian right.... which leads to several skirmishes with the Rosenberg-Chevaulegers. Marulaz is worried by something else though: the column of Schustekh appears on this right flank – which leads to his decision to order the Dragoon regiment of Baden under AdC Trenquallye to wheel right to counter this movement...surprisingly Trenquallye does not charge.
As he arrives on the plains, Schustekh feels not only endangered by the Dragoons, but also by the light Cavalrey Brigade Piré which appears on the road to the west – he fears that his retreat might be cut off...
Surprisingly a attempted Austrian Charge, which is halted, is enough to drive the French off the field. Therefore Schustekh uses the opportunity to move his main forces to Kleinmünchen and safety – only the 2nd bataillon of Klebek-Infantry falls behind and is taken prisoner.
More French forces arrive on the field and a major combat is imminent

so much for the first part... 8)
if you like to read more...would be an interesting discussion I think...if not – no prob  ;)

CvC

Sources for my text here:
 I took the report mostly out of: Heft 9, Militärhistorische Schriftenreihe, Hrsg. Heeresgeschichtliches Museum (militärwissenschaftliches Institut), Rudolf Walter Litschel: Das Gefecht bei Ebelsberg, am 3.Mai 1809
and:
Bei Linz und Ebelsberg:, Major Hugo Kerchnawe, 1910, Wien und Leipzig, C.W.Stern

« Modifié: 01 avril 2010, 17:25:11 pm par Count von Csollich »

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
« Réponse #3 le: 01 avril 2010, 23:57:21 pm »
oh I forgot: some maps to get a better picture and have a reference to my text above:

http://www.napoleon-series.org/images/military/maps/1809/ebersberg.jpg

http://www.napoleon-series.org/images/military/maps/1809/ebelsberg1.jpg

CvC

PS: posting an internet-adress helps me avoid scanning in my maps...but mine look pretty much the same, especially like the first one!
« Modifié: 02 avril 2010, 00:15:01 am par Count von Csollich »

Hors ligne DominiqueT

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
    • Les Monuments de l'Empire
« Réponse #4 le: 02 avril 2010, 09:38:52 am »
Very interesting, please keep on going !

Here is a picture of how the battlefield looks like nowadays.
The Traun is still an impressive river.

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
« Réponse #5 le: 02 avril 2010, 20:19:19 pm »
thanks for the pic, I've been there myself just last summer (only one hour's drive with my Honda from where I study  :smile:)

this picture will greatly help with better understanding the fights on the bridges and around the castle!

I'll write the next part as soon as I have time!  ;)

CvC

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
« Réponse #6 le: 04 avril 2010, 12:44:05 pm »
Here the next part: - for orientation please use the maps above and the picture of today's Ebelsberg, generously provided by my fellow Officer DominiqueT!

the following  actions take place between 1100 and 1200:

The Brigade Coëhorn, coming from the direction of Linz,  arrives at the position of Marulaz and starts deploying immediately. As the Austrian commander on the field, FM Vincent, doesn't want to risk a real fight, he issues the order to retreat immediately, as soon as the column Schustekh arrives at Kleinmünchen. The French start their pursuit, and althouth the Austrian artillery on the other side of the river Traun joinis the fight, the retreat of the Austrians is unorganized at best!
Vincent's decision directly effects Radetzky's columns, as he has no knowledge of the retreat of the Austrian centre. He finally finds out about it, when the French infantry is already advancing on the town of Kleinmünchen! - There is only one possible order for Radetzky left to give, and it must have been a difficult one: with all possible haste he gathers all his available troops and hurries towards the bridges over the Traun. - his outposts however, and his forward troops remain behind, as they are out of reach for new orders, and are left at the mercy of the enemy (personal note: I've read in the correspondence, that he was very disturbed about this failure of proper communication – a problem which would finally lead to the defeat of the Austrians at Ebelsberg – a problem which didn't happen the first time that obviously)
Meanwhile the bridges were overhauled by utter chaos. Although the Austrian defenders tried to prevent the French from crossing over using everything at their disposal including  the bayonett, the first enemies arrive on the other side along with the still retreating Austrians of the centre and the two other columns.
Général de Brigade Coëhorn reliazes what big an opportunity has presented itslef to him! He puts himself in front of the Tirailleure Corse and orders them to attack the enemy defenses on the other side of the bridge head on!

