Auteur Sujet: Why are cannons not scaled like Inf and Cav are ?.  (Lu 7094 fois)

Hors ligne Cyrano

• Officier HistWar
  • Adjudant
Re : Why are cannons not scaled like Inf and Cav are ?.
« Réponse #15 le: 24 mars 2010, 02:15:45 am »
IMHO, 1:1 modelling gains you nothing from a functional perspective.  The firepower is an internal calculation anyway, the frontage is right, and being at this scale permits you to actually see the figures.  You want to do this 1:1?  You can pretty much forget about ever SEEING the uniforms on the screen.  It'll be a series of little black sticks marching in the distance.  This, of course, is of a piece with the problem tabletop gamers face -- we love the detail of 25+ mm figures, but realize that TWO mm is actually the most appropriate height...even Siborne at 10mm is a bit big.

I wonder if some of this isn't about the concern that the battlefield looks too spread out.  If it is, then I commend to you a visit to pretty much any battlefield but Waterloo which was something of an oddity.  Walk Austerlitz, Jena, Eggmuhl, Leipzig and the like and realize that while local forces may have been dense, the "helicopter" view would have shown them pretty well spread apart.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Gentlemen songsters off on a spree, damned from here to eternity, God have mercy on such as we... -- The Whiffenpoofs

Hors ligne Duke of Earl

• Duc d’Earl
  • Général de Brigade
  • Duc d'Friedland
Re : Re : Why are cannons not scaled like Inf and Cav are ?.
« Réponse #16 le: 24 mars 2010, 16:16:12 pm »
Bonjour Messieurs,

By the way ..... I have discovered that each cannon in a battery counts as 1 flag .....  :)

So, for me, the pieces of the flag puzzle are:

Each battalion = 1 flag
Each squadron = 1 flag
Each cannon = 1 flag

Maybe I am wrong ..... but this seems to be consistent with unit data and game analyse .....  :?

Cordialement, DoE

Bonjour Messieurs,

Now .... I am no sure cannon = 1 flag .... :?

But, scale of game is ok with me ....  :)

Cordialement, DoE