Auteur Sujet: Which Graphics card do you have?  (Lu 5631 fois)

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
Which Graphics card do you have?
« le: 27 avril 2010, 16:30:35 pm »
I was going to buy a new PC just for gaming but my wife (Who's insurance settlement is funding it), insists I buy a Laptop so she can use it when we are away etc.. So my question is, given that I will be stuck with an onboard Graphics Card, what onboards in LAPTOPS are you guys finding work without gliding in HLG? Please give me the maker and model #

Thanks in advance

Hors ligne AnkLrd

• Major
Re : Which Graphics card do you have?
« Réponse #1 le: 27 avril 2010, 17:04:21 pm »
I am not a good adviser for comp. issue but another help i can do to you...i never buy a laptop, especailly a shared one with a wife. :D Just think about she taking it with her saying she needs it for 3-4 hours !  What would happen to your Histwar life  :p

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
« Réponse #2 le: 27 avril 2010, 17:09:07 pm »
It's just a spare Rustem, I've got 3 PC's.  She will only get to use it when we're away. I really want it because HLG can make you a little insular and I want the freedom of movement, my whole house is a wifi hotspot, summers coming and I will be able to sit out on the patio etc...

Hors ligne AnkLrd

• Major
Re : Re : Which Graphics card do you have?
« Réponse #3 le: 27 avril 2010, 17:15:06 pm »
It's just a spare Rustem, I've got 3 PC's...
I should have thought that...a histwar addict not risking his position  :D your  right.

Hors ligne Franciscus

• Colonel
« Réponse #4 le: 27 avril 2010, 18:14:12 pm »
I play HWLG on my desktop and in an old (4 years old) ASUS laptop with an ATI x700 128 mb graphics gard (but 2 Gig RAM). It plays well  :smile:.
Nevertheless, if you are buying a laptop there are a few things to consider. I am also thinking of buying one but have not yet got the permission from the Treasury Sec...I mean wife  :mrgreen:

you should think: How much you want to spend vs for what you want the laptop ?.
To play HWLG I would say that pretty much any 500€ laptop would do. But if you are just a bit serious about gaming, you must have a dedicated graphics card (not Intel) and at least 2 Gig RAM. Also you should think about weight and battery time: is it going to be a "desktop" replacement or a truly portable PC ?  ;)

At the moment I am considering an ASUS N71JQ - 4 Gig RAM, ATI 5730 1Gig graphic card, good price (aroung 1100-1200 euros). A bit heavy, nevertheless.

Regards

Hors ligne thilio

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #5 le: 27 avril 2010, 23:01:11 pm »
You should also think about the screen size and resolution.
In my opinion, HW deserve at least a 15'.
I have a 15.5' with a 1440x900 resolution and I regret not having chosen the 1920x1200...

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
« Réponse #6 le: 27 avril 2010, 23:12:21 pm »
Guys, I'm looking at the Toshiba Satellite L505D-LS5007. Amd Dual core processor 2.0g each. 3g DDR2 ram. (8g max). 1366 X 768 res, Radeon 4100 graphics. 15.6 inch screen. I will use a second larger monitor most of the time. $429

Input please

Hors ligne thilio

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #7 le: 27 avril 2010, 23:19:56 pm »
Not an experienced input about Toshiba....Having only Dell laptop provided at work.
Processor, Ram and graphic card seem OK for HW.
As said above, resolution is maybe not enough for the small details of the HW 3D view.

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
« Réponse #8 le: 27 avril 2010, 23:27:02 pm »
I think I may be able to up the res using an external monitor or is it the Graphics card that limits it.  I'm also looking at the Lenovo Y550

Hors ligne thilio

• Général de Brigade
« Réponse #9 le: 27 avril 2010, 23:43:21 pm »
If you want to use an external monitor with higher res, I agree you should ask before whether the graphic card initially designed for low res is able to manage the monitor.
But I can't help you more about the performance of the Readon 4100...

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
« Réponse #10 le: 28 avril 2010, 02:17:26 am »
These are the specs of the one I'm looking at right now:

◦VISION Technology by AMD
Makes your digital photos and Web sites look amazing and gives a boost to digital music playback.
◦AMD Athlon™ II dual-core processor M300*
Features 2.0GHz processor speed, 667MHz system bus and 1MB L2 cache.
◦4GB DDR2 memory
For multitasking power.
◦Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM.
◦15.6" LED-backlit high-definition widescreen display
With Ultrabright technology and 1366 x 768 resolution showcases movies and games in stunning clarity.
◦500GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
Offers spacious storage and fast read/write times.
◦ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics
Features up to 1919MB of HyperMemory that supports Unified Video Decoder (UVD), OpenEXR High Dynamic-Range (HDR) technology, Shader Model 4.0 and Microsoft DirectX 10.0. HDMI port for connection to an HDTV.

Will this be OK for HLG

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
« Réponse #11 le: 28 avril 2010, 18:54:04 pm »
ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics
Features up to 1919MB of HyperMemory that supports Unified Video Decoder (UVD), OpenEXR High Dynamic-Range (HDR) technology, Shader Model 4.0 and Microsoft DirectX 10.0. HDMI port for connection to an HDTV.

OK I have checked this card out and it is a mid level that will handle all DirectX 9 games and is DirectX 10 capable, so it will do for HLG. It's not the best but Laptops cards are expensive and you can't upgrade like a PC.