The fight around the bridgehead continues, with neither side getting the better part of it. The Austrian infantry and their supporting artillery defend their position with courage and determination. Nevertheless they finally have to retreat and give up their position, as soon as the French have infiltrated the first few houses on the riverside and after the Gatetower, overlooking the bridge, has been taken. Meanwhile remaining Austrian units are still attempting to cross the bridge, being hopelessly intermingled with the Frecnh troops advancing via the same way!
After a short combat pause, which Coëhorn uses to rally his troops and to disappoint an attempt to blow up the bridge, the French attack again. For this purpose he formes a strong centre supported by two groups on each side. The left group is ordered to clear away the annoying Austrian guns on the heights and the right group is to advance against the south end of Ebelsberg. Général de Brigade Coëhorn's plan has one major flaw though: it doesn't include the chateau in any way...a mistake which will soon cost many a brave Frenchman his life!

Coëhorn's centre is under heavy fire from the chateau. Nevertheless they advance at a steady pace. Claparède finally brought up his Birgades Lesuire and Ficatier with 2 guns for support. At the same time the rest of Claparèdes artillery deploys on both sides of the bridges and opens up on the Austrian batteries as soon as the guns are unlimbered (personal remark: another account of counter-battery fire – this time ordered however – which considerable effect – during the upcoming duel between the two sides!)
Marulaz would like to see his horsemen be part of the action as well, but he has to retire due to the unfavourable terrain. From then on the French cavalry remains behind as a spectator only.

What is still to come: the French repeatedly attack the chateau – they finally take the village – the Austrian counterattack – Hiller's failure to assess the situation correctly and use the opportunity to defeat the isolated French troops – the eventual retreat of the Austrians

CvC

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
« Réponse #7 le: 04 avril 2010, 17:05:34 pm »
The following happened between 1230 and 1330 – the small skirmish from the beginning is now a full engagement:

Following up the Brigade Coëhorn are the Brigades Lesuire and Ficatier – when the head of the column reach the the gatetower, bad news is brought to GdB Coëhorn: the detachment on his left succeeded to clear off the Austrian guns on the heights but as soon as it reached the ditch, which surrounds the chateau, it was thrown back in disorder, by a local counterattack of the 5th bataillon IR 58 under Oberstleutnant Pirquet.

At the same time, the Lesuire's Brigade arrives at the Market and finds a passage leading from there to the chateau and attempts to roll up the Austrian position, which fails though – initially.
Claparède finally arrives personally on the field and realizes instantly that the chateau is the key position of the town. He therefor orders his last Brigade, Ficatier's to attack and take it. Ficatier immediately dispatches three columns for this task. The first one climbs up to the watergate, the second one directly up the slope and the third tries to flank the defenders by marching alongside the Traun river to attack the chateau from the rear. The fight for the chateau is imminent!
The first and the second column were fought off, with the French leaving many dead and wounded behind...the third column however attacked the Austrians in the flank under Oblt Pirquet, pushing them back at first...but then the gros of this column turned to the right, having caused the loss of all Austrian officers including Pirquet, into the ditch of the chateau. The French were in the belief this would lead to the castle, however it lead them straight back to the market place, which changed the situation considerably for the moment.

while the fight for the chateau is still going on, the advanced skirmishers of Coëhorns brigade reach the heights behind Ebelsberg, where the Austrian troops are just preparing their meals. They didn't expect any attack; and thus thought of the battlesounds in the town's market place only to be a mere rear-guard action. Now the situation is highly dangerous for the Austrians. Amongst the first to realize this is Oberstleutnant Küffel: Within only a few minutes he orders the 5th bataillon of the Vienna volunteers to deploy on the left, the 4th on the right and the 6th in the centre. Being properly deployed he orders the advance.
Nevertheless the French put up fierce resistance. Only with the upcoming Austrian cavalry support, which enters the fight, they finally have to retire towards Ebelsberg. Meanwhile, the volunteers are being reinforced, mainly by the IR 29 and the 3rd bataillon IR 18. Finally the 1st and 3rd bataillon IR 40 join the advance-movement as well. With all these forces converging on the town and under heavy pressure, the French are left with no choice but to withdraw, for the time being!
At the same time around the chateau: Intensive fighting is continuing around the main building and the ditch. After the defeat of Oblt Pirquet, Hauptmann von Siegler attempts to attack the French with parts of IR 7, but the French are faster in occupying the favourable ground. Nevertheless he puts himself at the head of his columns and charges straight at them, which succeed in pushing the French back. One part of the French retreats by jumping into the river Traun, the other part surrenders. Following up his successfull attack, he orders the defense and holds, although the French make three subsequent attempts to dislodge him from his newly gained position!
Meanwhile the Vienna volunteers under Hauptmann (Captain) Schluderer – who later receives the title of nobility "Eagle of the Traun" for it – advance right up to the main town plaza and the French are forced to retreat in disorder. Following up the Volunteers is the 1st bataillon IR 49 and the Austrians now start thinking about retaking the Gatetower and the bridge, some even about counterattacking over the bridge...

CvC

This is the climax of the Austrian success – because they failed to exploit the fruits of their successful counterattack!
Next: the French rally and counterattack themselves.

Hors ligne Jean Lafitte

• Capitaine
« Réponse #8 le: 05 avril 2010, 02:06:54 am »
Great stuff !

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
« Réponse #9 le: 08 avril 2010, 00:01:10 am »
The following happened between 1400 and 1500 – the counter-attack was successful, yet unexploited – the French are reinforced by Legrand's Division and hold their position with courage and bravery!

The Austrian counterattack was successful. Claparède's Divison was pushed back, suffering considerable losses of dead, wounded and prisoners in the process. Now the  perfect opportunity for FML Hiller would have finally been there, to strike and strike hard – but he's indecisive and finally unwilling to commit more troops to this fight: He never had any other intention but to save his main forces and continue his organized retreat. In addition he had received news that strong French reinforcements were closing in on him from the direction of Wels.
The French are much more determined to win this fight: Claparède and Coëhorn won't yield despite the fact that their troops have already accomplished a 30 km march and have already endured a major  rearguard action. But they have confidence in their Marshall Masséna to send reinforcements and support them – and he doesn't leave them to their fate.
Austrian guns are being unlimbered at the Gatetower and Corporal Johann Gabler, 4th artillery-regiment – reassigned to the horse-artillery battery of Radetzky – makes heroic attempts to set the buildings ablaze, which are still occupied by the French -nevertheless the French put up a stubborn defense and their determination is rewarded: finally Legrand's division arrives on the field, having marched the final part of the way from Linz to Ebelsberg at the double-quick.

Legrand arrives at the river Traun with Ledru's Brigade. Anyone who stands in their way is either shot or thrown in the river, even French Staff-officers (personal remark: I only found this account in this book, not in the other sources – but there might be a  confirmation for this  in another source!).
The Austrians have no chance to hold against this onslaught. Legrand reaches the Enns-Gate and pushes forward. From this moment onward the Austrians start to put up stiff resistance: a fierce fight starts for possession of the town – where the Austrians finish first – a result which even hurts more for the French as their attempts to take the chateau are equally thwarted. But Masséna doesn’t give up. He was amidst the fight for the main town plaza, which is more and more consumed by the flames. Two years later Masséna admits: We were in a very dangerous situation. Most of my staff-officers were wounded, but we fought on for the prestige, and we hoped for reinforcements to arrive, although the bridges were in such a terrible state that they only could be used by infantry any longer.”

quite contrary to the fact that the French believe they need more reinforcements, they don’t in fact – because the Austrians have started to withdraw – who issued this order, remains unclear. Starting the retreat was Obstlt Pflüger, who abandons the chateau, which is subsequently occupied by Ledru’s Brigade, which in turn leads to the capture of many Austrians. At the market place the fighting hasn’t ended though, FML Dedovich experiences a few dangerous moments: as the 3rd bataillon IR 58 is ordered to move to  the Ennsgate, to deploy on the main market place, which of course fails, his horse is shot down underneath him, and it takes him several minutes to free himself – he was very close to being taken prisoner

CvC

the fighting reaches an end – the last  Austrians retreat in disorder – the town is entirely consumed by the flames – a conclusion

« Modifié: 09 avril 2010, 13:20:29 pm par Count von Csollich »

Hors ligne Jean Lafitte

• Capitaine
« Réponse #10 le: 09 avril 2010, 01:02:07 am »
I hope that no beautiful young women were harmed in the battle.

8)

Hors ligne zu Pferd

• Colonel
    • [IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/20f5jja.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/20f5jja.jpg[/IMG]
« Réponse #11 le: 23 décembre 2010, 07:14:15 am »
Even though its an old post, I would like to say that it would make for a great small battle for HistWar, Count.
Sadly I haven't had a computer for awhile... so no way to keep up.
I have the book with Eagles to Glory by Gill and I enjoyed it very much. The very first book I read on the subject, which
started the fire of interest so to speak.
I was in Austria last spring visiting my brother in law. He lives near Kufstein.  ahhh to have a couple of months to tour
around and check all this out :D

As far as what you were proposing in your commentary, I do not have enough reading material available to say either way.
It seems  Charles wanted  not to 'throw all with one roll'  after all the political up-rise of the German dutchies would more than
convince Napoleon that Germany was going to be tougher to get at.  There was Prussia as well, and I think Austria never
saw eye to eye with Berlin, although they had an enemy between them that could unite them.
There was a certain 'self interest'  and prestige to Austria if they turned out to be the vanquisher of Napoleon.
So perhaps Hiller had been given specific orders not to commit too much, I believe Charles intended to trap Napoleon into
spreading out  too much again and then bring the full weight of  his Whole army to bear, at some point.
His best chance in my mind was in April.
`` Non ridere, non lugere, neque detestari, sed inteligere``
Spinoza